The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann KH120a vs JBL LSR305
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Neumann KH120a vs JBL LSR305

Yeah, I know: Apples, meet Oranges.

But,

I've had the Neumanns for about 4 years and I needed another set of monitors for another space and read great things about the JBLs and saving lots of money, great!

Got the JBLs today and wtf: They are spitting my music right back at me! The Neumanns, I did not know that I was always having to WORK to hear things, they are so soft and delicate, almost mushy. But the JBL's, I hear everything so clearly. I'm kind of shocked, actually.

Anyone else compared the two?
Old 29th May 2015
Lux
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Not compared to kh120, but heard them in my room. Bought them to my son and I was impressed. My monitors are Event Opal and NHT m20. The imaging is very good, and I wonder how the new 7-series from Jbl sounds. They are kind of same type but more expensive and passive
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
yeah people are being quite complimentary about them...I thought this video showed that they and the 308 are pretty good...

Old 29th May 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha ➑️

But,

I've had the Neumanns for about 4 years and I needed another set of monitors for another space and read great things about the JBLs and saving lots of money, great!

Got the JBLs today and wtf: They are spitting my music right back at me! The Neumanns, I did not know that I was always having to WORK to hear things, they are so soft and delicate, almost mushy. But the JBL's, I hear everything so clearly. I'm kind of shocked, actually.

i was in the market for new monitors and after reading about the KH120s i was sold .. then the second cold dry moneyless winter after putting a new trans,fuel something,belt,batt,tires,brakes,rotors,calipers on my truck..so i just had to be patent .. well that ran out while mixing my current project ..i couldn't deal with all the noises of my D5s and my krkv8mkii's are harsh and translate to no himids ..so i grabbed my u5 and sold it for some 308s……holy crap ..at first a lil bright and not loud enough..but after adding my 2020 sub i am inspired again ..great monitors for cheap..no brainer
Old 29th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Best bang for the buck on the monitor block.

Love my 308s.
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
shame they dont do a 6.5inch because those 8" are a beast and the 5 is a bit light...
Old 29th May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
5 is a bit light...
The 5' produce a reasonable amount of bass in my small space. The vids don't represent it so much. I'm sure the 308' certainly do better though.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heflys20 ➑️
The 5' produce a reasonable amount of bass in my small space. The vids don't represent it so much. I'm sure the 308' certainly do better though.
yes its not bad by any means - Im an electronic music guy tho so need quite a lot of coverage...
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:

But,

I've been recomending the LSR 305's as beeing the best speakers in their price range but i'd never imagine them beating the Neumann's (haven't heard the KH120's yet). :-)
Have you compared them side by side?
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I don't want to say negative things on every thread about the jbl305. They are very good for the money. I tested them some time ago because of the hype and I wasn't impressed. They make noise - noise is subjective - but I couldn't mix on them because of it. I tried them on the same outputs where my focal cms65 are connected - I tried a furman to clean the power but the noise was still there. The sound of them was good. The stereofield was smaller then on my focals But they are in a different price class. I can see the hype because of their price and recommend them if you can live with the noise...
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Mine are extremely quiet. Can only hear a slight hiss if I put my face 2 inches from the speaker. Not even noticeable otherwise.

Everyone has different levels of sensitivity though, as indicated.
Old 29th May 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKBoT ➑️

I've been recomending the LSR 305's as beeing the best speakers in their price range but i'd never imagine them beating the Neumann's (haven't heard the KH120's yet). :-)
Have you compared them side by side?
Well, not directly side by side, my desk isn't wide enough. But I did take the Neumanns off and put the JBLs in their place and I am familiar with the Neumanns and where they are located.

I'm now really annoyed with the Neumanns. I took the JBLs up to my practice space as I had intended and last night and today, I am back listening to the Neumanns but I don't want to anymore. The JBLs basically make the Neumanns sound grainy and soft and I can't believe that I can't stand a pair of speakers I thought I really liked.

I can't decide if I am going to replace the Neumanns with the JBLs or try something else. Eve Audio SC-205 maybe.

I will say however that at one point yesterday, my right ear kind of hurt from listening to the JBLs. That kind of hurt from listening to headphones for too long. The Neumanns certainly never did that.

But man, being able to hear everything in a mix was really nice. Ha, I had no idea!
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lape ➑️
I don't want to say negative things on every thread about the jbl305. They are very good for the money. I tested them some time ago because of the hype and I wasn't impressed. They make noise - noise is subjective - but I couldn't mix on them because of it. I tried them on the same outputs where my focal cms65 are connected - I tried a furman to clean the power but the noise was still there. The sound of them was good. The stereofield was smaller then on my focals But they are in a different price class. I can see the hype because of their price and recommend them if you can live with the noise...

I did not notice any noise but I don't usually listen at loud levels either.

Another thing about the JBLs was the stereo image. Everything was locatable in the stereo field. I now hear that the Neumanns don't do that so well.

Last edited by manymanyhaha; 29th May 2015 at 06:46 PM..
Old 29th May 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I listened to the demo and even though I know this is not an accurate way to test monitors, I guess it serves the purpose..I have to agree that the JBLs sounds the closes to the source material..I read it's using the class D amp...cellphone.. I dunno, I'm a little skeptical of the wattage, especially for the woofer. Probably just me but I don't feel comfortable with an amp driving an 8" woofer with 50/60 watts..( as the case with the Equator D-8s)..Most " better" brand monitors are driving the woofer with at least 100/200 A/B watts! Don't know if this ( class D or A/B ) makes that big of a difference..Anyone..Anyone heard the Emotiva 6s...? Ok back on topic....
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How do the JBLs make you mix? Do they get you good results that translate to other systems? That's what matters in the end...
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Im starting to feel like the sm57 thing here..doesnt need to be expensive to work well
Old 30th May 2015 | Show parent
Deleted 10089a2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman ➑️
I listened to the demo and even though I know this is not an accurate way to test monitors, I guess it serves the purpose..I have to agree that the JBLs sounds the closes to the source material..I read it's using the class D amp...cellphone.. I dunno, I'm a little skeptical of the wattage, especially for the woofer. Probably just me but I don't feel comfortable with an amp driving an 8" woofer with 50/60 watts..( as the case with the Equator D-8s)..Most " better" brand monitors are driving the woofer with at least 100/200 A/B watts! Don't know if this ( class D or A/B ) makes that big of a difference..Anyone..Anyone heard the Emotiva 6s...? Ok back on topic....
I was reading current output can be more important than watts ?
Old 30th May 2015
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Another vote for the Neumann KH120A

I bought the JBL 305's about a year ago and they were a big improvement over my Event ASP8's. This was mixing in a smaller room and also the tweeter was going out in one of the ASP8s. The JBL's sound really good and are pleasing to work on. BUT my mixes were only slightly better than the ASP8s and I think the JBL's just dont reveal the problems in the mix and the balances like I wished they would. So a couple of months ago I bought the KH120A after reading so many good reviews. I feel like I can mix quicker and much more accurately on the KH120s. I still struggle a bit judging the low end in my small room with some treatment but the relative balances and especially the mid range is much improved. Big difference in price between the two but I am satisfied with the improvement and feel it is worth it.
Old 30th May 2015
Lives for gear

The Neumann's are 4x the price of the LSR305. I can't believe they are in the same thread.
Old 31st May 2015 | Show parent
Deleted 10089a2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik ➑️
The Neumann's are 4x the price of the LSR305. I can't believe they are in the same thread.
which shows that price us not necessarily an indicator of quality.
Old 1st June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 10089a2 ➑️
which shows that price us not necessarily an indicator of quality.
In this case, The Neumanns are definitely a bargain for what you pay for them.
Old 1st June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a set of 305's and think they are good studio monitors. Honestly, I think every recording engineer should have a set because they are so cheap and are so useful.

That said, I didn't throw out all the other sets of monitors I have when I got them. There is no such thing as a perfect studio monitor at any price and I would never use only one set for a mix.

It's probably unfair to single out the Neumann monitors in the subject...The Neumann's are useful, 305's are useful, Dynaudios, barefoot's, NS10's are useful.

There is one thing I've noticed with them. The built in amp is a little weak (not surprising for a small cheap speaker), I think they a built in compressor/limiter to protect the speaker. At a certain volume this compressor sounds pretty good, nice and punchy. The louder you get past that point they start to sound bad. I don't monitor very loud so this isn't much of an issue with me, just an observation.

Last edited by clearwave; 1st June 2015 at 03:32 PM..
Old 1st June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakewalk ➑️
In this case, The Neumanns are definitely a bargain for what you pay for them.
according to OP, maybe not so much. however, if I invested a sizable amount of cash into a "premium" set of monitors that get rivaled by a pair that's a fraction of their cost- I would probably be trying to justify my purchase as well.

but alas, I've invested $225 into my 305's and don't see needing to jump ship to something bigger/better anytime soon. if I can't get the job done on 305's, I suspect the monitors are not the issue...

Last edited by citrusonic; 1st June 2015 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
Old 5th June 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic ➑️
according to OP, maybe not so much. however, if I invested a sizable amount of cash into a "premium" set of monitors that get rivaled by a pair that's a fraction of their cost- I would probably be trying to justify my purchase as well.

but alas, I've invested $225 into my 305's and don't see needing to jump ship to something bigger/better anytime soon. if I can't get the job done on 305's, I suspect the monitors are not the issue...
can we hear your mix somewhere sir?
peace
Old 5th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OP is your room treated?
I've been thinking about KH120 or SRP400, maybe Focal CMS.
Old 5th June 2015
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Ok, quick question. Do the sound very different after many hours use? Our of the box, they sound terrible to me...hi hats jump out, etc, just ridiculous. I don't know whether to break 'em in or ditch 'em.
Old 5th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB ➑️
Ok, quick question. Do the sound very different after many hours use? Our of the box, they sound terrible to me...hi hats jump out, etc, just ridiculous. I don't know whether to break 'em in or ditch 'em.
I just replace my 308's (which were terrific for the money) with some KH120's (which are quite a bit better). Both speakers sounded like crap the day I installed them, much better after a couple days of letting playing something on them round the clock.

So I'm not sure which speakers you're asking about, but IMO, they both need some breakin time.

-Kirk
Old 6th June 2015
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks, Kirk.

(Asking about the 305's.)
Old 6th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic ➑️

No justification needed, if you are trying to insinuate that is what my comment is based on. In fact, I currently use the KH310 to mix on now after using the KH120 with great success for a while. My comment was just an observation that the KH120 compete with monitors at a much higher price point. They are universally acclaimed on here if one does the research. The JBLs, not so much.
Old 6th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well, not directly side by side, my desk isn't wide enough. But I did take the Neumanns off and put the JBLs in their place and I am familiar with the Neumanns and where they are located.

I'm now really annoyed with the Neumanns. I took the JBLs up to my practice space as I had intended and last night and today, I am back listening to the Neumanns but I don't want to anymore. The JBLs basically make the Neumanns sound grainy and soft and I can't believe that I can't stand a pair of speakers I thought I really liked.

I can't decide if I am going to replace the Neumanns with the JBLs or try something else. Eve Audio SC-205 maybe.

I will say however that at one point yesterday, my right ear kind of hurt from listening to the JBLs. That kind of hurt from listening to headphones for too long. The Neumanns certainly never did that.

But man, being able to hear everything in a mix was really nice. Ha, I had no idea!
How are your mixes on the JBL translating tho?
πŸ“ Reply