Quantcast
Lots of hiss when chaining guitar pedals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lots of hiss when chaining guitar pedals
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Lots of hiss when chaining guitar pedals

I have 3 brand new pedals (TC Flashback, WMD, EHX Freeze) and they don't make any noise when used individually. But if I chain any combination of 2 or more together, the result is pretty noisy and hissy.

FWIW, I'm using a single power supply to power the first pedal, then one of those multi-cables that plugs into each pedal.

Do I need some kind of noise-suppressor pedal at the end of the chain to clean up the signal? Is there a chance the (old, cheap) short pedal cables in between pedals are teh culprits? I live in a small town and don't have a good music store to test different equipment.

Any tips for a newb would be great...
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

I've noticed the flashback is noisey depending on the way you power it. I would first try running them all with batteries. If the is no noise then you know it's the power. I would then try to run all pedals on the same power. The best option is to use something like the voodoo labs pedal power supply. It has isolated transformers on it to keep your signal clean.

Try a different outlet. Make sure all your power supplies are hooked up to the same outlet.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deern ➡️
Is there a chance the (old, cheap) short pedal cables in between pedals are teh culprits?
Yes. plus the above post.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
If power is the issue, it's worth investing in a good PSU. They cost the price of a nice pedal themselves but can power a good amount of pedals which means you're set for a while. It's worth looking at systems that intergrate well with other things too. For instance, I use a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power (Actually 3 of them). I also use a Pedaltrain pedalbaord and they sell brackets to mount the Voodoo Labs PSUs under the board, out of the way which I think is a fantastic feature.

Before you pay for a good PSU and you're only using a few pedals, it's worth investigating to see if power is the issue though
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dont know your pedals, but a FUZZ can make everything that follows sound completely different as your used to. daisy chaining has it effects but not what your describing imho.

hope that helps ?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…