Quantcast
Chop Shop or Missing Link 2's - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chop Shop or Missing Link 2's
Old 29th July 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Chop Shop or Missing Link 2's

Debating on my next 500 series purchase. Can't decide between the Capi missing link 2's or the Chop Shop eq/filters I want to use for 2 bus duties behind the Capi VP28's any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you all
Old 29th July 2015
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabzmuzik ➑️
Debating on my next 500 series purchase. Can't decide between the Capi missing link 2's or the Chop Shop eq/filters I want to use for 2 bus duties behind the Capi VP28's any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you all

If you've already got vp28's then I'd definitely suggest the chop shops. The missing link is redundant following vp28's - which are basically vp26's with most of the missing link circuitry following - and quite possibly a little "too much" of a good thing. (IMO) The 28's already have more color than the missing links and they have most of the basic filtering options as well.. I love the ML's following OTHER pre's though.

The chop shops are awesome filters that are more flexible - very clean and functionable (is that a word?) and the focus is worth the price of admission by itself. Great tracking EQ's as well IMO.
Old 29th July 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
drBill,

Thanks for such a quick reply. I think I will go with the chop shop's then. I have other pres as well, just looking for something else to add to my 2 bus.
I was thinking sound sculptor tape simulator to Capi vp28's to serpent sb4001 to chopshop, anything you see wrong in this chain? Or perhaps a different order? Thanks
Old 29th July 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Other option would be great River into VC528's I have other preamps also just want to make the right choice.
Old 29th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
If you've already got vp28's then I'd definitely suggest the chop shops. The missing link is redundant following vp28's - which are basically vp26's with most of the missing link circuitry following - and quite possibly a little "too much" of a good thing. (IMO) The 28's already have more color than the missing links and they have most of the basic filtering options as well.. I love the ML's following OTHER pre's though.

The chop shops are awesome filters that are more flexible - very clean and functionable (is that a word?) and the focus is worth the price of admission by itself. Great tracking EQ's as well IMO.
Hey Dr.Bill, i asked this question in the chop shop thread but never got an answer. Would you say the chop shops are more of a tracking or mixing eq?
Old 30th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
anything you see wrong in this chain?
Yeah, it doesn't have one of these in it :

AES LA: Louder Than Liftoff announces Silver Bullet - drBill's Stereo Tone-Amp

Honestly, the semi-kludged together type of patching stuff in, the workflow, and the recallability aspect is why I came up with the Silver Bullet idea to begin with. I used to use vp28's and AML 1073's on my mix buss, but they have not seen their way onto it since I got the first Silver Bullet prototype.

I found there wasn't enough experimentation and tweaking that I could do with vp28's and AML 1073's on my mix bus with the SB4001 following them. This is coming out soon, and really solves (IMO obviously biased opinion ) all the issues involved with tracking, mixing, and putting analog goodness on your mix bus - plus adding killer API & Neve mic pre's to boot. You can actually check it out on the louder than liftoff website. Sorry for the cheap plug.....

Oh, and your order seems fine, but i'd def experiment with putting the tape sim after the vp28's as odd as that might sound.

Also, if you're using other mic pre's, the Missing Link's go GREAT after them. I've got those, the Chop Shops, and use the Missing Links after other mic pre's that don't have the "dual stage" that the vp28 has. It's just more console like to me.

Hope that helps...

bp
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Other option would be great River into VC528's I have other preamps also just want to make the right choice.
Personally, if you do that, I'd flip the order. Personal preference to hit an API stage first before the neve.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone ➑️
Hey Dr.Bill, i asked this question in the chop shop thread but never got an answer. Would you say the chop shops are more of a tracking or mixing eq?
First, you've got to know that I'm mixing hybrid now, and recall ability is SUPER important to me. My work flow now is to hit my outboard, and LEAVE the outboard (aside from the SB) untouched from mix to mix. At least leaving it set throughout any particular project I'm working on.

That said, I find filtering EXTREMELY dependent on what I'm feeding it, so I tend to like to do that ITB as it recalls perfectly and quickly and can be dependent on the track it on - and it leaves me not having to be tweeking all the time. Like I said, I want to keep my outboard laid out the way I want it and switch to something else if I need a different sound from the outboard FX. I've got lots of outboard that I've accumulated over the years, so that's pretty easy for me to do. Plus I like things like LA2a's and 3a's and other gear that has a simple sweet spot that I can hit via trimming into it ITB that doesn't require a lot of tweaking on.

So......all that said, PERSONALLY - for ME, the Chop Shops are the worlds greatest tracking EQ's. When I'm tracking I have to work FAST - my clients demand it - and fiddling with tweaky 4 band parametric and filters slow me down. During the mix, I'm fine with that, but for tracking - the Focus feature of the CS is one of the greatest tracking tools I've found - and the quickness of the filters just work great for me. So.......that's where I use em most.

Hope that helps. It was kind of a long way for a short answer.....
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
First, you've got to know that I'm mixing hybrid now, and recall ability is SUPER important to me. My work flow now is to hit my outboard, and LEAVE the outboard (aside from the SB) untouched from mix to mix. At least leaving it set throughout any particular project I'm working on.

That said, I find filtering EXTREMELY dependent on what I'm feeding it, so I tend to like to do that ITB as it recalls perfectly and quickly and can be dependent on the track it on - and it leaves me not having to be tweeking all the time. Like I said, I want to keep my outboard laid out the way I want it and switch to something else if I need a different sound from the outboard FX. I've got lots of outboard that I've accumulated over the years, so that's pretty easy for me to do. Plus I like things like LA2a's and 3a's and other gear that has a simple sweet spot that I can hit via trimming into it ITB that doesn't require a lot of tweaking on.

So......all that said, PERSONALLY - for ME, the Chop Shops are the worlds greatest tracking EQ's. When I'm tracking I have to work FAST - my clients demand it - and fiddling with tweaky 4 band parametric and filters slow me down. During the mix, I'm fine with that, but for tracking - the Focus feature of the CS is one of the greatest tracking tools I've found - and the quickness of the filters just work great for me. So.......that's where I use em most.

Hope that helps. It was kind of a long way for a short answer.....

Yep, great info

Thanks my good Dr.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Personally, if you do that, I'd flip the order. Personal preference to hit an API stage first before the neve.
Hmmmm maybe I better wait on the silver bullet
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I did find a Chop Shop Void edition
Old 31st August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
How are you liking it?
Old 3rd September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
How are you liking it?

Still haven't received it yet, should be here any day now
Old 3rd September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Congrats on scoring such a rare beast! Make sure when you get it that you register it using the activation code on the Void Corp card. That's the only way you'll be able to cash in on the sweet deal VC members are going to get on the Silver Bullet pre-order.

If you ever decide you need to make that single unit a pair let me know.

Definitely let us know what you think when you get it!

thanks,
Brad
Old 4th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➑️
Congrats on scoring such a rare beast! Make sure when you get it that you register it using the activation code on the Void Corp card. That's the only way you'll be able to cash in on the sweet deal VC members are going to get on the Silver Bullet pre-order.

If you ever decide you need to make that single unit a pair let me know.

Definitely let us know what you think when you get it!

thanks,
Brad
Brad thanks for the reply, unfortunately the studio I am purchasing it from said he did not register it but does not have the original box, so I think I am out of luck. I will have to go with the user crane or the Hammer Eq until I am able to replenish my gear money in order to get the Silver Bullet, so maybe next year. Maybe you will have offer for situations like mine. Will definitely provide feedback, but honestly you already know it's a killer piece
Old 4th September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Brad thanks for the reply, unfortunately the studio I am purchasing it from said he did not register it but does not have the original box, so I think I am out of luck. I will have to go with the user crane or the Hammer Eq until I am able to replenish my gear money in order to get the Silver Bullet, so maybe next year. Maybe you will have offer for situations like mine. Will definitely provide feedback, but honestly you already know it's a killer piece
Hi,

The important thing is that you have the product card with the activation card. Without that it will be hard for you to register via the Void Corp site. But send me an email through the Louder Than Liftoff website and I'll get you taken care of regardless. We'll get you signed up with Void Corp one way or another.

Brad
Old 12th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
How are you liking it?
Finally received my Void Edition Chop Shop. First let me say that the visuals are just plain gorgeous. It has made its way into my vocal chain. I have tried it on some other sounds as well and overall I like the fact that I can pretty much dial in what is needed pretty quickly. I am still working my around this unit. Thinking back I should have purchased another one for stereo pair.

Brad McGowan is an awesome guy. Been a pleasure dealing with him on a few questions I had. I hope Louder than Liftoff takes off so Brad can devote all of his efforts to products for us gearslutz to enjoy. Brad if your reading HURRY up with that Silver Bullet
πŸ“ Reply