Best modern Precision Bass... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best modern Precision Bass...
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypete ➑️
Dude, how have you not heard of Lakland? Lmao you cant be serious.
Nope, never heard of them until I came upon this thread.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu ➑️
Nope, never heard of them until I came upon this thread.
Well, I am not big into trade mags or forums. But I first heard of them reading Bass Player in the early 90s. And more recently, they are all over talkbass.com.

Well, now you've heard of them! Lakland definitely deserves to be brought up in a discussion about "best modern P-Bass". Play one and see for yourself.

Sent from my Droid
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT ➑️
my Tom Anderson built, '79 Schecter USA Custom Shop PJ.

I just got a boner.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

One Solid Piece of Hawaiian Koa for the body.
It took him 6 months just to find a single piece of Koa,
large enough, strong enough and nice enough for a one piece body.

Solid Pau Fero Telebass neck.
1/8" Silver Inlay top of neck fret dots.
Brass Nut.

Pots Up for sorta vintage, down for grind.

Weighs like 12 pounds

I have this bass configured BEAD with the low 4 strings of a 5 string set.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear
I would go to a guitar shop and just play a bunch until you find one you like. G&L, Lakland, Fender, Squire...you'll know when you play it. Even if it's purple sparkle burst or racer yellow, it's all about how it sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years

Wow! Sweet bass! Mean and lean.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➑️

Wow! Sweet bass! Mean and lean.
Cool I'd love to hear it. Anyway, at 12 lbs, I think we should call her "big boned".

:D

Sent from my Droid
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I have yet to try flats on this bass which I should, but for now it's my grind bass with round wounds.

I posted this camera mic only version a LONG time ago.

Camera is picking up computer G5 Towers fan 3" away.

Reeves Custom 225 '79 Schecter USA Custom Shop - YouTube

I told Tom, I wanted an Entwistle Bass, so he put the same passive push pull pots and pickup system in mine that he used for the one John ordered.

Pete Townshend was also using Tom Anderson, Tone Wood, built Strats at the time.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The benefit of a 4 string bass, configured BEAD, is that it forces you to stay low, where the meat is, where it drives the band.

It's also ideal for guys like me with short fingers, where a 5 string neck feels too wide and cumbersome. The natural oil finish makes the Pau Fero neck as hard as a pressure treated baseball bat, slickity fast and very comfortable to play.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypete ➑️
Cool I'd love to hear it. Anyway, at 12 lbs, I think we should call her "big boned".

:D
yeah, that's a chuck of wood, alright! A nice lean look though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Pete Townshend was also using Tom Anderson, Tone Wood, built Strats at the time.

Townsend's Teles (sic) were made by Schecter too...any idea whether Tom Anderson was involved with those guitars?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross ➑️
Townsend's Teles (sic) were made by Schecter too...any idea whether Tom Anderson was involved with those guitars?
This was back when Tom Anderson pretty much founded Schecter and was just selling mostly parts. Then a lucky few of us said screw that, please build me a guitar.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Just for perspective, here's my '64 Jazz Bass D/I into M-Audio Project Mix I/O, Logic Studio 9. I'm not quite in the pocket, just a tone test.

Added 2:1 compression on raw file to boost volume a bit.
Attached Files

Draft Bass 64 Jazz Bass.mp3 (855.7 KB, 1100 views)

Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just for perspective, here's my '64 Jazz Bass D/I into M-Audio Project Mix I/O, Logic Studio 9. I'm not quite in the pocket, just a tone test.

Added 2:1 compression on raw file to boost volume a bit.
Keep practicing bro -- you'll get there some day... Determination is the key.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The American Standard P Bass was revamped in 2008 and are really good, I picked on up used for $800 and couldnt be happier with it.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.sicilian ➑️
Keep practicing bro -- you'll get there some day... Determination is the key.
Yeah I guess my chops are a bit rusty since I haven't picked up my bass in over a year. Nice chops on the funk/disco.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The current issue of $1,250 standard Fender P-Basses are hard to top. Squiers are adequate for tone, but the necks aren't as fun to play as a top of the line bass.

Another thing to look at is this Steve Harris bass:

Fender Steve Harris P Bass | Musician's Friend

It comes with flats from the factory. It's impossible to slap on it for some reason, but plays amazingly for everything else. Very solid, heavy, and facilitates a nice fast staccato pluck.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➑️
I would go to a guitar shop and just play a bunch until you find one you like. G&L, Lakland, Fender, Squire...you'll know when you play it. Even if it's purple sparkle burst or racer yellow, it's all about how it sounds.
+1

Try as many as you can. That's the only way to find out what suits you best. Even If I told you my 2004 USA P-Bass is awsome, your hands and your ears are different. If you want a P-Bass, try them all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D ➑️
The American Standard P Bass was revamped in 2008 and are really good, I picked on up used for $800 and couldnt be happier with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
The current issue of $1,250 standard Fender P-Basses are hard to top.
true. Timeless classic revamped to be even more perfect. These instruments are just the definition of what a bass guitar is to me. (Jazz Basses included)
I must add though, that I recently visited a shop searching for a bass for my dad and I tried an american deluxe P-Bass, and let me tell you I would've walked away with it fearless. What an awsome bass that was... More expensive but a little more versatile and refined that their American Standard counterparts.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
there really are no differences between any of their basses as far as quality goes. The Asian and Mexican offerings are just as good as the US ones these days with the exception of pickups and maybe some hardware.

Vintage instruments in general are something you want to avoid. Many need fret jobs, have had fret jobs have cracked headstocks over-sprayed. The older Fender guitars/basses are very very noisy with poor shielding and electronics.
Most of the pickups including vintage ones are very cheap

The problem with vintage Fenders is they necks are really really bad. Some don't even have truss rods and essentially none of them have skunk-stripe so they warp easy and majority of them have neck issues and simply cannot be setup properly. If you want the best price performance mid 90s Mexican fender p basses are the best bang for the buck on ebay or gc.com You can snag them for $300.

Schecter Diamond P bass are a great alternative
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emitsweet ➑️
there really are no differences between any of their basses as far as quality goes. The Asian and Mexican offerings are just as good as the US ones these days with the exception of pickups and maybe some hardware.

Vintage instruments in general are something you want to avoid. Many need fret jobs, have had fret jobs have cracked headstocks over-sprayed. The older Fender guitars/basses are very very noisy with poor shielding and electronics.
Most of the pickups including vintage ones are very cheap

The problem with vintage Fenders is they necks are really really bad. Some don't even have truss rods and essentially none of them have skunk-stripe so they warp easy and majority of them have neck issues and simply cannot be setup properly. If you want the best price performance mid 90s Mexican fender p basses are the best bang for the buck on ebay or gc.com You can snag them for $300.

Schecter Diamond P bass are a great alternative
The USA basses may not all be awsome indeed but the mexican basses are absolutely inferior. You may find an exception to the rule once in a while but generally that's how it is. There is definately a difference in overall quality and playability.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico ➑️
The USA basses may not all be awsome indeed but the mexican basses are absolutely inferior. You may find an exception to the rule once in a while but generally that's how it is. There is definately a difference in overall quality and playability.
they are all made by machines. I think they even paint them with robot in USA shops.
I don't understand why people get caught up in that "USA" marketing hype.

The Mexico models are great. Sometimes you may need to replace bridge or a pickup
but that's a $75 upgrade and does not justify the $500+ retail price difference.
The wood and finishes are the same. "USA" ....... It's all marketing hype
the difference between USA and Mexican Fenders is not 1/2 as drastic as Gibson vs Epiphone
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
they are all made by machines. I think they even paint them with robot in USA shops.
I don't understand why people get caught up in that "USA" marketing hype.

The Mexico models are great. Sometimes you may need to replace bridge or a pickup
but that's a $75 upgrade and does not justify the $500+ retail price difference.
The wood and finishes are the same. "USA" ....... It's all marketing hype
the difference between USA and Mexican Fenders is not 1/2 as drastic as Gibson vs Epiphone
there are actually differences in the type, quality and weight of the body wood, the type of metals used in the bridge and tuners, the thickness and materials in the finish, and the electronics. I recently went to GC and played a dozen new Fender basses, MIA, MIM and MIK or MII (Indonesia). The lower priced ones played ok but tended to be much heavier and have thicker finishes. The MIM were a noticeable step up from the MII/MIK Squiers and the American Standards were a noticeable step up from the MIM in terms of weight, balance, feel, sound, and attention to detail like neck pocket tolerance and fret end polishing. Not saying there aren't high priced dogs and low priced gems out there but after years of buying low end Fender guitars of all kinds I finally realized that you often do get what you pay for up to a point, at least with stuff made in the past few years.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
there are actually differences in the type, quality and weight of the body wood, the type of metals used in the bridge and tuners, the thickness and materials in the finish, and the electronics. I recently went to GC and played a dozen new Fender basses, MIA, MIM and MIK or MII (Indonesia). The lower priced ones played ok but tended to be much heavier and have thicker finishes. The MIM were a noticeable step up from the MII/MIK Squiers and the American Standards were a noticeable step up from the MIM in terms of weight, balance, feel, sound, and attention to detail like neck pocket tolerance and fret end polishing. Not saying there aren't high priced dogs and low priced gems out there but after years of buying low end Fender guitars of all kinds I finally realized that you often do get what you pay for up to a point, at least with stuff made in the past few years.
you would think there are differences but how much difference does it really make?

If all this stuff was the end all to tonal quality Gibsons and PRS would sound better than fenders since they use far superior materials and the finish work is also superior on a Gibson . However we know that this is not the case in reality since fenders, even mexican and asian models are every bit as good as Gibson and PRS as far as sound and playability. But component for component and wood slab by wood slab they don't compete on the exotic factor. I guess it's not really quantifiable.

I have a 62 strat and a 77 strat they sound pretty much the same. Sometimes I actually think the 77 has more sustain. The 3 bolt design may play a factor? I also have a 70s pbass and a new schecter pbass copy. The schecter is much better and is made in North Korea. So I don't see a correlation

I bought my nephew a $100 squire a couple years ago, it sounds as good as any fender I have played. Although I'm not crazy about the feel of it, it does feel cheap but plugged in it sounds like a fender, but then again I can make my ibanez rg sound like a fender when I switch to single coil.

On tape no one can tell the difference between USA, Mexico or sound or Thailand. If you like the feel of one instrument over another that justifies paying more for it , since if you play better then it's worth the extra dough
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
...On tape no one can tell the difference between USA, Mexico or sound or Thailand. If you like the feel of one instrument over another that justifies paying more for it , since if you play better then it's worth the extra dough
I agree, and until recently have always played mostly MIJ Fenders, before they were cool! Had a 90s American Standard that was awful, and a MIM Strat that was really sweet. There was always the temptation to mod them though, pickups, bridges, tuners, pots switches it adds up and then if you need a fret job you're upside down on it as far as any resale value. In the past couple years I've picked up a nice American Strat and that P Bass and they are both basically perfect! I think it varies you just have to play a few. Feel does have alot to do with it and as hyped up as the thin nitro finish thing is I think there may actually be something to that. Gibsons all have nitro as far as I know, while most imports have thicker polyurethane finishes. I have a 1976 Ibanez with a thick poly finish, 37 years old and looks brand new.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I agree, and until recently have always played mostly MIJ Fenders, before they were cool! Had a 90s American Standard that was awful, and a MIM Strat that was really sweet. There was always the temptation to mod them though, pickups, bridges, tuners, pots switches it adds up and then if you need a fret job you're upside down on it as far as any resale value. In the past couple years I've picked up a nice American Strat and that P Bass and they are both basically perfect! I think it varies you just have to play a few. Feel does have alot to do with it and as hyped up as the thin nitro finish thing is I think there may actually be something to that. Gibsons all have nitro as far as I know, while most imports have thicker polyurethane finishes. I have a 1976 Ibanez with a thick poly finish, 37 years old and looks brand new.
I had a 90s strat, natural finish with a hard tail I loved it. I regret selling it

I agree about the nitro though I love the thin finish

70s Ibanez guitars are great. But yeah the finish is a bit thick. But PRS has a thick poly finish and they sound good too. they look good.
πŸ“ Reply