Quantcast
Amp power question. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amp power question.
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Amp power question.

Hi all, I'm planning in on buying a Randall RG reissue and importing from the US to AUS because I just can't find it anywhere over here.

Of course this raises the power situation, now I was looking around for step-down transformers when I checked the RG owner manual.
http://www.randallamplifiers.com/man...003HMANUAL.pdf

On the diagram showing the back panel above the power cord all the different power ratings are written (110, 120 etc.) and on the explanation it says
"This jack is for the power cable supplied for your regions power - plug this cable in and the other side to the source."

Does this mean I don't need a converter/adapter/transformer?

Sorry if this is really stupid, I only just got the hang of Ohms.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hello.

Looks like the manufacturer has little check boxes on the chassis for them to indicate how the amp is internally set - to which acceptable voltages. Often you can flick a switch to change form European to North American supply voltages. I would advise writing Randall asking if you need an external transformer to change the supply voltage to a more comfortable voltage for the amp, OR if you can flip an internal switch or re-arrange some wires on the circuit inside the amp. The worst case scenario is that you need an additional transformer to go from your wall (supply voltage) to the amp.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can't you buy a 240v export model.
If there are tick boxes on the back, that means the amp can be internally switched/wired for 240v.
That should be an easy job for a tech in OZ.
Try to avoid the stepdown transformer way.
Leo..
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Beck ➡️
Hello.

Looks like the manufacturer has little check boxes on the chassis for them to indicate how the amp is internally set - to which acceptable voltages. Often you can flick a switch to change form European to North American supply voltages. I would advise writing Randall asking if you need an external transformer to change the supply voltage to a more comfortable voltage for the amp, OR if you can flip an internal switch or re-arrange some wires on the circuit inside the amp. The worst case scenario is that you need an additional transformer to go from your wall (supply voltage) to the amp.
It's probably not a switch - more likely soldering a different tap configuration on the power transformer.

I can't find a Randall schematic anywhere to verify this - they may use a universal transformer, they may not.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…