Quantcast
Xtender with locking tuners - worth it or waste of time? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Xtender with locking tuners - worth it or waste of time?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Xtender with locking tuners - worth it or waste of time?

I'm spec'ing a Strat-style guitar from Warmoth. The plan is to route the body for a non-recessed trem, then deck it so I can still use the trem for dives and subtle downward vibrato, while retaining most of the tuning stability of a hardtail (I'll also be using a black Tusq nut which is graphite-impregnated for extra lubrication).

Warmoth offers Schaller mini-locking tuners; in fact they're the only ones Warmoth offers that have the key profile of modern Strats (yes, I can go elsewhere to buy tuners with the key style I like; it's just convenient). I'm planning on getting them; however, somewhat of a conflicting item on my wish list is a Hipshot Xtender. If you haven't seen these, they have a lever that rotates the entire tuning machine a preset amount, allowing you to go from standard to drop-D in nothing flat. As I do a lot of cover work, and this Strat build has a lot of other bells and whistles to make the axe capable of being the only one I have to take to such gigs, it's very tempting.

However, Hipshot doesn't make a locking-tuner version of the Xtender; not sure why, probably for a variety of cost-benefits reasons on their end, maybe the pricepoint of the resulting tuner would be prohibitive.

The question for the gallery is, if I get the Xtender, would it still be worthwhile overall to have the other tuners be locking? Are locking tuners worthwhile at all? I think the answer to both is yes; I still get to lock down the other five strings, so if the E slips out of tune that's the only one I have to fiddle with. But, there will still be tuning problems, as there will be with any guitar on which you're cranking string tension up and down while playing. It might be better to not have locking tuners so it's easy to get the thing back in tune after sawing on the trem.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
0 for 134, wow. Nobody wants to weigh in on this?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…