Quantcast
Custom 2x12 Cabinet - Advice, Help, Suggestions? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Custom 2x12 Cabinet - Advice, Help, Suggestions?
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Custom 2x12 Cabinet - Advice, Help, Suggestions?

Hello, Long time reader/student of the forum, first time posting. I've learned so much about studio recording and equipment that I've never actually needed to post a question... until now!

There seems to be a lack of info about Guitar Cabs, somewhat in general but especially with regards to custom cab boxes and which speaker brands and models work well together in combination for certain sounds you wish to emphasize - based on the amp(head), guitar, and style of music.. Maybe its because alot of studio technicians don't want to spend money on a studio-specific guitar rig, and especially because each guitarist often brings their own rig/set-up and has their own unique style and musical genre..

So... I've been looking at creating a custom 2x12 cab primarily for studio use only (at least for this thread and my current needs for the equipment) and I've got some ideas to go on, but haven't found any real, tried-and-true advice from guitarists, or engineers who focus on recording electric guitar. I will be recording a PRS Custom 24 Electric Guitar (probably stock pickups, but maybe the option of switching pickups for some better ones) --> through most likely either an Orange Rockverb 50 Watt or maybe a Marshall JCM 800 or something equivalent, any advice would be helpful as well as far as which Heads work best for the type of music I will be recording which is going to be a mixture of pure clean as well as spacial, even ambient reverb and delays, but also at times will need to handle high gain, distortion, crunchy, and even brutal metal tones (much less often than the clean tones in general however). Because this is on high end, I would also like advice on if I would need to get 2 seperate cabs or even heads, if anyone has a suggestion, or just getting a very versatile 2x12 and choose the absolute best speaker combination for achieving both a brilliant clean tone and occassionally a great distorted sound or crunch.

As far as custom cab boxes, does anyone know or have good experience with any cab company that might come close to the quality or even better than an "unloaded" Orange PPC 212 cab box? The brands I've found are: Avatar, Electric Amps, Mojotone, Whitebox, and Zilla Cabs, I've also heard Egnater and Bogner are good cabinets (But come loaded with V30's just like alot of other high end cabs).

As far as speakers, this is where the conversation turns largely to opinion and speculation and maybe a lack of AB comparisons, but none-the-less, I won't have the option to try 50 + custom configurations of speakers so any advice will be appreciated - Main Brands I've looked into: Celestion, Scumback, Eminence.. And before anyone says, "Just get an Orange Cab, it comes with V30's stock and they are the BEST speakers ever.." I already know that is one train of thought, but I'm searching for a distinctive and custom sound that I don't think on any soundtests/recordings I've heard, that I've really been that impressed with the Celestion V30's.. so I'm interested in hearing second opinions. Speakers I've been most interested in (but with limited knowledge or Guitar playing skills or much to go on besides reviews):

Celestion -
G12M (Greenbacks)
G12T-75
Blues
G12H (75 or 55?)

Scumback -
M75 (55?)
J75 (55?)
H75 (55?)

Eminence -
??? I have really no knowledge of these, ran across a few different forum sites saying they were top-quality speakers.. I haven't heard any definitive sound tests of any of these speakers.

Thanks for reading this post, I know this isn't the absolute best site for asking about Guitar Rigs, but I think its a valid discussion for studio engineers just to have some kind of idea and experience with Guitar rigs and set-ups so that if some lousy or inexperienced guitar player ends up in your studio with a 25W Low-end Peavy Amp hooked up to a 4x12 MESA Cabinet and wants to record the Blues, you can tell them that they probably are not going to achieve the sound they are really looking for..
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Search craigslist. Buy used. Great cabs come up all the time where people don't want to pay for shipping. Deals are out there in spades.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I haven't used them, but if you check through threads on The Gear Page, cabs from Stone Age seem to be the ones to beat.

My dream is to own one of their 2x12's. And not all that expensive, all things considered.

https://www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com/page7.html
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I think you are looking for a good Allrounder ! From clean to heavy Rocksounds ( if it should be a 2x12 cab ) for me the best of two worlds is a Bluesbreaker Cab, because this Cabs are larger then Standard 2x12 Cabs and has more punch and air and somtimes they are sounding like a 4x12 Cab!
My favorite speakers are the Scumback S75 and Celestion Greenback.
But for really modern Metalsounds ( Thrash, ect. ) the Celestion V30 is the first choice in the most Cabs. ( BTW I don't like it )
If you prefer general a little more softer sounding Cab especially for Crunch and Overdrive,the Eminence Legend GB 128 is a fantastic option ! ( but the Cleansounds are not so sparkling like the Scum-or Greenback ! )
Maybe you should calculate two 2x12 Cabs

Greets
b.e.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison ➑️
I haven't used them, but if you check through threads on The Gear Page, cabs from Stone Age seem to be the ones to beat.

My dream is to own one of their 2x12's. And not all that expensive, all things considered.

https://www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com/page7.html
Thanks Ben, I hadn't seen these, they look very nice as well, and not too pricey will have to search more into it. I also found these cabs, but almost no one is talking about them on slutz or really anywhere else on the web, they are relatively new, and look really awesome, but I'm still waiting for an email reply from someone at the company Janice Cabs | Custom Guitar and Bass Cabinets

Also, I've been looking more into eminence, they seem pretty solid and at least a few have caught my ears, the Cannabis Rex and the Tonespotter seemed interesting, good clean tones at least, and the Governor and Red Fang seem more versatile, I really am considering the Cannabis Rex at this point, have seen them compared to Celestion Blues, but better and less expensive.. I'm more considering two seperate cabs at this point and possibly 4 different speakers or 2 combinations of two..

So, I should maybe change this to just finding the best options for a super solid, warm full clarity and nice clean 2x12 cab.. If anyone has ideas about just specifically great cab/speaker/amp(head) combinations, I'm all ears!
Old 8th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Bit late but you can't go wrong with Eminence speakers Really great build quality and can take one hell of a beating and still produce great sounds.
Old 8th March 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The problem with recommending speakers is that you really have to match the speaker to the cab/amp/guitar/effects/style of music. Change one variable, and you might be looking at a whole different speaker. It's easiest to suggest a particular speaker if you have a few speakers you've tried and can point to them and say "I like this about speaker X but don't like that. Also speaker Y is great for this, but it doesn't do this well". With a frame of reference, it's a lot easier to make an accurate recommendation. Otherwise, we'll just post whatever speaker we've personally used and felt fit our cab/amp/guitar/effects/style of music best. And if you're doing the same cab/amp/guitar/effects/style of music, then stop! Get your own sound and quit copying off of me!
πŸ“ Reply