Fulltone Clyde Standard vs Deluxe Wah? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fulltone Clyde Standard vs Deluxe Wah?
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Fulltone Clyde Standard vs Deluxe Wah?

Is it worth the extra $50 or so to have the switchable modes as well as an input volume control? I'm looking to replace a long since sold Dunlop Crybaby. The thing I never liked about that is the sweep wasn't long enough and the voice was not nasally enough. I've heard enough demos to realize the Fulltones will get me to where i need to go but the question is should i go beyond with the wacked and shaft modes? Although there are times when i'll do the Cream/Led Zeppelin thing with a wah it would only be for comic relief if I were to imitate a 70's police/crime drama soundtrack. Often times I only want the wah to be a filter to dial a cut through the mix.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I thought about it and stayed with the standard Fulltone Clyde, because what I wanted was that vintage wah. Way back when I had a fancy TYCOBRAHE pedal that did a bunch of stuff..... which I used a few times, but pretty much was a waste. Features we don't end up using are wasted money. If you'll actually get some use from it all, $50 won't break the bank.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
depends upon whose bank..Ha! I know what you're saying...I've never had a wah with knobs sticking out the side...I wonder if they ever get wah wah'd off?

Gearmandude gives a good demo of the standard Clyde and a the standard Dunlop CryBaby...very honest review. I know the Clyde has a wider sweep but I think I can get used to that..it's the bad voice and limited range of the Cry Baby that made me cry...I was Led Zeppelin II or Physical G and my Cry Baby was basically a foot rest. Another consideration is how desperate places like Musician Friend are with sale after sale...$200 wah sometimes turns into $170 or less...again depends upon whose bank you're talking about! :P
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Got the standard, love it...
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Teese RMC3 Wahs are the last word in tweakable wahs. You can get just about any vintage sound out of them as well as some pretty modern variations.

The Clyde never did anything for me. I like some of Fuller's pedals, but his wah doesn't have much personality or vibe to it.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I replaced my early Vox wahs (they finally died) with a Clyde. I've got the Deluxe and I like the extra tone options.

The thing is built like a tank. I think the only way I would be able to break those knobs is... if I hit it with a hammer.

Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've got a GCB-95 "Original" Crybaby wah. As it came, it was kinda shrill and harsh. Oddly enough though, I actually like that for a lot of things, but it can sometimes be a problem. So I modded mine. I added a second inductor and a switch to switch between the two. I also installed a variable Q knob and installed both of those on the side, and installed a LED light to tell me if the wah was on or not. I also did a true bypass mod, but honestly, that was unnecessary. It didn't help the tone out as much.

Anyway, since I have all of these extra knobs and switches on my wah now, I can at least comment on the advantages of having a versatile wah. With the original inductor, I get that shrill, piercing sound the original crybaby's are known for. I use it that way about half the time. It's especially good for wall of sounds type of stuff. With it switched over to the Halo inductor, I get a more vintage and vocal sounding wah. I use this for more classic rock style guitar work. In any case, I find it nice to have options. A lot of my pedals have tons of options that I never use, because I find they produce one sound that is far superior to all their other offerings. But the wah is one of the few that I genuinely tweak throughout a show. It all depends on the song!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…