reverb with "shimmer" effect - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
reverb with "shimmer" effect
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
reverb with "shimmer" effect

so I'm looking for that "shimmer" effect that some pedals come with-
the three I've found are the Strymon blueSky, Digitech Hardwire Supernatural, and the Mooer ShimVerb. I haven't personally played out of any because they're not readily available at any of the stores near me-but after watching a lot of videos and reading reviews I'm leaning toward the ShimVerb because it's a far smaller footprint than the other two and half the price-about a quarter of the price of the blueSky-unlike the other two, the shimmer trail isn't a higher octave so it's more of the tone I'm looking for...though the blueSky has multiple reverb settings to the point where I think I can probably dial a tone in close to the ShimVerb if I play around long enough..
it's a tough effect to really explain, so if anyone has any alternative suggestions I'd love to hear them. thanks!
Old 24th January 2013
Deleted fece643
I own this: Eterna | Mr. Black

The Mr. Black Eterna pedal, it's a great pedal even with the shimmer turned off a very nice reverb pedal.
Old 24th January 2013
GS Community Manager

The Mooer sounds really strident and awful to my ears. I think the shimmer is a fifth, not an octave like the other two, so it's going to sound weird sometimes depending on what you're playing.

The Digitech is slightly detuned - intentionally, apparently, but it kind of works. Sounds dark.

The Strymon will be the most versatile and of course the most expensive.

You can always do your own shimmer with a splitter and an octaver pedal. You would need a verb that could be set to 100% wet.

I believe the Eventide Space is another option too.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I would stay away from Mooer

sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_R ➡️
I own this: Eterna | Mr. Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat ➡️
You can always do your own shimmer with a splitter and an octaver pedal. You would need a verb that could be set to 100% wet.
I've never used a shimmer but the first clip in that Mr Black link really intrigues me. I have a splitter, an old Digitech WhammyII, and an RE-201 w/ reverb. Would I send one signal to the Whammy, shift it an octave up, and then to the Space Echo's "PA" input (for 100% wet output)? Or, is there a better way to do this with the gear I listed? I don't entirely understand what a shimmer is (guessing it's pitched-up reverb?) but I could really use a tone like the one in that clip.
Thanks!
Old 25th January 2013
GS Community Manager

One approach...

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
One approach...

Whoa I remember seeing this video a while ago. Now that I'm more educated I'd love to make some use out of sounds like these.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
One approach...
Fantastic, thank you!
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've had a Bluesky for a while now. $300 and worth every penny - it's an extraordinary box. I don't use the plate shimmer personally, but I've played around with it and it is really deep and spacious, with all kinds of stuff going on at the top-end which sounds like major fifth chords or something.

Anyway, it is more than just a pedal for shimmer, and that really explains the price - it recreates vintage and recent spring reverb with astonishing fidelity, and the plate reverb is spot on. I mostly use it on the Room setting, and it builds huge, organic-sounding reverb around my guitar.

I like the Bluesky so much that when I'm recording in Logic Pro 9 and DI-ing my Telecaster, I prefer to use the Bluesky for reverb rather than the brilliant Logic reverb plug-ins. It's that good.

I run the Bluesky alongside a Strymon El Capistan (tape delay pedal). I am in love with the way they sound together. So chewy!
📝 Reply