The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
D-Box/Logic X Summing Issue
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Solo safe is what I'm talking about.. it's not a work around as you say.. I've mixed and monitor thru dbox for years and so do others.. I think your confused with routing..

But your closer now.. not sure how to solo safe logic.. I'm no longer in PT I'm in Reaper.. but look into it.. but you want it to be solo safe or if you solo another channel you won't hear it.

Actually I'm little.more ITB now..but when I was summing more with dbox or folcrom days.. I had aux channel I called 2buss.. because that was where everything came together.. but that was the summing return.. the output was routed to another channel called print.. that print channel output was sent digital out to dbox aes. The print channel has to be in record to hear it. So what I did so that I'm not recording the whole time.. I muted the print tracks output and sent the 2buss out to same digital out to dbox.. but in Reaper (since I still need to hit record on that track because in Reaper all tracks are the same no dedicated aux ch) I put that 2buss (summing return channel) in record..but in Reaper there's the option when you right click the record button to monitor only. So even though record is on..and mix passes thru so you can hear it...it will not record.. so I can mix..but once ready to print I hit record on that print channel right next to it.. that's it. I'd I want to listen back to printed mix..
I mute that 2buss output and unmute the print tracks output... confused more? Or helpful?
Old 14th September 2016 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrenegade ➡️
When you're printing the summed mix and want to hear the plugins you're using on that track:

Make sure "DAW" is pressed on the d-box and software monitoring is enabled in logic. Make sure to mute the apollo inputs or you'll hear doubling.

OR

Same as above, but use UAD plugins for your bus comp etc and monitor from the Apollo inputs
I do have "DAW" pressed, and software monitoring is enabled.

When you say "Make sure to mute the apollo inputs or you'll hear doubling", can you be more specific? I'm only using Inputs 7 & 8, which is the summed mix.
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Can you do screen shots..of your layout at least to see the 2buss aux track and print track

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey ➡️
Solo safe is what I'm talking about.. it's not a work around as you say.. I've mixed and monitor thru dbox for years and so do others.. I think your confused with routing..

But your closer now.. not sure how to solo safe logic.. I'm no longer in PT I'm in Reaper.. but look into it.. but you want it to be solo safe or if you solo another channel you won't hear it.

Actually I'm little.more ITB now..but when I was summing more with dbox or folcrom days.. I had aux channel I called 2buss.. because that was where everything came together.. but that was the summing return.. the output was routed to another channel called print.. that print channel output was sent digital out to dbox aes. The print channel has to be in record to hear it. So what I did so that I'm not recording the whole time.. I muted the print tracks output and sent the 2buss out to same digital out to dbox.. but in Reaper (since I still need to hit record on that track because in Reaper all tracks are the same no dedicated aux ch) I put that 2buss (summing return channel) in record..but in Reaper there's the option when you right click the record button to monitor only. So even though record is on..and mix passes thru so you can hear it...it will not record.. so I can mix..but once ready to print I hit record on that print channel right next to it.. that's it. I'd I want to listen back to printed mix..
I mute that 2buss output and unmute the print tracks output... confused more? Or helpful?
Yeah, "work around" was not the correct choice of words. I should've said "process" or "method". And yes, the routing involved is a head scratcher right now! I do feel like I'm getting closer, but it really puzzles me as to why I can't find an example of a Logic Pro / Apollo / D-Box user that uses the summing capability *and* wants to put plug ins on the mix bus. I posted a similar question in the Music Computers forum, asking if anyone knew Logic's equivalent of PT's "solos safe" mode. That thread is getting close to 100 views, and yet not one answer.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Can you do screen shots..of your layout at least to see the 2buss aux track and print track
Hope this is what you are asking for.
Attached Thumbnails
D-Box/Logic X Summing Issue-screen-shot-2016-09-14-9.49.51-am.png  
Old 14th September 2016

🎧 15 years
Not quite big enough, let me try again!
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb415 ➡️
Yeah, "work around" was not the correct choice of words. I should've said "process" or "method". And yes, the routing involved is a head scratcher right now! I do feel like I'm getting closer, but it really puzzles me as to why I can't find an example of a Logic Pro / Apollo / D-Box user that uses the summing capability *and* wants to put plug ins on the mix bus. I posted a similar question in the Music Computers forum, asking if anyone knew Logic's equivalent of PT's "solos safe" mode. That thread is getting close to 100 views, and yet not one answer.
Well.. Not telling you to switch.. But have you tried installing Reaper just to see how to do it with another DAW? Wish I could help more with Logic.
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
OK - lets say your summed mix is coming back on inputs 7-8.

Press "DAW" on the D-box.

In logic, record enable an audio channel with inputs 7-8. Make sure software monitoring is turned on in logic.

On the Apollo mixer, mute inputs 7-8.

Play the track and you should hear the plugins in logic.

It really should be that simple, it is for me. Feel free to DM me and I'll jump on the phone to anyone who wants further help.

🎧 15 years
Okay, thus one is better. The highlighted track is my Print track. I would like to monitor either it or the PRINT AUX w/o the associated slapback.
Attached Thumbnails
D-Box/Logic X Summing Issue-screen-shot-2016-09-14-9.53.42-am.png  

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrenegade ➡️
OK - lets say your summed mix is coming back on inputs 7-8.

Press "DAW" on the D-box.

In logic, record enable an audio channel with inputs 7-8. Make sure software monitoring is turned on in logic.

On the Apollo mixer, mute inputs 7-8.

Play the track and you should hear the plugins in logic.

It really should be that simple, it is for me. Feel free to DM me and I'll jump on the phone to anyone who wants further help.
When I mute 7 & 8 in Console, it mutes the audio. I am going to go make breakfast, will be back shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
D-Box/Logic X Summing Issue-screen-shot-2016-09-14-10.01.27-am.png  

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well.. Not telling you to switch.. But have you tried installing Reaper just to see how to do it with another DAW? Wish I could help more with Logic.
Thanks for your time, I do appreciate it. I tried Reaper once, didn't really care for it. I've been using Logic now for 7-8 years and I'd really rather not switch if it isn't necessary. I'd probably look at Studio One if I had to switch.
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ok this is good. If muting 7-8 on apollo mutes all sound it means that the issue is inside the logic preferences.

Do you definitely have software monitoring enabled?
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Thanks for your time, I do appreciate it. I tried Reaper once, didn't really care for it. I've been using Logic now for 7-8 years and I'd really rather not switch if it isn't necessary. I'd probably look at Studio One if I had to switch.
well I wasn't saying switching that's why I started off saying i'm not telling you to switch.. was just a idea to test another DAW.. it Reaper is good..but you can download and test it's 11mb.. unlike say testing Cubase.. was just an idea.. I wouldn't have suggested trying another DAW.. just seems you're having a lot of trouble with this routing more then others..and running out of was to explain it.
Old 14th September 2016

🎧 15 years
I got it to work. I had the output from PRINT STEM going to S/PDIF per the D-Box instructions, but that didn't work. I could not find the "S/PDIF monitors Outs 1&2" checkbox anywhere in Console settings, so in Logic I changed the output of PRINT STEM to Stereo Out. Bingo! I had the slapback again. As soon as I muted Inputs 7 & 8 in the Apollo Console the slapback was gone, and I am now able to monitor the summed output going thru the mixbus plug ins. Dang! I am going to have to document this and print it out, my tired old brain won't hang onto this if I don't.

Thank you guys so much for your help!
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Awesome!
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Great news! rock out

I see why you did what you did, but it's so much simpler than everyone thinks and I had the same trouble getting my head around it.

DAW is basically just your monitor for "Stereo Out" (1-2) in logic.

SUM is basically your monitor what's coming out the other channels.

Switching off either button doesn't stop audio being routed to either path.

Have fun, it's awesome!!
Old 16th September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
I don't think that was what he was doing. .it was more just on software side where confusion was.
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I know, but the hardware routing is what caused the confusion about how the software was routed. We were PM-ing to get to this solution.
Old 13th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have the same set up and issues as the OP and after following this thread I got everything to work—many thanks! The only thing that puzzles me is that I don't see any signal in the track meter for the Print track. It records the mix but it's weird that there's no signal activity being shown. It does show in the two Print buses however. Is this right?
Old 14th October 2016 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbaker ➡️
I have the same set up and issues as the OP and after following this thread I got everything to work—many thanks! The only thing that puzzles me is that I don't see any signal in the track meter for the Print track. It records the mix but it's weird that there's no signal activity being shown. It does show in the two Print buses however. Is this right?
No, I get signal activity when I record the Print track.
Old 14th October 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Mmm...this is a mystery then. I'm definitely recording the mix with all 2Bus plugins but can't figure out the lack of meter activity.
Old 17th October 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbaker ➡️
Quote:
Mmm...this is a mystery then. I'm definitely recording the mix with all 2Bus plugins but can't figure out the lack of meter activity.
Anyone have a comment?
Old 18th October 2016

🎧 15 years
I wish that I had an answer for you, but this is still a fairly confusing process. Do you have Input Monitoring turned ON for your Print Track when you record to it?
📝 Reply