Quantcast
Please help me - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please help me
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Please help me

Hi, I filled out this form from a different website, but it may come in handy here. I'm looking for an electric guitar and amplifier:

Budget? - I prefer to stay around €450,- but I can go up to €500,- if that really gets me a better guitar and amplifier.

Favorite Artists? - I like all kinds of music, not really a particular artist that I would really like to play.

Preferences? - I have small hands, so I don't want a guitar that is too heavy or large.

Pickups? - I think I want humbuckers, because in YouTube videos those sounded a lot more awesome.

New or Used? - No used, just new guitars. It is going to be my first guitar and I don't like a used guitar, sorry.

Location? - I'm located in The Netherlands, which isn't a big country so I can travel to anywhere there if needed.

Current Gear? - I don't have anything yet.
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Just to get you started,something like the Epiphone Valve Junior or Black Star 5 Watt,

Guitar, PRS SE, I prefer the Soapbar SE with P-90's to the HB's
especially with a small amp, you'll get more detail.

Try some of the Danelectros and Ibanez guitars.

With very light guitars you have to watch the balance as to how it hangs on the strap when you let go. Many light guitars are what they call Neck Heavy, so the neck keeps falling and you're using extra energy just holding up the neck.

Have someone that really knows guitars go with you to point out pros and cons of each guitar, then narrow it down.

In anything Fender, you want an early 60's neck.
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I don't know anyone who plays electric guitar, so could you recommend some specific models?
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Is this for learning? Recording? Playing live?

Can you give us some clue of what kind of music you want to play?

Sent from my Droid
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It is for learning, but I want my gear to last a lifetime if possible (I'm a poor student and can't upgrade easily).

I like practically everything. But I made a top five of my favorite songs for you guys, hope it helps:
Practically everything by Led Zeppelin
Matt Corby - Soul's a fire
Aerosmith - Amazing
Prince - Purple Rain
Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I tried to make some suggestions that are both affordable and practical for
starting out.

Choosing a guitar, is not easy even when you know all there is to know about guitars.

The quality control is all over the place even in expensive guitars.

The safest recommendation is to go to your local shops and ask them
to show you the different types of guitars and in your case the different neck shapes to accommodate small hands.

The '60's necks are generally skinnier, so easier to use with short fingers.

Guitars with single coil pickups generally give you more detail and clarity, while guitars with Humbuckers, generally take you into distortion earlier. P-90's give you single coil clarity, but a good amount of natural breakup without being too muddy on the neck pickup.

For learning I would go single coil, like a Fender Telecaster or Strat.
When you hear every detail, it helps you adjust your playing technique, playing lighter for clean tones and digging in harder with your pick or fingers for a more aggressive tone.

I also recommended an affordable small 5 watt Class A amp.

5 watts is WAY plenty loud for places like apartments.

The little Champ XD is cool enough, but your budget is limited, so I'd
spend most of it trying to get the best guitar you can afford and maybe leave $150-200 for an affordable practice amp.

Epiphone Valve Jr, Black Start HT-5 Vox Night Train, something along those lines. Over here, an Epiphone Valve Jr. is about $100.00 clean used.

You might ask the music teacher in your school if they can recommend someone to help you select the best guitar from the one's you like.

You can have 5 of the exact same looking guitar in front of you and each one will be a bit different, sound better, feel better/worse, play without buzz etc.

If you have friends in band, they should be happy to help you find the right guitar.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm looking through the "Affordable" guitars that are not complete junk and U.S. prices
The MIM Fender Standards run about $500.00 American Standards are not too much more, so think about it.

No clue what the same guitar runs over there.
Trying to start you out with something better than a cheap beginner Squire model if at all possible.

Fender Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar with Gig Bag | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

The PRS Soapbar 245 is a nice playing, well balance, mid price guitar.
http://www.samash.com/p/Paul%20Reed%...%20Bag_1602499

Ibanez Artist series mid priced and reasonable quality.

The most affordable Gibson, I would even consider looking at is the
Gibson Les Paul Junior Special P-90

http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson_Les%2...%20Bag_1868152

This has the extra feature of a tune-a-matic bridge which makes intonation set up much more accurate.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
For Les Paul-style, I would check out Epiphone or LTD.

For Fenders, I would check out Standard Tele and Standard Strat.

Sent from my Droid
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You said not used but I would go with a 90s LP studio and a mim strat. That'll cover everything and should fit your budget.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you like humbuckers, stick with SG, Les Paul or 335 type guitars. Don't get a Telecaster or Strat. They're both great guitars but it's a very different kind of sound.

At this price point, Epiphone probably have the best options. They make some good guitars which are great value.

An Epiphone SG G-400 PRO CH has a slim neck and coil taps add a few more tone options. It's a decent guitar which you'd probably want to keep for along time. Thomann.de price is 245 euros.

The Epiphone Dot (335) is probably one of the most popular items in the Epiphone catalogue. It's a big guitar so take a look at the smaller 339 if it's too much.

An Epiphone Les Paul Studio or Standard could be another good choice.

Solid bodies like the Les Paul and the SG are probably better than the 335 if you plan to use overdriven sounds more often than clean ones, and vice versa, but it's not a hard and fast rule. Either guitar can do both. Personally, I love the rich, honey-and-cream sound of a 335. It's a very versatile, musical instrument: jazz, BB King blues, has also been seen in rock bands like Rush and Oasis.

For the amp, there's really only one choice in your budget: a Blackstar HT1R combo (get an R model 'cos it's got reverb). Thomann.de price is 225 euros. Comes with a headphones socket for quiet practicing.

If you could stretch to the 5W version, you've got a little more control over tone and, more importantly, a bigger speaker which will give you a much better sound.

When you decide what you want, take your time to try out a few different guitars of the same model unplugged as well as amplified. Pick the one that sounds and feels liveliest.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss.Alice ➑️
It is for learning, but I want my gear to last a lifetime if possible (I'm a poor student and can't upgrade easily).

I like practically everything. But I made a top five of my favorite songs for you guys, hope it helps:
Practically everything by Led Zeppelin
Matt Corby - Soul's a fire
Aerosmith - Amazing
Prince - Purple Rain
Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond
Interesting... Pink Floyd and Prince use single coil pickups (Stratocaster and Telecaster copy respectively) Jimmy Page uses both single coil (Fender Telecaster/Esquire, Danelectro) and humbuckers (Les Paul, SG), Aerosmith uses mostly humbuckers (Les Paul), and Matt Corby, it seems, plays an acoustic.

I'd recommend that you check out the Squier Telecasters and Stratocasters and the Epiphone Les Pauls and SGs that have the glued-in neck. You don't really want a Gibson style guitar with a bolt-on.

The PRS is probably out of your price range and their version of a P-90 isn't very good, anyway.

Get a small tube amp - the Epiphone Valve Junior is good if you can find one - they appear to have been discontinued.

Don't put much stock in Youtube comparison videos. YT's sound isn't very good and most of the comparisons I've seen there have not been well done at all...
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…