Quantcast
Soundtracs MR console? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundtracs MR console?
Old 6th October 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Soundtracs MR console?

Anybody have any info on a Soundtracs MR board,a church in my area has one collecting dust.I could get it for a song but I have no idea what this board sounds like and it is a 32 by 8.I do not want to drag it out of there if it is sonically junk.It is a 1988 model with modular construction.
Any info would be great.
Thanks
Old 7th October 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
soundtracs

i have a soundtracs FM board. like it, but dont have much to compare it to. they are not junk, but they are not the worlds greatest boards. as far as value, i think soundtracs are a great way to go.

i would think that getting the MR board would be a big upgrade from a mackie, but could be a sidestep otherwise.

i have written to this guy a few times. he is nice. he will write you back. he is the expert on soundtracs. he runs this site.

http://www.studiosys.demon.co.uk/mixing_consoles.htm
Old 27th August 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro ➡️
From the thread soundtracs on 11th Sep 2006

I've just bought a soundtracs FM.

Its a great 16 channel desk (apart from the fact that I now have to modify the 'inserts' on every channel to make them direct outs, but hey ho).

The desk sounds great.

Why is though, that when I send directly out of my MOTU into the 16 'Line' ins on the soundtracs, and then solo a channel on playback... it doesn't bloody solo it?

Any ideas?
First, I thought i'd include this old post, as I still have the Soundtracs FM, and have also just bought the Soundtracs MR. So I thought i'd add some comments here, as there are some interesting points about both desks, and I want to promote the fantastic sound of Soundtracs here.

The FM is a 16-4-2 with optional line outs but mine only has line in and inserts. I modified my loom (TRS at the converter end and customised T and S to tip + ring at the other end - this converts the insert to 'line out' without having to do that old 'half out' trick).

I fell in love with the modular, 80's loveliness of this desk. Punchy EQ (if a little quirky in that it has push buttons that switch the sweeps up or down through the frequency range... takes some getting used to!). I used it initially to sum stereo groups from logic and PT. It added that 'pro' sound to my mixes straight away.

Then, around 4 weeks ago I was lucky enough to get my hands on David Gray's old Soundtracs MR console (well... apparently so. It came from his studio, and I have this on reliable authority). Its a 1988 desk. Its poignant because this was the year I started playing in my first ever band. Apparently it was around £12,000 when it first came out.

Its an awesome desk. Similar punchy sound, but better separation and EQ config than the FM. Slightly better (quad) pres as well. Great tape return/in line mixing functions and a truly wonderful stereo image. I am completely in love with Soundtracs MR. Take a look at Metrosound Studios St Albans | Rehearse and Record in the Heart of St Albans – Tel 07740 590835

Did first ever session through it on Thursday. The client was very very impressed. He thought it sounded amazing. Indie rock band. If you play this kind of music, this console is awesome.
Old 27th August 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Soundtracs MR - Does anyone else own one of these? Experiences anyone?

Ok, so won't go mad on these posts...but there's very little out there on Gearslutz on these consoles, so I thought i'd ask...

Firstly. My Soundtracs MR is apparently David Gray's old console. I use the word console (not desk) because in my opinion it is a console in every respect. It is totally modular, has fantastic bussing and sounds the absolute nuts. The EQ is awesome, as are the pres (on drums and guitars especially). I do also use API pres (and CAPI 312s, 25s and 26s) and when you put these back through the desk, it is a KILLER combination.

A 51x or 500 series rack with one of these desks, will give you PRO results. For a studio of my size, (a local little studio that local bands use) it has seriously stepped us up in class. I couldn't believe the 'pro' sound I was getting on playback through this desk.

Does anyone else have any experiences to share? I'm in love with mine. Its in great nick too!
Old 27th August 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I also love my Mx32. The pres and EQ's are great. If I had any complaint or caution I would say that these boards are thick. Some people would translate as muddy. I personally thing it is a good compliment to digital recording and in the Hybrid way I use it it works for me. My clients love it. And I get great drum sounds. It was really encouraging how much better the pre's sounded then your average off the shelf interface. Get it my friend. get it and use it.
📝 Reply