The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warm EQP-WA or Tegeler EQP-1?
Old 29th August 2015 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I believe the Warm Audio EQP-WA exhibits 50% THD at 20Hz. YEAH. not 5%.. 50% THD at 20Hz. No wonder he advertises it has warming your signal.. Its actually cooking the hell out of it.
well what can I say to this um no. what are you an arm chair EE?

my base line was .001% thd after using the pultec it went to .1% THD. This is tubes and transformers mind you. That is perfectly acceptable. Now if you wanted to on paper you could go omg the warm pultec increases your THD by 10,000% it's garbage, but if you understood tube gear you'd know this is actually decent specs esp for something meant for 600 ohm load. for example a Avalon 737 has a THD of 0.5% and we know how notoriously noisy those pesky avalons are!

I'm a gear builder all kinds. I own both warm and Gap products. I could make anything I so desired. Even stuff that isn't done. I can tell you first hand about the warm pultec clone. It is top notch on the low end for bass and kick. it drops about 1.5 db down around 20k in bypass mode and On the top end boost above 12k and up it's lacking. I reach for gear I've modded or built for air band duty. "nite eq, orban 622a or my symetrix 528 with ssl slopes" I'm still keeping the warm for bass and kick though and I may mod it in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Warm EQP-WA or Tegeler EQP-1?-specs1.jpg   Warm EQP-WA or Tegeler EQP-1?-eq-bypass-graph.jpg  

Last edited by doulos30; 29th August 2015 at 03:10 AM..
Old 29th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ah, this is messy...

I can recall my first time with a real oldschool Pultec in a studio in Toronto earlier this year. It was amazing. I finally got what they were, and how fast it was to just make an incredible sound with them. Then I headed to France, and watched CLA screw with Pultecs on kick and snare, as well as after his parallel drum comp. Once again, floored. I came home, found a killer deal on two Warm EQP-WAs, and pulled the trigger. It brought me back to what I heard in both France and that studio I used it earlier.

I'd like to think I'm not a total idiot, and if you ask me, someone who uses the Warms day in and day out, all I can say is you'd be dumb to spend a dollar more on any other Pultec. And you're definitely not getting mine.
Old 29th August 2015

🎧 10 years
Apologies for any offence caused - This was never my intention, I do see both sides of this argument, though can not deny i found the EQP to be a very nice sounding Pultec Model and not huge problem child. For those whom can not afford High End Audio and/or are starting out I feel those products offer huge bang for $$$ though it's subjective. I also have edited my previous post.

Apologies
Regards
TheLastByte
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi ➡️
nope, not any help at all.
I guess your POV is validated by the fact that as hard as I've tried to find a used Warm Audio WA 76, I have been unsuccessful in doing so. Obviously there are so many end users that feel these products are of inferior quality that they're not willing to let go of them.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob ➡️
I guess your POV is validated by the fact that as hard as I've tried to find a used Warm Audio WA 76, I have been unsuccessful in doing so. Obviously there are so many end users that feel these products are of inferior quality that they're not willing to let go of them.
well you have a hard time even building them for that price I paid around 550.00 for my hairball kits.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 ➡️
well you have a hard time even building them for that price I paid around 550.00 for my hairball kits.
I agree, and I've looked at those as well.
Old 30th August 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i prefered the warm audios!
Old 9th November 2015
I am going to pull the trigger on a pultec, either warm or tegeler. I would rather go with tegeler because of less Rack space for a stereo operation. It seems that one tegeler is almost double the price and no way am I going to drop almost 4k.
I really don't want two separate units though...oh well.
Can't wait to have a pultec.
Old 10th December 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Creeper speaks......

Hey Guys!

I am what you might call a Gearslutz creeper. Been a member for some time, but I usually only come here to read others posts about particular products I am interested in. Honestly, sometimes I find the dialog a bit "brisly" for my taste. But there is a ton of great information that can be gleaned from the conversations here if you care to learn. Since there has been so little in the way of "hands on" information about the Tegeler EQP-1 I thought I would share my experience with it for those who are interested in comparing it with the Warm Audio EQ's. No, I don't work for them. Just a guy with a recording studio....like most of you. I just thought I would offer some "hands on" information on this product.

I recently had the opportunity to "try out" the Tegeler EQP-1 in my small town recording studio here in Yadkinville, NC. I must say that I am impressed with it. In fairness, I have never had an opportunity to "critically" listen to the Warm Audio products or an original Pultec. I have listened to you tube reviews of the warm audio eq and I have used first hand a pair of original Pultec's at GAT 3 Recording Studios in Charlotte, NC. The Pultec's were used during tracking in a class along with a lot of other great gear and we really didn't get a chance to critically listen to them.

Tegeler Audio Manufaktur sent me an EQP-1 to review a few weeks ago. The first one I received was damaged in shipping and had to be returned. I did suggest to them that their packaging needed some improvements to survive US parcel handlers as the tolerances inside their shipping containers is VERY tight! The EQ I received was shipped in a very nice looking, solid pine box with foam inserts to protect the unit. As I said due to the tight tolerances a good jolt to the box could send the knobs, switches slamming into the interior of the really nice looking box. That is what happened to my first unit. I was informed that they have had 3 previous units to the US arrive damaged as well. I took pictures and explained why I believe the damage occured.They have informed me they are in the process of a shipping container redesign as a result. The second unit I received (same style shipping box) arrived safely with no damage. The unit did not come with a US power cord, but this was not an issue as I have several spares floating around the studio. They informed me that they have some US cords on order as well. I will also share that there is a bit of a language barrier dealing with Tegeler as well, but nothing that can't be overcome. My impression is that they are a small European based Audio company with little to no ties to the US trying to break in to the US market as best they know how. I have found dealing with them pleasant, they seem like good people who love what they do. I have attached photos of the original broken EQP-1, shipping box, tolerances.

I have done a You Tube video of an "informal" listening test of the EQP-1. This was me just "playing" around with the settings on the EQ and recording the result. Nothing scientific about it. Personally, I like what it does to the audio you send through it. You can take a listen and decide for yourself. I still currently have the unit if you have further questions about it. I will be returning the unit though next week. I love it and would love to keep it, just can't justify the expense (1699.00) right now. I do intend to have one in my rack eventually though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z1j...ature=youtu.be
Attached Thumbnails
Warm EQP-WA or Tegeler EQP-1?-broken-eqp-1.jpg   Warm EQP-WA or Tegeler EQP-1?-eqp-1-tolerances.jpg   Warm EQP-WA or Tegeler EQP-1?-tegeler-box.jpg  

Last edited by mwfulwider; 10th December 2015 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: no link
Old 10th December 2015 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven ➡️
We do too, and the matched stereo pairs of the Warm Audio EQP-WA have become a top seller in that price range for a reason.

Warm did a good job on this EQ.

War
Old 10th December 2015

🎧 5 years
I own a Tonebeast and WA76. I like them so much that even without any more money, I would consider giving my left nut for the EQ...
Old 13th January 2016 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback ➡️
I've been recording for over 50 years but could never afford or even try out any real vintage Pultec Equalizers.

I got my pair of EQP-WA almost a month ago and have used them in every session and on everything, vocals, acoustic guitar, mastering, drum mixes, these boxes make everything sound better!

The EQP-WA is a true capacitor/inductor equalizer circuit with a custom inductor made by Cinemag. By using custom made components the designer was able to add extra frequency set points that were not available on the original Pultec EQ's.

These are well built pieces of gear, there was no money wasted on attempting to make the back and guts LOOK like a vintage piece of gear, all the money went into good components INSIDE that make this EQ function and sound fantastic.

Pultec EQ have been so untouchable because of the insane price that must be attached to emulating all the vintage metal work and components. I appreciate good looking equipment too but performance is what I'm after. The strange shielding on the transformers used in a Pultec must cost a lot to recreate. The EQP-WA captures the forward appearance and operational functions of the originals while boasting a few extra EQ points, all good with me.

$7200 for a new pair of Pulse Technology EQ or $1300 for pair of EQP-WA?
If you're a very rich guy then what the heck, get the expensive ones. If you're not rich then you definitely owe it to yourself to try out the EQP-WA, use your ears not the price tag to decide if it's good enough for you.

I don't know about the Tegeler and how it performs, perhaps it's good too.

My console is a Neve, my monitors are by Meyer and I have a very difficult time imagining significantly better performance than the EQP-WA provides, especially in light of all the glowing reviews and A-B comparissons this piece has racked up.

If you have always wondered what all the "talk" was about concerning the Pultec style of program equalization then the EQP-WA should be on your short list to at least try in person. The bass is incredible and I very much appreciate the extra frequency points available on the EQP-WA.

I'm an old-old school OTB mixer and I can definitely say I'd like to have four more of these for mixing sessions, it's got the magic!

Cheers and good music to all!
It's nice when cooler heads prevail, thank you!
Old 13th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Resurrecting this thread to check if any new opinions have aggregated for the last couple of years.

Trying to decide which way to go - plenty of options in the mid budget segment, and now there are the Klark Tekniks who many people claim might be better than the Warms.
Old 14th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead ➡️
We do too, and the matched stereo pairs of the Warm Audio EQP-WA have become a top seller in that price range for a reason.

Warm did a good job on this EQ.

War

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven ➡️

Where did you here both in comparison? An online source? I could not find a direct comparison, or even a decent video of the Warms to make a good impression.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The KT 1176 and EQP to me are no brainers if you live in the USA, in Europe they still cost about the same as the WARM Audio's, so a little tougher decision I guess.
Old 16th November 2017 | Show parent
JAT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariva ➡️
Where did you here both in comparison? An online source? I could not find a direct comparison, or even a decent video of the Warms to make a good impression.
"Warhead" has his own reputable virtual store where they do these "Clipator" shoot outs. Check his sig.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Had the warm and it was “OK”, but with pultecs it’s kike the pulp fiction scenario of ‘you can have this for xx’ or ‘ this.. it’s more expensive but you’ll know where that extra money went’.

Whether or not you can quantify the difference financially is another question as my pulse is in another realm to my ears but l it was 6 times more but built like a piece of military hardware.
Old 28th November 2017

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Dariva,

I'd agree the Klark Teknik EQP-KT is a total no-brainer if you live in the USA and can get it for $300, or even a bit less if you talk with a sales rep.

The Klark and Warm units are very similar. So if they're the same price where you live, I don't think you can really go wrong with either. I'd be quite happy with either I think, but the dirt-cheap price on the Klarks in the US is just nuts. Makes me think about crazy things like putting a Pultec-style eq in the effects loop of a bass amp rig

Your profile says Bulgaria. In that case, just personally I've been really interested in everything from ProReplicas who I believe is located in Poland. I believe most of his stuff goes for ROUGHLY around the ~$1000 USD mark, but it's in Polish Zloty so depends on the exchange rate.

Another small boutique maker of high-end builds is Audio-Scape who makes a version of the midrange-frequency-focused Pultec.

The ProReplica and AudioScape units look like excellent truly hand-made builds for very reasonable prices. The KT and Warm builds are mass-produced.
Old 8th October 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
That guy is owned. Warm gear works about 50% the time and sounds mediocre at best. I will never buy another Warm product and am currently selling 5 at a bargain (wa87, wa76, wawa, 2x revive modified pultecs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808KickDrum ➡️
Boys, boys, let's put our members away and regain our senses. The fact that I triggered a semi-literate flame war by stating an unorthodox opinion about WA makes me think I'm onto something.
I have heard Warm gear. I wanted very much to like it, but I didn't. It is, however, very good for the money. Just like Ansel Adams could do better with a polaroid than I could with a Leica, David Bowie could fart through a kazoo into an SM58, tonebeast, and into a tascam and make something better than I could ever hope to in a lifetime with a vintage neve and neumann gear. I admire Warm for their business acumen and for making decent gear more available. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

But WA did not repeal the laws of economics. They must save somewhere. And it's apparently not marketing. So they have economies of scale (thanks to the legions of angry fanbois!), cheaper chinese labor (for only part of the assembly! Expensive mexicans do the rest maybe?). Even there, corners must be cut.

Tegeler on the other hand is artificially underpriced in dollar terms, because the Euro just took a nosedive. Then subtract out the VAT, which is another 19%. And it's still more expensive than 2 channels of WA. Based on what I've read in the German technical press (which is not of the fawning SoS variety, it's more frequency response diagrams), my prediction is that the Tegeler would sound better than the WA. If spending 25 years becoming fluent in German and then reading technical literature makes for an ignorant comment, then I'm not sure we're working with the same definition of "ignorant." But, as was my point from the beginning, there isn't enough information out there to say for sure. I thought Mr. Funk might want to know how much effort I put into getting an answer, so that he didn't drive himself crazy trying to do the same. So no, I won't refrain from commenting.

My prediction is that you'll see quite a few WA pultecs in the classifieds here in about 18 months, as the masses get a taste of the good stuff and then want to upgrade. May I be proven wrong.
Old 24th January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
TEGELER EQP-1 Owner here

I know this may be an old thread, but since this is about information, I thought I chimed in.

I have a Tegeler eqp-1 and has been really a pleasure tracking and mixing with it. I think it has a great sound, it has a very nice low end and it really does some thing nice, specially when a mix is going thru it, it is very noticeable, apart from doing what you need from an eq, it just takes the ugliness out of the way.

I have a lot of experience recording, mixing and producing and have work with high end stuff for decades and I am very pleased having bought this unit.

Lately I have become a UAD lover/user and of course I have their Pultec emulation, which I really think is not their best plugin, I mean is really useful, but I think they have not nailed it as lots of other ones they have, which I think are superb. So I really prefer the sound of the Tegeler compared to the UAD one.

I have never heard a WARM so I can't say any thing about it. I have used Pultecs and Langevin pultec types which are obviously amazing, they have really beautiful silky highs and a nice low end of course. Well, the Tegeler is not far.
Old 27th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk ➡️
Wow, thanks for letting me know this! I had no idea. I better rip this Warm crap out of my racks right away! You are completely right calling us Warm owners out like that! I'm so ashamed. It's true, I only bought them because I "couldn't afford top notch stuff" and wanted to feel like I "finally had something decent in my hands..."
Hey bro! How does the warm eqp pair in stereo? Wanna get a 2nd ond for mastering purposes!
Marcelo
Old 27th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback ➡️
I've been recording for over 50 years but could never afford or even try out any real vintage Pultec Equalizers.

I got my pair of EQP-WA almost a month ago and have used them in every session and on everything, vocals, acoustic guitar, mastering, drum mixes, these boxes make everything sound better!

The EQP-WA is a true capacitor/inductor equalizer circuit with a custom inductor made by Cinemag. By using custom made components the designer was able to add extra frequency set points that were not available on the original Pultec EQ's.

These are well built pieces of gear, there was no money wasted on attempting to make the back and guts LOOK like a vintage piece of gear, all the money went into good components INSIDE that make this EQ function and sound fantastic.

Pultec EQ have been so untouchable because of the insane price that must be attached to emulating all the vintage metal work and components. I appreciate good looking equipment too but performance is what I'm after. The strange shielding on the transformers used in a Pultec must cost a lot to recreate. The EQP-WA captures the forward appearance and operational functions of the originals while boasting a few extra EQ points, all good with me.

$7200 for a new pair of Pulse Technology EQ or $1300 for pair of EQP-WA?
If you're a very rich guy then what the heck, get the expensive ones. If you're not rich then you definitely owe it to yourself to try out the EQP-WA, use your ears not the price tag to decide if it's good enough for you.

I don't know about the Tegeler and how it performs, perhaps it's good too.

My console is a Neve, my monitors are by Meyer and I have a very difficult time imagining significantly better performance than the EQP-WA provides, especially in light of all the glowing reviews and A-B comparissons this piece has racked up.

If you have always wondered what all the "talk" was about concerning the Pultec style of program equalization then the EQP-WA should be on your short list to at least try in person. The bass is incredible and I very much appreciate the extra frequency points available on the EQP-WA.

I'm an old-old school OTB mixer and I can definitely say I'd like to have four more of these for mixing sessions, it's got the magic!

Cheers and good music to all!
Hi! How did you stereo match yours, both have the gain trim? No issues with stereo pic for mastering?
All the best,
Marcelo
Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
FYI, here’s my comparison of the EQ with a plug-in:

📝 Reply