What effect is being used here - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What effect is being used here
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What effect is being used here

Noob question;

I'm just curious what the lead guitar player has going in this video at 3:17 to make his one guitar sound so harmonic/like two guitars.

Negative Plane - Lamentations and Ashes on Vimeo

Thanks
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
An "Intelligent" pitch shifting effect (meaning it will follow a musical scale say minor, while adding the correct harmony scale, again say a minor 3rd), could be one of many, but it looks to be pedalboard mounted. It's hard to tell by the mix, but I would think it sounds an octave up and a slight mix of the 3rd scale degree. Boss, Digitech, etc make stomp box's capable of adding one or more additional octaves, and harmonies. It does take a little music theory to set it up, but not a deep learning curve. It is the addition of a unison or harmony (or both) the effect produces that makes it sound fatter, as if two guitars are playing single note passages together. That's an old studio hack's take on it anyway :-) VG
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
checkthe EHX hog demos!
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Doesn't have to be very "intelligent", as the harmony in the example is not following a given scale or key, but is consistently a fifth above the notes he is playing.

You can achieve this with a Digitech whammy, Boss harmonist etc.
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah I was thinking it was an octave but it was playing a 5th above the note he was playing, which is something I do often when recording leads and was just wondering what I could use to replicate this live.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem_Fandango ➑️
Yeah I was thinking it was an octave but it was playing a 5th above the note he was playing, which is something I do often when recording leads and was just wondering what I could use to replicate this live.
some pedal the EHX Hog2 is pretty versatile and "smarter" than average, but as Ergo said, a more basic Boss or Digitech shifter may be enough for one's needs. YMMV
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sweet.

I was checking out the boss harmonizer and it seems to be covering what I want. Thanks guys!
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ergo, Clem, I agree and disagree somewhat. I think the EH Pog can flap it's way around that, but that first run has a minor triad and without him really knowing where to park a whammy treadle a straight setting to a 3rd or 5th ain't gonna follow that, and be awful dissonant, and he also seems to step on it and move back. The Boss Harmonist is intelligent, 3 voice, & capable of whammy like texture's as does the Pog, (the only two I have actually owned, pedal wise I use an Eventide Eclipse now) with the tech becoming less costly it could be anything :-) VG
πŸ“ Reply