Quantcast
The B-string problem - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The B-string problem
Old 9th November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I find that stringing using the over under technique helps prevent any slipping.

On the first wind let the string go over the top of the end of the string and the rest of the wind's go underneath the loose end.
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
Never tune down, always tune up. If you go too far drop the string noticeably flat and try again. If you try to tune down your guitar will never stay in tune.
So you're saying if your tuner is reading that your sharp on any string you should loosen until its flat and then tune up? Ie never try to reach by loosening the string?
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VibeSound ➡️
I find that stringing using the over under technique helps prevent any slipping.

On the first wind let the string go over the top of the end of the string and the rest of the wind's go underneath the loose end.
I've always found having each wind in contact with the peg gives me the most stability, when they cross or aren't wound neatly i get slippage...
Old 9th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Never tune down, always tune up. If you go too far drop the string noticeably flat and try again. If you try to tune down your guitar will never stay in tune.
There's a fair bit of practical wisdom there. Guitars vary, some hold well, some slip easily, but I've done better, overall, since I adopted this modest tactic for the most part. I think it particularly helps when the tuning gears are loose/worn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VibeSound ➡️

This makes a certain sense and I realize that I've been doing it for many years without having a good rationale -- but that fits the bill. It only makes sense not to fight the natural tendency of the string/wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➡️
I've always found having each wind in contact with the peg gives me the most stability, when they cross or aren't wound neatly i get slippage...
This, absolutely! Single biggest difference in my (unfortunately) long process* of learning how to string a guitar in the most trouble free manner. A neat, orderly wind with no twists, crossovers, etc, is crucial to sane tuning.

* I was not the quickest study. It took me a couple sets of strings just to figure out that I should wind all my strings the same way. heh
Old 9th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➡️
There's a fair bit of practical wisdom there. Guitars vary, some hold well, some slip easily, but I've done better, overall, since I adopted this modest tactic for the most part. I think it particularly helps when the tuning gears are loose/worn.

This makes a certain sense and I realize that I've been doing it for many years without having a good rationale -- but that fits the bill. It only makes sense not to fight the natural tendency of the string/wind.

This, absolutely! Single biggest difference in my (unfortunately) long process* of learning how to string a guitar in the most trouble free manner. A neat, orderly wind with no twists, crossovers, etc, is crucial to sane tuning.

* I was not the quickest study. It took me a couple sets of strings just to figure out that I should wind all my strings the same way. heh
as someone who has played for over 15 years i thought i knew how to string a guitar but when i started doing these following things its night and day

strings all get the same amount of wind length (three fingers past the the respective peg)

string wind always touching the peg and wound uniformly and tightly

properly stretching strings to where they barely change in pitch - ie first stretch puts them 2 tones out, second stretch 1 tone out - eventually its barely going out at all - that's generally the point- takes 3 -4 big stretch and retunings

I'll have to dig out the excellent youtube vid that I got all this from

I'm going to try the graphite trick as I think other than reviewing my guitars intonation I've done all I can (i wont use locking nuts, not sure why)
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Follow this picture and shoot for 3 windings on the post max with at LEAST 1 and a half AFTER the string locks against itself. The extra length you need to leave for winding around the post is going to be different for each string gauge so it may take a couple restrings before you get it just right.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2vis7is.jpg

And take a mechanical pencil and color the nut on the guitar until it's black and has pencil lead piled up on it... color the wound strings as well where they cross the nut. This will solve most tuning issues related to post slippage or nut friction. I used to be able to wail on the whammy bar pretty hard on my strat and only have minor tuning issues. Also have a Gibson SGX that NEVER (and I mean NEVER) stayed in tune for more than 5 minutes... since the pencil lead trick I have never had tuning issues with it.

EDIT: DOH! Someone already mentioned the graphite trick (that's what pencil lead is after all) Oh well +1 for that working well

Last edited by DCT3; 15th November 2012 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: DOH!
Old 16th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➡️
So you're saying if your tuner is reading that your sharp on any string you should loosen until its flat and then tune up? Ie never try to reach by loosening the string?
Yes. I'm speaking as a former professional touring guitar tech. Always tune UP, never tune down.
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes. I'm speaking as a former professional touring guitar tech. Always tune UP, never tune down.
Excellent thanks, been ensuring i do this since you mentioned it and its helped... Graphite next but already noticing greater stability on higher strings
Old 21st November 2012
Gear Nut

Low E is hardest to tune on my clip-on tuners.

"B" doesn't go out of tune more than others. But I don't bend it much.
📝 Reply