Quantcast
Kemper or orange rockerverb for live/studio use? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kemper or orange rockerverb for live/studio use?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Kemper or orange rockerverb for live/studio use?

Hey,
I'm getting back playing rhythm live and also write and produce in the studio..... I was going to buy a rockerverb 50 with a 2x 12 cab but can t help but be tempted by the kemper..... Any advice and is the kemper really that good ? Also can you use a foot switch on the kemper to change amps easily.... While I'm asking if I'm tracking at 48k will the kemper slave to 48k on its digital output ?
Cheers
Karl
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Only way is to try both and see if you like the Kemper. They announced a new rackmount version at NAMM; will see it tomorrow.
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
You can go to the Kemper forums for everything Kemper Main Page - Kemper Amps Forum I have one and I love it and I still love using my JCM800, so ... It's very convenient for studio work and bedroom volume levels.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'd love to know if I can slave digitally at 48k and send both a d.i and amped sound to my avid omni/Hdx rig ......... Anyone?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

No, the Kemper SPDIF is 44.1 only currently and it has to be the master, so if you intend to work at 48k then you must use the analog outs on the unit (there's no appreciable difference in sound between the XLR outs and the SPDIF in my tests in terms of sound quality going through an Apogee Ensemble).
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
FWIW - my Rockerverb 50 was profiled by Kemper for the original factory set of included amps. My unit is an early one, has the Mercury Magnetics' transformers and sounds great

..... profiled in the Kemper or stand alone!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Seems a bit strange having to be master and only 44.1k .... Not great for studio use...... Any info on if/when they may upgrade software to run 48k?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
And I take it you are really happy with the factory set sound of your profiled rockerverb on the kemper ? Close or very close? Kj
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by karljohnson ➑️
And I take it you are really happy with the factory set sound of your profiled rockerverb on the kemper ? Close or very close? Kj
Uncanny - plays and feels just like my amp, to me.
The Matchless Chieftain is unreal, too.
Old 26th January 2013
col
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I don't own a RV, but I've played one in band context, and have had my KPA for a year or so:

KPA
Pros:
- It's light and easy to set up
- Consistent and good foh tone
- Awesome and easy to record with

Cons:
- It doesn't feel the same "mass of sound hitting your body" as a 4x12 + 100W tube amp (I'm running mine with active monitors live, not poweramp + cab so ymmv)
- It's a lot more finicky with post eq in mixing, it can get really thin/piercing with generous amounts of eq. That said, you don't really need much post eq tweaks with it, you can get away with a lot less than with tube amp tracks.

The track in my signature is all Kemper btw.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think I may indulge in the kemper with the power amp ..... Mmmmm rack or usual version ? Does anybody know if running it with say an orange 2x 12 cab would be fine ?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Also could anyone tell me what's missing on the rack compared to the power head ? Is it just some l.e.d's ?
Bid love to hear some straight ahead rock profiles .... Orange, ac30 , fender, Marshall , diezel, Mesa single .... Most online seem to be heavy hard rock .... Anyone care to post or share a link ?
Cheers
Kj
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by col ➑️
I don't own a RV, but I've played one in band context, and have had my KPA for a year or so:

KPA
Pros:
- It's light and easy to set up
- Consistent and good foh tone
- Awesome and easy to record with

Cons:
- It doesn't feel the same "mass of sound hitting your body" as a 4x12 + 100W tube amp (I'm running mine with active monitors live, not poweramp + cab so ymmv)
When I run my KPA through an amp/2x12 it does make a difference to me - it becomes a guitar amp, not something trying to be a guitar amp, from a performance standpoint. YMMV, but it's def worth trying.
Old 20th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by karljohnson ➑️
Seems a bit strange having to be master and only 44.1k .... Not great for studio use...... Any info on if/when they may upgrade software to run 48k?
If you use a unit like the Antelope Pure2, it has SRC and it won't matter if Kemper "thinks" it's the S/PDIF master, the Pure2 will sample rate convert the incoming signal to any rate you want with a very high quality result, including avoiding clicks/pops.
πŸ“ Reply