Quantcast
Wiring Questions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wiring Questions
Old 25th September 2012
Wiring Questions

These are a few fairly noobish questions, but everyone here has always been gracious enough to share their knowledge and wisdom freely, so I thought I'd ask.

I am rewiring my strat at the moment, using a wiring diagram from the Seymour Duncan website.

Wiring Diagram

Its just a standard HSS 5-way 1Vol 2Tone setup; nothing special. However I noticed that the placement of the capacitor on the diagram differed from the way mine was set up stock. Mine had the cap at the second tone pot instead of the first.

Does it matter which tone pot has the cap? Or as long as its in the circuit, it affects both equally?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I am having an issue with the volume pot as well. I have it wired correctly, but it wasnt cutting the signal... I tried reheating all the connections, and the signal cut, and the pot was working correctly...... for about 20 seconds, until the solder point cooled down, then it stopped working again.

I am assuming something is bad in the pot and I will be buying one today on my lunch break. Im thinking about switching to a 500k pot to brighten things up in my humbucker a bit. But does my diagnosis seem correct?
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Traditionally, the tone cap is located on the 1st tone pot (middle knob). If I remember correctly, the cap is wired in series across both tone controls so placement shouldn't matter.

500k is a good standard value to bleed less highs to ground when compared to a 250k. You'll notice a difference.

As far as your diagnosis of a bad pot - it's hard to say since I don't know what you mean when you say the signal cuts. Does the pot behave like an on/off switch? Do you get any change in volume at all?

Either way - pots are cheap. If you've got 4-lead humbucker in the bridge I'd look at a push-pull pot for the volume to wire in a coil split. Don't lose that spanky single-coil strat bridge!
Old 26th September 2012
Thanks!

When I was having the pot problem, It wasnt even changing the volume.
I replaced it for 2 bucks and it is working fine now!
Old 26th September 2012
And thanks about the Cap answer. I assumed that was the case, but I wanted a more informed opinion.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…