Quantcast
Thinking about the Eleven rack - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thinking about the Eleven rack
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thinking about the Eleven rack

Hi everybody, I´m thinking to get an amp modeller for fast ideas recording.

I need:
- Sound acceptable good
- Portable with my laptop
- Compatible with protools

My first idea was purchase an old pod pro plus a mbox 1. But I see that there is an option with the eleven rack to have an amp modeller plus a sound card, working in a stand alone mode or working with protools.

So my question is how good is the eleven rack for that purposes.

Best wishes for all
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
11r has hit or miss tones. Some love it, others hate it. I have one and it doesn't get too much use these days. Just for laying down a guide track here or there. I will say that if you do like it, you get a killer deal as you get all the features of the rack unit and a full copy (Not a light version) of pro tools 10.

Look at the price difference
Eleven Rack - £700 (roughly)
Pro Tools 10 - £460 (roughly)

It's like getting the Eleven Rack for £240 which is a steal.

Saying that. It's only worth it if you actually like the Eleven Rack and only your ears can really tell you if you do. I was in love with mine when I first got it but now I have a KPA and that gets a lot more attention these days. I'll still keep my Eleven though as it's sometimes useful for some things.

The biggest downside is that if you don't want to use pro-tools, you can't use the editor as it's pro tools only. You can still record in standalone, but it's not quite the same as having full control
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I don´t really need a huge amp tone, only for track references.

So the protools that becomes with the Eleven rack is the completely version of the protools LE???

Is it better to get a mbox plus a pod pro???
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Maniac

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
It's not pro-tools LE. It's full on pro tools 10. The version that you'd pay £460 for in the shops. The POD vs 11r debate is something only you can decide on after hearing them, although for me, based on specs and features alone, the 11r wins purely because of the pro-tools bundle. The POD probably has the 11r beat on sound though IMO. But that's not the say that either are bad compared to what was around 5 or so years ago.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
OMG I didn´t know that it becomes with the protools 10, I think that it becomes with a LE version
Old 19th January 2013
GS Community Manager

There is no such thing as Pro Tools LE - since v9. If it includes PT10 then it's the 'full version.'
Old 19th January 2013
Deleted User
Yeah, but there is still a PT HD version and you don't get that. So, don't expect the full on PT product.
Old 19th January 2013
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks ➡️
Yeah, but there is still a PT HD version and you don't get that. So, don't expect the full on PT product.
That's a different story entirely.

With the Complete Production Toolkit you can have all the functionality of PTHD with PT10 except for AAX DSP support.

PT10 is far less crippled than the LE versions of yore.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think for your purposes the Eleven Rack would be the best option. However, what do you consider "portable?" The Eleven Rack is a 2 rack space unit, which is certainly portable, but it won't fit in your pocket either.

The Eleven Rack does come with full fledged Pro Tools 10. At the current price its one of the best deals you'll find on the gear market.
Old 20th January 2013
Deleted User
Is the Eleven going EOL at this point? That's a pretty strong sale - you can look at it like your either getting PT or the Eleven for free (US pricing) with the free plugs in there. They're not usually that generous. I'd probably buy it if I didn't already have a Line6 DI, GTR, Guitar Rig, etc. that I've accumulated over the years. Each has its own strength and weakness.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wanted to hate it..... can't. Sounds better than a crapy amp, effects are awesome, and can be used plugged right into your amp. Can also be used as a awesome hardware effects unit.

Buy it.

ps did a "rush job" song for a guy the other day, sent it to another guy to listen to. He replied he really liked the guitar tone..... My usual axe was out of commission that day. it hurt a little to tell him it was a $70 Squire strat..... I did not have the heart to tell him it was the Eleven Rack for the amp.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Well about the portability, I know that there is a two rack spaces, but my other option was a mbox 2 pro plus the pod pro, so there are two things to travel with, instead of one (11R)

So as far as I understand, the 11R is a good value, but it is not the best value, so I think that I need to check one of these modeled amps and think if it has the quality I really need.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the Eleven rack. I can get most any tone I want. Check out a couple of tunes with eleven rack only on my soundcloud.

It Doesn't Matter, Holidays, and Till I Get Satisfied all three are my Strat and PRS thru the eleven rack.....even the bass on those tunes is Eleven rack.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
How could anyone claim pod HD is even as good as eleven rack modeling, let alone better?

Eleven rack has only two real competitors still for production quality recording in real studios: kemper and axe fx. Both are more versatile but cost WAY more than eleven, and eleven rack has just as good touch sensitivity and recording tones a proven repeatedly by the number of sessions done with 11r where listeners are blown away with the amp tone.

Peavey used to have industry leading modeling too... Just ask Devin Townsend... But they messed up their marketing and business sides.

Pod HD is great BUT not in the same league.

Pod is excellent affordable stuff.

Eleven rack was engineered and developed to be the best in the industry.

For the price it's a no brainer.

I use 11 rack for my session work and have only received acclaim for my tones.

Nothing is throw away if composing with 11r. It's straight to the mixing desk quality stuff.

Pod HD? Can go to desk, but still fizzy and compressed to my ears, although I like a couple of the more aggressive models in the HD boxes.

Playing my.11r is INSPIRING though. And release quality after proper mixing.

It IS a big box though...

Don

Sent from my SGH-I717D
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes I really like my Eleven Rack. I'm a long time Cubase user so the Pro Tools bonus was no use to me.
All the in's and out's are fantastic.
I have mine connected to my Eventide DSP700 via Spdif, and can get some really great sounds. And I should mention that I can't play guitar to save my life.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Well Dkelley there are many many people who think Pod Hd sounds better then Eleven
Its their opinon yours is different
I bet i dont like your kind of music and you most likely dont like my kind of music.
I also believe i not like the same Tube amps you like
Or maybe not the guitar sound your after when you tweak your Eleven.
And i bet you dont like the sound i am after when i tweak my Pod.
I also think you dont like the way i setup my guitars i am pretty sure i cant play on the ones you setup.
It all has to do with taste.
It's the same with that monitor and DAW war that is going on in here whst is it whit people in here?
I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case in the beginning of electric music making.
You took what you could get and what you liked and make the best out of what you had.
No arguing about if i had this or that amp/guitar/bass/drums/mic i would sound better.
I can tell you that i have played thrue many amp sims and thrue many tube amps and even sheap 10 w solid state amps i still sound like ME
And i can sound pretty descent on almost anything you throw at me.
But i choose to play on what i think sounds best
Not what anyone else say is best.
Thats why ACDC play Marshall and use SG/Gretch and Metallica use ESP with EMG and Mesas.
Why dont they use the same gear?
Can you get it?
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
As far as I know the first 11r becomes with the Protools 8 LE DVD, but does anybody knows if there was other software plugins (of third party) or extras with the 11r. Is there a software bundle???
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrecords ➡️
As far as I know the first 11r becomes with the Protools 8 LE DVD, but does anybody knows if there was other software plugins (of third party) or extras with the 11r. Is there a software bundle???
The current special PT10 + extra plugs: Avid Eleven Rack | Sweetwater.com

Every other retailer would probably have the same. Minimal search required.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi everybody, I´m thinking to get an amp modeller for fast ideas recording.

I need:
- Sound acceptable good
- Portable with my laptop
- Compatible with protools

My first idea was purchase an old pod pro plus a mbox 1. But I see that there is an option with the eleven rack to have an amp modeller plus a sound card, working in a stand alone mode or working with protools.

So my question is how good is the eleven rack for that purposes.

Best wishes for all
So, you want to get the hardware unit? Isn't it 2 rack spaces, so that's going to affect portability.

Have you considered just a small interface (MBox mini, for example), and then just use amp modeling plugins?

There are a bunch out there, if you doing mind doing everything in the box. Of course, there's going to be a little latency this way, but many people don't mind it.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaniac64 ➡️
Well Dkelley there are many many people who think Pod Hd sounds better then Eleven
Its their opinon yours is different
I bet i dont like your kind of music and you most likely dont like my kind of music.
I also believe i not like the same Tube amps you like
Or maybe not the guitar sound your after when you tweak your Eleven.
And i bet you dont like the sound i am after when i tweak my Pod.
I also think you dont like the way i setup my guitars i am pretty sure i cant play on the ones you setup.
It all has to do with taste.
It's the same with that monitor and DAW war that is going on in here whst is it whit people in here?
I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case in the beginning of electric music making.
You took what you could get and what you liked and make the best out of what you had.
No arguing about if i had this or that amp/guitar/bass/drums/mic i would sound better.
I can tell you that i have played thrue many amp sims and thrue many tube amps and even sheap 10 w solid state amps i still sound like ME
And i can sound pretty descent on almost anything you throw at me.
But i choose to play on what i think sounds best
Not what anyone else say is best.
Thats why ACDC play Marshall and use SG/Gretch and Metallica use ESP with EMG and Mesas.
Why dont they use the same gear?
Can you get it?
:-)

What I said had nothing to do with taste our preference. Pod HD isn't as accurate at modeling amps overall versus 11r. There are some good ones in there but there isn't thesame consistency across the models... Sine are better than others in the HD.

It's not a criticism of the pod HD. It's an observation that even a line 6 development engineer would agree with. There was far more time and money put into the accuracy of models in the eleven rack. The line 6 stuff is pretty good for sure for cheap.

I should add that I've been a professional line 6 performer for several years. Eleven was the product that let me improve my recorded sound quality without having to pay for an axe fx.

HD pod is definitely good.... Just not good enough for the album recording gigs I get paid to play. Pod is good enough for AD spots and so on. I even used an xt live and Variax 300 when I played the guitar solo in rock around the clock for the sound track to the movie Bruce Lee, my brother. So I like pods too.

Cheers.

Sent from my SGH-I717D
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Have you considered just a small interface (MBox mini, for example), and then just use amp modeling plugins?
well, with portability I don´t mean a so little thing. I mean that I prefer a 2 rack all in one, that travelling with a huge rack amp. The 2 spaces is not a real problem to me
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
well, with portability I don´t mean a so little thing. I mean that I prefer a 2 rack all in one, that travelling with a huge rack amp. The 2 spaces is not a real problem to me

I see. Then the Eleven might be good choice. I've heard the plugin versions of some of the sounds (came with Pro Tools), and thought they were pretty good.

From what I've read the Eleven Rack has a lot of flexibility and a nice feature set when combined with PT.

Let us know what you decide and how you liked it!
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley ➡️
:-)

What I said had nothing to do with taste our preference. Pod HD isn't as accurate at modeling amps overall versus 11r. There are some good ones in there but there isn't thesame consistency across the models... Sine are better than others in the HD.

It's not a criticism of the pod HD. It's an observation that even a line 6 development engineer would agree with. There was far more time and money put into the accuracy of models in the eleven rack. The line 6 stuff is pretty good for sure for cheap.

I should add that I've been a professional line 6 performer for several years. Eleven was the product that let me improve my recorded sound quality without having to pay for an axe fx.

HD pod is definitely good.... Just not good enough for the album recording gigs I get paid to play. Pod is good enough for AD spots and so on. I even used an xt live and Variax 300 when I played the guitar solo in rock around the clock for the sound track to the movie Bruce Lee, my brother. So I like pods too.

Cheers.

Sent from my SGH-I717D

Well i read this topic where someone even compared the POD HD with Axe FX

Line 6 POD HD500 Savior Of The Poor Guitar Masses | Home Recording Blog

So no matter how you hear things it´s not the same for every listener is it?

Why in the hell would there be such debate over this and that otherwise just go to the Axe vs Kemeper discussion?

So yeah it is about taste and how YOU hear things.

I for instance cant stand the fact that some people like Guitar RIG
To my ears there models sounds crap compared to Amplitube or POD Farm or
Revalver but still some people think they accurate expalin that if you can?

I cant say which one is better than the others in the modelling area of those emulation that is availible nowadays
But the new Marshall JMP Plexi emulation on the POD HD is one of the best i heard so far.

On the other hand i dont like the Fender models so much they´re not so good as on other products but i think some people still prefer them over other emulations.

What i can say is that nowadays the emulation is damn good compare to the first try they did in the last three decades i remember when they first came out they sounden nothing like a tube amp and where all like a bee swarm still some people used them.

So no matter howe you put it someone would say that AXE is better or someone would say that Eleven is better than POD or some say Guitar RIG is best it´s all about how YOU hear it.

To my ears and many many more ears even people who write for magazines is the new POD HD up there with Eleven nowadays the old XT was not there.

So yeah its about taste it´s about what YOU hear in your head not what i or anybode else hear as i and them most likely hear it different.

On real tube amps i cant for my life stand the sound of those VOX AC30 amps they sound like crap to me still there is a whole bunch of people who really like them and would not use anything else.

It´s the same with guitars i dont like the sound of EMG:s still many people prefer them over passive pickups.

It´s all about how YOU hear it not that anything is better than the others hell i even read people saying they think there old korg pedal is sounding better than POD and even the Berhinger clone some people even think it IS called Pod.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
To say a piece of gear isn't "pro worthy or worthy enough to be on a full album" while people are specifically doing just that, is plain stupid. The new pods are plenty good enough, maybe you just haven't had enough time to get the sounds out of it you wanted or don't know how.
Old 25th January 2013
Deleted d44e7f2
Honestly. If you're only laying down ideas and scratch tracks you could use the free SansAmp plugin that comes with Pro Tools and grab whatever interface you want. Its not the best sounding however its the quickest little solution a lot of times when I'm making scratch tracks. I just spent a day making a couple of settings and just play through it when something quick needs to be done.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Honestly. If you're only laying down ideas and scratch tracks you could use the free SansAmp plugin that comes with Pro Tools and grab whatever interface you want. Its not the best sounding however its the quickest little solution a lot of times when I'm making scratch tracks. I just spent a day making a couple of settings and just play through it when something quick needs to be done.
Well it is not only for quick ideas, is for preproduction and record some tracks for arragements of friends. I don´t need a dual rectifier but I need more quality than just only a plugin
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why not stick with a POD XT or something really affordable? I've never liked anything Avid and the Eleven Rack is certainly no exception. Modeling is modeling imo and the Pod has some very usable sounds, especially when they're laid down with the intent of doing them over
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why not stick with a POD XT
One of my options is to get a pod x3 plus de mbox 1
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner ➡️
I've never liked anything Avid and the Eleven Rack is certainly no exception.
Why a blanket dislike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner ➡️
Modeling is modeling imo and the Pod has some very usable sounds, especially when they're laid down with the intent of doing them over

That's just not right. Fortunately we have developers that do better than others. Better software EQ's, reverbs, modeling, etc.

I own a POD HD and the Eleven Rack. There is definitely a difference. The Eleven is more accurate. But I like the POD too. I would only by the Eleven if you are interested in PT because then it's a value and PT is the only DAW the Eleven rack has computer interface with.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There is definitely a difference. The Eleven is more accurate
Really???
📝 Reply