Quantcast
Best way to get two guitars in tune? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best way to get two guitars in tune?
Old 4th February 2013
  #31
Gear Addict
 
skinnypete's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➡️
you will never get the higher strings perfect unless you install compensated nuts. Especially the G and B strings on the Paul. They will be grossly out of tune unless you use a compensate nut in conjunction with specific temperament. If you want perfect tuning and intonation Frets on a guitar should not be straight and the nut should extend properly over the fingerboard. So it's pretty much impossible to get it right without some modification and a tempered tuning strategy

the easiest free solution is to just play with more vibrato and/or add a chorus pedal. Another thing that can mask some problems with higher strings is to use wound B and G. I don't know why this works but it does.
Hmm.. thats a very strong statement, but then again I have always had trouble with G and B string intonation. I might just look into those.

Sent from my Droid
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Blast9's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➡️

Otherwise you may have to resort to tempered tuning systems eg Buzz Feiten
@skinnypete Yeah, that's what this system involves... anyone remember that Steve Vai guitar with the wobbly frets?
Old 4th February 2013
  #33
Gear Addict
 
skinnypete's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➡️
@skinnypete Yeah, that's what this system involves... anyone remember that Steve Vai guitar with the wobbly frets?
The scalloped board? Im not interested in that personally. Also, i always use equal temperment so im not sure where u guys are going.

Sent from my Droid
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
Blast9's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
No not scalloped - the actual frets were wobbly o the lower frets. Looks weird. Not something I'd go for

The main issue with equal temperament is that some chords can sound sour, often because of the G or B sounding sharp.

...so a lot of people use a tuner then tune some strings slightly flat to compensate.
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
ears2thesky's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It depends on how far you want to take it but the reality is the guitar is never completely in tune with itself; getting 2 guitars in tune with each other is impossible. I recommend shooting for what sounds good regardless of what the tuner says (with in reason, don't be lazy about it).

Unfortunately the guitars you are working with don't have 24 frets because one method that works well is getting the 24th fret harmonic and fretted pitch to be in tune. If you can manage that then you can safely assume the string is properly intoned.

Lastly, take comfort in the fact that a perfectly tuned guitar, or two guitars perfectly in tune, sounds unnatural.


Oh well, I guess I'll give up just because you say it isn't possible to tune two guitars, and if I could, they would sound bad.

What the heck have I been doing all these years?

Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 4th February 2013
  #36
Gear Addict
 
skinnypete's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Im not refering to intervals sounding "out of tune" in equal temperment. Im looking for exact equal temperment.

Im refering to how intonation (between different frets) can be weird on the B and especially G string. This really happens on classical guitar, but I have noticed it on electric as well. Maybe its just me and the particular instruments im using. I use a high gauge unwound 3rd, not sure if that has to do with it.

Sent from my Droid
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for snowflakes
 
12ax7's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
.
Sometimes a pair of guitars can have individual tuning idiosyncrasies that just seem to compliment one another.

...Others just don't seem to get along very well no matter how close you get 'em to "perfect".

There is a difference between being in "perfect tune" and being in "fabulous tune"!
.
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
  #38
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King ➡️
heres the best, easiest, most reliable way Ive found.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/guita...ng-system.html

best,
Sean
Except that it only works on a few types of guitar and requires an excavation in the top which rules out using it on anything old and valuable.

How to get two guitars in tune with each other depends on both the instruments and the player. If you've got some guy with really light strings there's a good chance he's never gonna be perfectly in tune, especially if he has any sort of heavy hand or varies his attack much.

That being said, Peterson Strobe tuner.
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Sofa King's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
Except that it only works on a few types of guitar
It only works on a few?
In your experience, what guitars dosent it work on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
and requires an excavation in the top which rules out using it on anything old and valuable.
Old and valuable, like Dave's 62 335?


EverTune Testimonial - David Levita - YouTube
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
  #40
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➡️
No not scalloped - the actual frets were wobbly o the lower frets. Looks weird. Not something I'd go for

The main issue with equal temperament is that some chords can sound sour, often because of the G or B sounding sharp.

...so a lot of people use a tuner then tune some strings slightly flat to compensate.
Equal temperment is, by definition, out of tune equally at all points. That's why some classical players on non-fretted strings, trombones, and other instruments that don't rigidly define the intervals refer to it as "ill temperment".

Frankly, IMO the whole thing about trying to get everything "perfectly" tuned all the time is a crock, fostered by people who spend too much time staring at computer displays and not enough playing. Why? Because the majority of instruments employed in Western music of all types can not be tuned so they're in tune with themselves all the time in all keys. It's impossible, the harmonic series simply doesn't work that way.

That being said, some very picky people retune the guitar for each phrase and/or chord of a part in order to get it perfectly in tune. If you really insist on perfect tuning that's the ONLY way it can be accomplished - but it's impossible to do that and also play the part live as a single performance. To me, doing it that way is not worth the sacrifice in musical feel and emotional communication - it makes the performance too mechanical.
Old 14th February 2013 | Show parent
  #41
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King ➡️
It only works on a few?
In your experience, what guitars dosent it work on?
Well, I just got that from reading the website. Take it up with them.

And it obviously won't work on any guitar with a vibrato tailpiece or a B-bender of any type. And if you have it set up so that it compensates for hard left hand pressure it's gonna mess with your left hand vibrato a bit. My guess is that guys who like this thing tend to play with a pretty light touch.

Quote:
Old and valuable, like Dave's 62 335?


EverTune Testimonial - David Levita - YouTube
If he doesn't mind chopping a big hole in the top..... I'd never do that, it's destroying a classic instrument.

I wonder how many thousand dollars he knocked off the value of that 335?
Old 25th February 2013
  #42
Lives for gear
 
5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
How do you get two guitars perfectly in tune, all over the neck?

Burn one....
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2591 views: 842435
Avatar for bowzin
bowzin 1 day ago
replies: 53 views: 8645
Avatar for Honch
Honch 24th March 2010
replies: 301 views: 25261
Avatar for John Eppstein
John Eppstein 19th August 2018
replies: 2 views: 181
Avatar for OneEng
OneEng 1 week ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump