Quantcast
Thomastick Infeld Electric users..talk realistically about sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thomastick Infeld Electric users..talk realistically about sound
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thomastick Infeld Electric users..talk realistically about sound

Im thinking about trying a couple of sets of these on some guitars.

Wondering if you Thomastik-Infeld users can comment in a real sorta way about any sound differences you realize from using these strings

..I mean, compared to all the other 5 to 9 dollar packs out there..

I know they last longer, which is great, but do you realize a useful difference in sound..smoothness, articulation, nuttiness of flavour?

Also, please say what version of the electrics you're using..

POWER-BRIGHTS REGULAR BOTTOM / POWER-BRIGHTS HEAVY BOTTOM

INFELD ELECTRIC GUITAR

BLUES SLIDERS

Hopefully some of you have tried the 'Power Brights' and 'Infeld Electric Guitar' versions and can comment on the differences.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I can't speak for he electric guitar strings, but I use the Thomastik on my electric upbright (BSX) bass and they sound incredible. All around great tone and bright, but not overly bright.
Old 11th March 2014
Deleted User
Huge fan of TI's. Using Power Brights on one guitar. They're truly the best-sounding electric strings, period. Tried the heavy bottoms but preferred the regulars. The Blues Sliders didn't impress me much. Have heard the Infelds aren't much better than the cheaper brands.

Have had the Power Brights on for a month and they still sound excellent (play about an hour a day on that gtr.) Usually I think strings start dying after a week or two but these really do last longer.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Went from Jamerson Labella flat wounds on a P to TI's, holy shot, i can get around on those strings. MUCH more playable.

Ti flats on my jazz box, fatter tone, better playability. Well worth the extra $10
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm seeing asking price of $73.00 for a 4 string set of long scale bass flats
light or medium. Ouch!
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just got a new Jazz box, played really nice. Put TI flats on it, plays even better, sounds fantastic.

Their flats are very expensive, but since you change them so infrequently, I think it is justifiable.

Not sure I would use them (roundwounds) on a strat or tele etc. They seem to wear out faster than it would be worth. If I were rich..... probably still not, I'm cheap!!!
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove ➑️
Not sure I would use them (roundwounds) on a strat or tele etc. They seem to wear out faster than it would be worth. If I were rich..... probably still not, I'm cheap!!!
Really? I've been very impressed by the Power Brights' longevity. The real stars for me though are the TI Spectrums for acoustics.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Never tried them, I just know that after two weeks, my strings don't have the same response.

I would be interested in trying their acoustic strings at some point, thanks for the tip.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used them for about 6 months on my electrics - they are good quality, long lasting, and definitely on the bright side - but I ended up switching to Rotosound, which I liked a little better. Now I am on an Elixer kick, though, and these are my favorites.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu ➑️
I used them for about 6 months on my electrics - they are good quality, long lasting, and definitely on the bright side - but I ended up switching to Rotosound, which I liked a little better. Now I am on an Elixer kick, though, and these are my favorites.
Right on. I haven't checked out Rotosounds, I will. Yes they are on the brighter side (hence Power Brights) which is what I wanted for that guitar. But the treble strings aren't harsh like D'Addario (love that plating - brass? seems to improve longevity) and the bass strings are very solid and big but not too edgy.

For a guitar I wanted a darker sound for, I checked out TI's Blues Sliders but preferred the Newtone Electric Masters. They are round core, nickle-plated steel. The round core gives them a warmer sound than typical hex core strings, but it's still a great sound for rock and roll, to me. All the pure nickel strings I tried like the Blues Sliders really didn't have the energy to cut it for rock and roll for my tastes, even a pretty vintage variety of rock and roll.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT ➑️
I'm seeing asking price of $73.00 for a 4 string set of long scale bass flats
light or medium. Ouch!
Yes. I put a set on my bass about 5 years ago. I think I paid $39 for them. Still sound great. I don't think I'll replace them anytime soon at current prices.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs ➑️
Yes. I put a set on my bass about 5 years ago. I think I paid $39 for them. Still sound great. I don't think I'll replace them anytime soon at current prices.
I'm about to take my '64 Jazz Bass in for some TLC and I'm trying to decide

between Black Nylon Flats or TI-Flats.

The bass turns 50 this year and I remember some of the best tones ever came
from running Black Nylon Wraps. Also I'm making every effort to preserve the original frets which are still in good condition.

My Hofner comes next.

Then I need my vintage 1925 violin bow re-strung and enough to re-cone those original Jensens in my '64 Supro Vibra-Verb.

Tough to budget all my wants this year.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A little ot, I was walking the the guitar store yesterday (sulking because I am a lefty)..... They had a couple hofners. A real one and a chinese one. I plucked an e on both and it was not even remotely similar. The cheap one (the ct) was awful, no life no bloom, The real one was alive like a fine acoustic instrument.

Very enlightening.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
A Hofner does have a certain sound, but for the money, I thought the new
Gretsch Semi-Hollow Basses strung with flats would be equally effective and play better as an instrument.

Obviously you could upgrade the stock model with toaster pickups.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have heard the hofners kind of suck (intonation and such), but I never realized how much different the real one was.

Gimme a p bass with flats and I am all set.

I am sure the Gretch is great.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have heard the hofners kind of suck (intonation and such), but I never realized how much different the real one was.

Gimme a p bass with flats and I am all set.

I am sure the Gretch is great.
I was totally surprised that an $800.00 import Gretsch Bass felt a lot like
a Rick as far as the neck and string tension response. Of course none of the stores are setting up their Gretsch basses with flats, so people are missing the real potential.

Responsibility sucks or I probably would have put a deposit down on the one I tried.

A pro set-up and some real toasters, you'd have a sweet bass.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hate when a guitar that "should" have flats comes with round wounds..
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I hate when a guitar that "should" have flats comes with round wounds..
Absolutely!

Wrong strings, lousy to non-existant in store set-ups.

Ask the store if they carry Black Nylon Wrap Long Scale or Short Scale Bass
strings and they look at you like you're from some other planet.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ordered a couple of sets of Thomastik Infeld Power Bright Regular 10's and got them today.

First impressions are..The 10's almost feel like 9's..not quite but sure more slinky feeling than any 10 I've played.

The texture of these strings is smooth..sliding chords up and down the neck..Im feeling that the squeak is less than usual, and getting around the fretboard feels easier.

Tone..I dunno, they are articulate in the highs..Bright? No brighter than a typical bright string (a good thing) Tonally smoother + bright? I don't have a clue. They sound great, like new strings.

I read in some guy's review on these strings that he felt that they were "pre stretched" Huh? Im having the usual new string period of minor retuning, no biggy, no different than usual.

More than anything, upon initial impression, the thing that stands out is the finger to string feel. Very noticeable difference and I like it.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Are the strings you got round wound or half rounds?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Power Brights..wound strings are Hex core g-e are brass plated. they're roundwounds

here:

Round wound Magnecore alloy on a flexible hexcore for a bright aggressive tone, extra long sustain and reduced playing effort. Designed to enhance harmonics and percussive effects like tapping. High output plus a boost in the high frequencies drive effects to their limits. POWER-BRIGHTS love distortion!

Power-brights regular bottom | Thomastik-Infeld Vienna
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All the sets I tried seem to have the feel of a set one less tension. I like that.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
After my visit to an expert luthier who was reviewing what needs to be done
with my vintage basses, I will never use round wound strings on a vintage bass again.

On my '66 Hofner, I rarely wanted round wound strings.

After all these years, the fret wires still had a good crown.

On my '64 Fender Jazz Bass, the top of the fret wire was flat from running round wound lights. The difference was obvious.

Fortunately, there's no need to replace them, but I can see I need to make every effort to preserve those original frets.

Pretty sure I'm going with Black Nylon Wraps for a while even though T-I
flats will be on this bass as needed down the road.
Old 16th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm about to take my '64 Jazz Bass in for some TLC and I'm trying to decide

between Black Nylon Flats or TI-Flats.

The bass turns 50 this year and I remember some of the best tones ever came
from running Black Nylon Wraps. Also I'm making every effort to preserve the original frets which are still in good condition.

My Hofner comes next.

Then I need my vintage 1925 violin bow re-strung and enough to re-cone those original Jensens in my '64 Supro Vibra-Verb.

Tough to budget all my wants this year.
I had a similar situation with my 1965 Jazz Bass several years ago. I wanted to preserve the original frets and have a classic sound. I tried a variety of flat wounds, including Pyramid and TI, and ultimately ended up using black tape wound La Bellas. The Pyramids had a very dead E string and the .100 gauge of the E string of the TI strings felt weird. I thought the tape wounds were nice on the frets (compared to round wound) and seemed to have a tad more definition (and less thud) than the various flat wounds I tried. I have seen very little fret wear as a result and they still sound it quite good years later.
Old 17th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Smart move doing all you can to preserve the condition of your '65.

The Black Nylon Wraps may dampen the highs a bit, but that helps reduce finger noise, especially tracking D/I.

I'm probably going to try the D' Addario Nylon Wraps on my Jazz.

Unclenny put a set on his Gibson EBO, yielding some of the best tones he's
heard out of that bass.

I still want to try the T-I flats, but need to see if they offer a set that properly
fits my '66 Hofner. Otherwise I may need to go to Pyramid or back to Labella.
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Pulled the trigger on these.

Two sets for less than the price of either Pyramids or T-I's

I think they'll be just fine.

Just checked with the luthier, he's fine with them too.

Items Ordered Price
1 of: D'Addario ETB92 Tapewound Bass Guitar Strings, Medium, 50-105, Long Scale
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

Condition: New $28.63

1 of: D'Addario ECB81S Chromes Bass Guitar Strings, Light, 45-100, Short Scale
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

Condition: New $27.99
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I started reading this thread and searched out the cheapest set of Thomastik strings - 15 bucks for a set of heavy brass 11-59. Got them and decided to put them on my dread. They are beautiful strings. This set has a flatwound 3rd, top three are roundwound. The bottom 2 strings are brass (plated?) resonant, really the best strings I have ever bought.
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I thought the power brights for electric were great. A bit like a stainless steel plated string but with a slightly smoother attack. Unique overtones, can't really describe it. Long life. Would recommend for hollowbodies. Their other strings were to pricey for me to try.(aside from the double bass sets)

Am trying curt mangan sets atm but would go back to the TIs no problem.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'll probably go for T-I Flats for my Ibanez AF105NT Hollow Body
next time around.

Gonna have the works done on dressing the fingerboard and would have to
re-set intonation for the heavier strings anyway, so I might as well go for the best strings too.
Old 25th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'll probably go for T-I Flats for my Ibanez AF105NT Hollow Body
next time around.

Gonna have the works done on dressing the fingerboard and would have to
re-set intonation for the heavier strings anyway, so I might as well go for the best strings too.

You really should as they make hollow bodies really sing. Also flatwounds last so long that it justifies the price.

Take care.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…