Quantcast
AKG "C414" (current) vs "C414B" (previous), sound differences? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKG "C414" (current) vs "C414B" (previous), sound differences?
Old 25th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
AKG "C414" (current) vs "C414B" (previous), sound differences?

Hi guys,

What are the sound differences between the current model c414 and the older model c414B (circa 2004)? Of course I would hope people have experience with these by now, and I would really like them to compare the xlii with the xlii, but I am interested in any info as to the sound differences between these two mics.

Did a search for this info and found 2 previous discussions, one that ended in 2011 and one that ended in 2012, neither of which had answers to the sonic aspects of this question. Instead of revive the old posts I figured I'd make a new thread. I know there are 9 polar patterns on the newer c414 (vs 5 patterns on the c414b), some have speculated (in those other threads) that there may be a different capsule used in the newer version.

I have the 'B-xlii' version and want to know what is different. Any comparative info would be appreciated!! Thanks!
Old 25th June 2015
dkr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Same capsule, different mounting - Curing Condenser Confusion: An Audio History of the AKG C 414
Old 25th June 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks, I saw this too, though my version really isn't expanded upon (just a footnote..), but this doesn't really say whether there are any sound differences between the 'B xlii' and the newer 'xlii'..

Are both the xlii versions transformerless like the tlii?
Old 26th June 2015
dkr
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
As far as i understand all C414 versions since 1993 (B-TLII) are transformerless, so the current XLS/XLII (with and without preceding "B-") are transformerless.
This Recordingshacks-report claims that frequency response of the XLII (2009)matches the B-XLII (2004): AKG Acoustics C 414 XL II | RecordingHacks.com. There is a photo showing both versions - i can't see a notable difference of the capsule mounting there...
Old 26th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr ➑️
As far as i understand all C414 versions since 1993 (B-TLII) are transformerless, so the current XLS/XLII (with and without preceding "B-") are transformerless.
This Recordingshacks-report claims that frequency response of the XLII (2009)matches the B-XLII (2004): AKG Acoustics C 414 XL II | RecordingHacks.com. There is a photo showing both versions - i can't see a notable difference of the capsule mounting there...
Awesome!! Thanks for that info, much appreciated!
Old 22nd May 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Guys I want to get a AKG 414 XLS but I heard the newer model AKG 414's our worst than the old ones. I'm searching around for an old AKG 414 at the same price range if you guys have any suggestions.
Old 22nd May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr ➑️
Nice find! I've waded through a lot of noise on this forum about these mics and this pretty much sums things up nicely. Listening to the female voice on the the XLII, it sounds much like the original CK12, to my ears. I'd agree the teflon release is VERY dark. All of the other iterations of this mic sound good though. The newest iterations (XLS and XL2) sound as "nice" as the original- not exactly equal- but equally "nice."
πŸ“ Reply