Quantcast
Best pickups for poppunk/easycore? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best pickups for poppunk/easycore?
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Best pickups for poppunk/easycore?

The band I am currently in is interested in down tuning to drop C or B to play some heavier easycore/poppunk. What we're shooting for!

Heres the problem: im not really sure if we can achieve that type of heavier tone with the pickups we're using in our guitars. I play a Gibson SG special with Seymour Duncan JBs through a mesa single rec, and he plays a Gibson LP Faded with P90s through my old 5150. I'm afraid that it might be hard to achieve this tone using the P90's or even with the JB's. I have read that EMG's are really the way to go but i want to confirm if what we're using could/couldn't achieve that sound.

Thanks for the help!
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You'll definitely be able to get that tone... and enough gain and midrange with P90s and JBs through those amps. A tube screamer or similar will help tighten up the bottom end

The best part about the P90 is that you'll get clarity and bags of character

You may well have to back the bass waaay down on the amps if you're going through 4 x 12s

The midrange in that clip sounds like sm57/greenbacks (massive guess) - I've heard that character with a 5150/ 2 x 12 greenbacks/sm57 combination
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 ➡️
You'll definitely be able to get that tone... and enough gain and midrange with P90s and JBs through those amps. A tube screamer or similar will help tighten up the bottom end

The best part about the P90 is that you'll get clarity and bags of character

You may well have to back the bass waaay down on the amps if you're going through 4 x 12s

The midrange in that clip sounds like sm57/greenbacks (massive guess) - I've heard that character with a 5150/ 2 x 12 greenbacks/sm57 combination
I have used a ts9 through the 5150 and always felt that it made it sound a little worse then before but that might change when im dropping to lower tunings. im currently using a marshall 1960a, and hes using a carvin 2x12 but we are looking to get another 4x12. I have been looking at speakers online and it sounds like Celestion V30s are the way to go but are there any speakers that might fit my needs better that you know of? And what brands make 4x12s specifically with those speakers inside if there are any?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well - Marshall does them, but I don't think new standard greenbacks are the way to go. you might be better off with V30s for a more aggressive midrange and fat bottom end.

I'm not a fan of either as far as brand new Celestions go.

Scumback speakers are worth looking at as aftermarket replacements

Well worth looking at the Mesa cabs instead of Marshall as you're Stateside... the British stuff like Marshall and Blackstar are probably overpriced - Mesa Boogie Rectifier Guitar Cabinets

What about the recto cab? Tighter bottom end and more pronounced mids.

PS I know what you mean about the TS9!
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
when refering to the TS9 do you think a moham808 would make any difference or should i stray away, i feel as though my Single rec has enough gain to do what i need without distortion pedals. and i was referred to look at Mesa Cabs once already which is most likely what im going to do now that a few people have mentioned it. Will they help me achieve a more thick Bass sound? im sure the open-back carvin im using isnt doing too much lol
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Drop B!? Yikes man.

JB through a Single Rec is a pretty rock solid tone for pop punk.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah an enclosed cab is the way to go for this sorta thing. I really like the natural spread and balanced tone of an open back 2 x 12 though!

I think Mesa is the way to go - I believe their speakers are modified Celestions. Stay clear of standard G12t-75 loaded 1960 cab IMHO... The older moth-eaten straight fronted ones sound great though. But I think G12t-75s are too scooped for your tone

As far as TS type pedals - come to think of it, you might be better off with a graphic EQ pedal to shape the bottom end (some peeps put them through FX loop instead of up front) - there are some modded ones you can get with better signal/noise ratio (can't remember who - Keeley? analogman? Wampler?)
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'll have to disagree. You arent looking for tonal nuances here, just the ability to stay clear and tight without the bass turning to complete mud.

You want a trebly pickup like the JB in bridge (emg 81s would also work), and the 12gt-75 celestion in closed cab is the speaker you want. Can handle the bass and will stay tight. Greenbacks dont have as much bass and are too loose. V30s would probably work well too, but they have a treble spike and not nearly as much bass, but it may stay tight in drop tuning. You might try out an old peavey xxx cab which works well for drop tuned. Its a v30 clone with more bass.

Those kids probably used a modeller. The real problem you are going to have is recording with a mic on the speaker cab. An sm57 wont capture the cab sound, you need a mic with better bass rep, maybe a md421 or m201.

I would say that 90% of you effort should be spent on micing/EQing the cab. Buying new gear wont get the sound.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
FWIW. I think it's more about the amp (the head not so much the cab) than the pickups, I've recorded some tight sounding drop C bands and they all had traditional Les Pauls and SGs. Are you going for a layered 'wall of sound' or a more raw indie distinct '2 guitar' type production?
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreChris ➡️
and the 12gt-75 celestion in closed cab is the speaker you want. Can handle the bass and will stay tight. Greenbacks dont have as much bass and are too loose. V30s would probably work well too, but they have a treble spike and not nearly as much bass, but it may stay tight in drop tuning.
IMHO new gt12-75s in a new Marshall 4 x 12 sound awful - raspy (mind you so do the other 2 Celestions mentioned)

V30 has plenty of bass in a 4 x 12 when you drop tuning, nice and tight but full bodied punchy tone, but yes those spiky upper mids are tiresome/fatiguing

You're right about the greenback - it does have a softer less punchy tone, but nice mids
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I don't now why you would need EMG's to get that sound, especially with the amps you're using. A JB in the bridge is plenty and P90's are great, pissed off rock pickups that work excellent with high gain amps.

Just dial the amps in the way you like, then back of the gain a bit. You'll get more punch and clarity that way. If you want that upfront sound, closed back cabs w/V30's are hard to beat and will sit nicely in the mix nicely. They don't produce a lot of lowend but you don't need a lot of lowend in your tone, let the bass take care of that.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
EMG pickups are popular because they are noiseless. They dont really have any "attitude" to their sound. Lots of other pickups would be better for what youre trying to do.

One great brand: Nordstrand

Sent from my Droid
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge and no pedals

double or even triple track
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
IMHO new gt12-75s in a new Marshall 4 x 12 sound awful - raspy (mind you so do the other 2 Celestions mentioned)
These are stage speakers. I think you are listening at them at a lower volume. When cranked they start to sound correct.

You describe the sound of the 75 on "1" to a tee. Most people can't play them loud enough most of the time to have a proper opinion.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
-Gibson 498T in either a Les Paul Studio or SG, big gauge of FRESH strings (Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom). Change your strings after every 3-4 songs

-Peavy 5150 through anything Celestion, cranked. Don't use as much gain as you think.
-Double track this amp for the rhythms, use 1 mic on the cab in different spots (421 or sm57)
-Gate the **** out of the guitar on the way in, or edit out all the noise.
-Or skip all that and get a POD and play with the 5150 and Soldano tones with Tube Screamers in front of it.

DI the bass in and make the bass tone carry the beef and grit with Ampeg SVX, use a FRESHLY STRUNG Precision bass with a maple neck or Jazz Bass. Pick hard, properly, and close to the bridge. Change the strings every 3-4 songs, maybe less.

This gets you exactly what you want.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the responses!
@SabreChris--- I appreciate the mic suggestions and i will defiantly be looking those up!

@NathanEldred--- I'm having trouble answering that question i think mainly i want really tight heavey Bass sounds that would be comparable to the 'Wall of Sound' but the lead riffs will mainly consist of single notes on the higher strings. for a reference of the leads i like to try to achieve

@sam guaiana--- could you clarify about gating a bit more? Changing strings is something i have never thought about doing that frequently because of the way they detune and how quick it can happen, but would you say it makes a major difference in quality?

@Blast9 you're refering to an EQ pedal do you have a specific model in mind?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabced ➡️
@sam guaiana--- could you clarify about gating a bit more? Changing strings is something i have never thought about doing that frequently because of the way they detune and how quick it can happen, but would you say it makes a major difference in quality?
With all the **** I was talking about, you're bound to get some noise, so a good gate can take care of that, play around with the settings to get the attack and the release the way you like it. Watch ring outs cause the gate will cut them off.

Provided you're properly intonated, changing strings frequently won't be a huge hassle. Always always always always always change strings when recording. Always
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Got an emg 81 in a jackson and a seymour invader in another.

If youre looking for that characterless cleancut and aggressive tone, active/emg is the way to go, definitely.
But since you have good pickups with a rec and a 5150, the tone should already be there, its just about the tweaking.

Changing strings every 3-4 songs, omg... Its not a classical guitar virtuoso piece at the met. You can still have that basic post hardcore tone with 2mths old strings, itll just be a tiny bit duller.

Only if youre having problems with definition, separation and clarity in fast riffs and breakdowns, then i recommend an 81 otherwise stick to what youve got.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocke ➡️
Got an emg 81 in a jackson and a seymour invader in another.

If youre looking for that characterless cleancut and aggressive tone, active/emg is the way to go, definitely.
But since you have good pickups with a rec and a 5150, the tone should already be there, its just about the tweaking.

Changing strings every 3-4 songs, omg... Its not a classical guitar virtuoso piece at the met. You can still have that basic post hardcore tone with 2mths old strings, itll just be a tiny bit duller.

Only if youre having problems with definition, separation and clarity in fast riffs and breakdowns, then i recommend an 81 otherwise stick to what youve got.
Considering the tuning, the desired attack in the tone, and the fact that there's probably money spent in other gear, does it really put you out that much to buy 4-5 packs of strings to do an album? That's like buying a new car and putting used tires on it.

Call me old fashioned, but I like consistency and if it's the difference between it being clear or it being a tiny bit duller, then I'll take the former.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
yes with the money ive already thrown towards all the gear; the 5150,rec,1960a,carvin,gibsonsg,tele etc. i think i will buy those strings to help the tone out thanks for the advice!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Graphic EQ: The modded ones I've read about are Boss GE7

MXR are always worth looking at (EVH used to use a 10 band I believe)
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
If you follow what sam guaiana said and you have him mix it, your results will most likely be even better than the example you posted. Of course given you guys can play your instruments and you have a good singer!
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Graphic EQ: The modded ones I've read about are Boss GE7

MXR are always worth looking at (EVH used to use a 10 band I believe)
I currently have a standard GE-7 should i just run this through my fx? if so do you have any reccomended settings for it as well?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well... we were talking about "tightening up your tone" if it needs it.

Bearing in mind the Recto has loads of bass on tap, you might find the bottom end is a bit loose/flabby...

And bearing in mind the Tube Screamer basically has a bass cut (i.e. acts a bit like a treble booster), you could try it going in the front end >>> cut the lows a bit, and use the level slider to boost the input if you need to hit the front end harder.

TBH you probably don't need to do this, but give it a try

You can really shape the character of the preamp distortion with a graphic EQ... try out a few settings - maybe cut the highs a bit too

as far as the FX loop, bear in mind it might be a line level signal, so the pedal may not work best there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iglesias ➡️
If you follow what sam guaiana said and you have him mix it, your results will most likely be even better than the example you posted. Of course given you guys can play your instruments and you have a good singer!
D'awwhhhhhh shucks

@nabced: My only concern with tracking with an EQ or a sonic maximizer, or anything that can drastically change tones on the way in, is that you're sort of stuck with that afterward, and boosting stuff already cut can be a nightmare. Plus I equate EQ pedals, the sonic maximizer, and any mesa recto to be bedroom tone. That means it sounds awesome when you're jamming out and on your own, but won't hold its own live or on a recording.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana ➡️
D'awwhhhhhh shucks

@nabced: My only concern with tracking with an EQ or a sonic maximizer, or anything that can drastically change tones on the way in, is that you're sort of stuck with that afterward, and boosting stuff already cut can be a nightmare. Plus I equate EQ pedals, the sonic maximizer, and any mesa recto to be bedroom tone. That means it sounds awesome when you're jamming out and on your own, but won't hold its own live or on a recording.
ok so are you saying that running the EQ in front of my mesa now might sound good but ultimately its going to make it harder to record with and also wont sound to great when its live??
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not sure I understand the question. A Gibson SG through a Mesa Rectifier is the quintessential pop-punk tone, and your tuning will get you to easycore. I guess I just don't understand what you think you're missing.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@nabced yes. You spend thousands on a crazy amp with awesome tone, only to throw a $100 pedal in front of it, not worth it in my eyes. The right pickup, gauge of and freshness of strings, amp and cab combo are keys to tone. Actually even your playing technique and pick thickness are important. Cause with any recording it's 80% performance

@inverted314 it is live when you're sponsored by Mesa (blink/fob etc...) but those guys don't even touch those amps in studios.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
@inverted314 it is live when you're sponsored by Mesa (blink/fob etc...) but those guys don't even touch those amps in studios.
I'm a hugeeeeee indie pop-punk fan. Seen tons of bands who use Mesa. I prefer a Rockerverb but that's me.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
@nabced yes. You spend thousands on a crazy amp with awesome tone, only to throw a $100 pedal in front of it, not worth it in my eyes. The right pickup, gauge of and freshness of strings, amp and cab combo are keys to tone. Actually even your playing technique and pick thickness are important. Cause with any recording it's 80% performance
NB just to be clear, I was referring to a modded Boss GE-7 - Better clarity and lower noise apparently.

-

Pretty much agree with all you said but there are many players who rely on cheap stomp boxes as an integral part of "their tone" into expensive amps.

Don't forget the most critical part of the guitar >>> amp tonality is correct impedance relationship.

So long as the pedal has high impedance input (typically 1M ohm) and low impedance output you're gonna get the best frequency response/most lively tone.

Prince springs to mind - a long-time user Boss pedals >>> an Mesa amp or a super expensive Soldano/Caswell preamp

...and of course EVH.

I know of many producers or guitarists with 5150 amps that use a tube screamer in front of the amp to tighten up the bottom end, and change the character to the mids, not to add gain per se.

It is a crazy world indeed!
📝 Reply