Quantcast
Basic Guitar Wiring Question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Basic Guitar Wiring Question
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Basic Guitar Wiring Question

Hello all. I am working on my second build and have gotten to the wiring phase but have no experience working with electronic wiring. I am following this basic diagram from stewmac: http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-1217/1217_1802.gif (it is for a two humbucker les paul style setup; one volume pot, one tone pot, w/ a 3-way switch.

I want to make sure I have the right idea regarding a couple things that are troubling me ( I am doing a series or standard wiring)...please tell me if I am wrong

If using a 4 wire humbucker pickup with this setup I should take the north finish and the south finish, solder them to the appropriate place on the three way switch for both pickups (as one wire).

then, take the south start, the bare ground and the north start and run them to the volume pot, where the north start will be soldered to the input of the volume pot. The bare ground and south start will be soldered to the bottom of the volume pot (as one wire)

Also a general question: when soldering wiring to the back of a pot should each wire be connected via its own separate bead of solder? or should all the ground wires be soldered into one mass?

Thanks for any help y'all can provide!
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You want the north finish soldered to the pickup selector, the south finish and north start soldered together and taped off, and the south start soldered to the body of the volume pot.

Solder each ground separately. You could do two or three next to each other at the same time, but don't try to twist all the grounds together in a lump and try to solder that to the back of the pot.
Old 16th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the help!
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderjaguar ➡️
If using a 4 wire humbucker pickup with this setup I should take the north finish and the south finish, solder them to the appropriate place on the three way switch for both pickups (as one wire).
First convert your 4-wire pickups to 2-wire by soldering the screw & slug coil finish wires together.

For completeness, the diagram shows all the ways two coils can be connected but a normal humbucker is a little simpler in that screw and slug coils will always be wound in the same direction and there's always an opposite magnetic field through each coil.

http://www.aperiplus.co.uk/images/coils-in-series.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderjaguar ➡️
Also a general question: when soldering wiring to the back of a pot should each wire be connected via its own separate bead of solder? or should all the ground wires be soldered into one mass?
Electrically, it's all the same.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…