Quantcast
Best modern Precision Bass... - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best modern Precision Bass...
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Just in trying to test track direct with my '79 USA Schecter PJ vs. my '64 Jazz Bass, It doesn't take long to discover that all those punchy mids delivered by the hotter Schecter pickups, does not sound so good going D/I. This bass needs to go through my Reeves 225 to sound right. I would also need to change it out to flats if I wanted anywhere close to the '64 Jazz Bass smoothness.
The Jazz Bass is currently strung with year old half rounds. Ugh!

Even with the mild vintage pickups in the Jazz Bass, I had to cut the treble control to keep the sound smooth and it helps to play gently up the neck a bit to reduce any finger clack.

The point is, when you choose a bass, it can be chosen to do both live work and recording or be chosen specifically for the way it records D/I which is the way most bass tracks are done. The brighter the bass, the more difficult to capture a good warm, woody bass sound.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 13th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypete ➡️
Best new P-Basses: Sadowsky Ultra-Vintage P, Lakland 44-64
I own both of these basses as well as a couple of Fender Ps and a Fender PJ. The Sadowsky (NYC Model) is, hands down, the best sounding of all of them. The Lakland is a close runner up but the best thing about the Sadowsky is that there is not a hot spot or dead spot anywhere on the fretboard...all notes sing out with equal tonality and volume. That is also true with the Sadowsky NYC JJ4.
Old 26th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I HIGHLY recommend the Pino Palladino custom shop P bass! I bought one used for around $2900. A friend bought the same model brand new (around $3550) about a month ago and they're identical. I can't believe how consistent the build and sound quality are, considering they're custom shop built probably three years apart.

I grew up playing (and still play) a 1969, and I recently bought a mint 1965.

The Pino and the 65 are very close in sound, with the 65 being a little brighter. The Pino sounds more like a great rock bass than a vintage Motown bass.

The 69 is darker than the other two, but still has that vintage Fender sound. I have all of them strung with D'Addario Flats.

I think that the P basses were pretty consistent from 69 through 72, maybe even 73.

If you're going to go vintage, make sure that you have ALL of the original parts- neck and body of course, but the most important things are both the volume and tone pot, as well as the pickups.

If the pots are scratchy, don't worry. You can carefully pry them apart and clean them.

You don't need the original frets or the original input jack.

I added an after market BadAss 2 bridge to my 69, (which doesn't need any body routing to fit), and noticed a bit more impact. I may drop the original bridge back in to see how I like it now, though the E string saddle used to slowly work it's way down no matter WHAT I did to keep it in place. I think it's haunted, which is why I tried the BadAss.

That said, my Pino has been the hands-down go to P bass for me these days. It sounds amazing, and it's completely replaceable if something happens to it on a gig.

Good luck!

-Phil
Phil Palombi - Bassist
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Pat Wilkins .. gifted builder , Dingwall .. Dingwall makes a Super P but I must say my AB1 is one of the best sounding and playing basses I have ever had in my hands .
Old 16th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I ran into the honey burst stain run of the American Special at GC this week and was floored. A real beauty, but it was the neck that was most impressive. A little leaner than the Standard, it felt fast and just heavenly; I got to admit I'm a sucker for the graphite reinforcement. $750. I'm tempted to put tapewounds on it.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I played a US p bass with a baddass bridge and jazz bridge pickup. Best new US bass I have played yet, pretty versatile. Aside from that there is a block neck Japan p that sounds and feels amazing that I would buy asap if I was shopping.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Later models AVRI 57 and 62 models, after they switched to full nitro (not saying the ones before are bad). I have a last production year 57 and it's spectacular.
📝 Reply