Quantcast
Unique guitars with retro vibe? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Unique guitars with retro vibe?
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Smile Unique guitars with retro vibe?

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new guitar. I currently play an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, but I'm looking for something a little nicer now that I've gotten better. Im not interested in the big brand guitars, Gibson, fender, ibanez, ect... I'm looking for something a little more unique. So far I have looked at the Godin Richmond series I'm i like what I see, especially the Dochester model. I've also looked at Rickenbacker, but they are out of my price range. My price range is around $1000 possibly a tad more. Please give me some suggestions. Thank you.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
G&L, Gretsch, Hagstrom.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Phantom:
Phantom Guitarworks :Phantom |Teardrop |Mando |Vintage reproductions of the original Jennings Musicial Instruments U.K.Guitars from the 1960's
I used to own a teardrop, I miss it. It had a very nice chiming sound but was a little noisy, I had some wiring mods done.

Eastwood:
Eastwood Guitars - HOME
Has a retro line-up, but the quality isn't great. I owned one of their early Supro copies, it was fine, but later models did not impress me.

Italia:
http://www.italiaguitars.com
They get good reviews, but I've never played one.

Reverend:
Reverend
Not so retro oriented, but high quality guitars. I own a Double Agent. Very well made, sounds great.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
~ PureSalem Guitars | Bow Down Upon Our Church of Acid Rock ~ I don't own one but I like the reverberation and the tomcat
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would recommend checking out some of the Reverend Models, great guitars with a fusion of features from all the 60's builders, not just Fender and Gibson.

You could also do really well buying a used guitar from some of higher end, (not Gibson and Fender) builders that don't carry as high a resale value....ie you'd get a heck of great guitar for your $1k target.

2 great examples are Heritage and Hamer (USA)....both make things in the pure LesPaul style but also have models that are a bit off the beaten path and that's where the best deals are to be found.

Another plan off attack is to get a less expensive, trippy guitar and add some mods, for example, a 5000 series (Korea) Gretsch with some real TV Jones pickups and the wiring kit added with a fret dress and you're in budget and having an amazing guitar.

Guitars are very personal and there's many, many options so hopefully this thread will give you some great ideas to research.

Andy
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
+1 for Reverend, great instruments and a cool vibe. I own a Daredevil 290, kind of an SG w/ p90s type. Love it.

Also check out Hansen. I have a Firenze II, kind of a cross between a strat and a Jazzmaster with 3 mini humbuckers and a bigsby. Love this thing.

I also need to dig out my old Parker (USA Deluxe). Since I went to the low end, she doesn't get much playtime.

Edit: I see Italia mentioned- my old singer used an Italia 12 string, was a fun guitar to play, but was def not up to the level of the Reverends or Hansens.
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you everybody for the quick responses and great info please keep the ideas coming, thank you.
Old 14th March 2014
GS Community Manager

Is PRS too mainstream? The S2 Starla might be up your alley.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I like those starlas.
Old 14th April 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
+1 for Italia. Solid guitars.
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Check out the Italia guitars! Great retro sound and look and top quality for the price.
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
The newer hofner re-issues are also pretty good.
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Richmond Empire looks beautiful. Awesome detail and craftsmanship.
Old 14th April 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Nelson Instruments are really, really beautiful: Instruments - Nelson Instruments
Old 14th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by salkin red ➑️
Nelson Instruments are really, really beautiful: Instruments - Nelson Instruments
Very nice!
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Maybe it's a bit obvious, but it's hard to get much more retro than a Danelectro...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…