Quantcast
Marshall DSL100 into 2x12 guitar and 2x15 bass? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Marshall DSL100 into 2x12 guitar and 2x15 bass?
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Marshall DSL100 into 2x12 guitar and 2x15 bass?

Hi all, new to the forums, so thanks for humoring my noobness.

I have had a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 from new for about 12 years. I'm currently getting it serviced as one of the valves blew but then im hoping it'll be back to fresh!

For the sound I'm after, I play a Fender Bass VI as a normal guitar - our band plays a mix of DFA1979, QOTSA and The Bronx style stuff - Listen to the band here THE MALES.

So speaking to a friend, he advised that I run the amp into my existing 1936 2x12 cab, replacing it's speakers with decent Celestion greenbacks and also out to a 2x15 bass cab. I basically want some serious hi gain crunch, and a decent low end too.

Can anyone advise me on a) which greenbacks i'd need to buy and how I'd wire them (series ? parrallel?) and b) what rating of Bass cab speaker I'd be looking for to match this.

as an optional C) does anyone recommend I try a different head? maybe a 5150 or a Blackstar 100w head?

Thanks for any advice, I'm pretty much new to this.

Cheers

Will
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
You may as well try the amp directly into a bass cab and see if you like it or use high wattage (100+watts rating each) speakers in the 1936. The high wattage guitar speakers ( Fane AXA Studio 12L, Electrovoice EVM12L etc) will also give you a tighter low end. Splitting the signal is alot of hassle and you may just prefer having one cab or another. Greenbacks are rated too low for a 100w marshall, don't bother unless you have four of them.
Old 1st July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
As far as the impedance and wiring goes, it all depends on the bass cab. Most 2x15 bass cabs will have two 8 ohm drivers, which could be wired in series to provide 16 ohms. Usually, for a bass cab, they would be wired parallel, making the cab 4 ohms, which would be problematic. If You got two 8 ohm drivers for the 1936 and wired them in series, You would have another 16 ohm cab. Both cabs running together would present 8 ohms to the head which should be fine.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…