Quantcast
So I went to compare Fender P-bass to Jazz bass today, but then.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So I went to compare Fender P-bass to Jazz bass today, but then....
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So I went to compare Fender P-bass to Jazz bass today, but then....

So I do not currently play bass, but I want to start. I used to have one and I have dabbled in guitar over the years so I am not a total newb. I produce mostly only my own music in my studio and it's of mostly the retro 80s electronic style, nudisco, electro funk, etc, but with more modern dance production style.

I want to get a bass and I want to start of with something amazing because I can afford it and I do NOT like to buy twice. It will be DId into LA-610 mkii. I did a lot of research and most people say the P-bass is essential for a first bass (especially for disco) and has that classic tone, and then you can build from there as you get better if you feel you need something more/different. I always like the Jazz look better so I went to Guitar center today to compare both American Standard versions.

Both felt nice, like the P a tad more...but....then....

I picked up a Raspberry Sorbet Music Man Stingray...holy ****!!! I do not play yet (but I am not a moron and can play a bit) but am I crazy for thinking that these EAT FENDERS for breakfast!!??? The action just felt SO MUCH BETTER and the neck was so easy to get around. I REALLY fell in love!! It seemed like it sounded better even unplugged and was oozing tone. I also much preferred the maple neck for some reason.

So my question is, Sting Ray Classic 4 for first bass?? Can I get that nice P-bass tone from it? Good for disco styles? Ok to go for maple??
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
A Stingray was my first bass, and I say YES! Fairly versatile if you get the two pickup version. They're known for a big, fat tone.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Those are great instruments and would be a wonderful choice. If it feels right in your hands, don't question it, get it!

But that was the bass that was played by Bernard Edwards of Chic, so you could make a case that a Stingray is the definitive bass of disco. Regardless, if it's good enough for Bernard Edwards, it's probably good enough for me... although I don't own one yet.

I'm Coming Out (Chic Mix) - YouTube
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Any bass will pretty much suit any style, its just down to which one you prefer. There great bass's though.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Stingrays are good basses, sounds like you found what you like. I've only played one briefly, but they have a reputation for being flexible and get a variety of tones.

I would add that sometimes what sounds best solo is not the same as what sits best in a mix, maybe you have to roll off some of the high end to make room for the guitar or vocal for example. Sometimes that's why I think I like P-basses better than J-basses for rock n roll, seem to fit better to my ear.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
J-basses, P-basses, Stingrays, they all sound different, unless you pile up loads of effects. Pick one you like. If you play bass for a longer time you might even own one of each.

BTW, a lot of early day seventies disco tracks were done with P-Bass. Even Bernard Edwards used one of those before switching to using more of a Sting Ray. Some swear by using J--basses for funk and that's fine, too.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For sure, if you pick up a bass and it speaks to you, go for it...a Stingray is a fine bass. I think a lot of bass players end up owning a P bass or J bass at some point as they are so archetypical and such great sounding/playing versatile instruments. I'm a J bass man myself...to me it's a perfect instrument. Of course it's worth trying out lots and lots of them as they do vary quite a bit. A fender from the early 60's can be wildly different to a fender of the 70's, for example. As the saying goes, you may have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your princess.
Old 25th September 2012
GS Community Manager

I'm a P-bass aficionado. 2/3rds of my bass guitars are Fender P-basses.

BUT

Weirdly, every older Stingray I've tried has been a better feeling instrument than every older P-bass.

Not sure if it's just how they were manufactured 20 years ago (comparatively) or if for some reason the Stingrays have just aged better.

(Note that this is just about how they feel/play - not about the tone).

Anyway... not sure if this is important or not, just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It all comes down to what feels right. Having an instrument that you're comfortable with, that inspires your style of playing is, ultimately, the one that's going to sound the best.

There are many, many bass models out there that sound great--especially when you're swimming in the Fender, Music Man or Gibson waters.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I went Lakland in about 2001, and never looked back. Even the Skyline offshore is very nice, but the Chicago-made are amazing. Do yourself a favor and at least check them out.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For the styles you mention, stingray is a great option.
PLEASE bear in mind that if you want to give the P or J a good shot, stay well AWAY from modern production Fenders. I highly reccommend LAKLAND or SADOWSKI

Stingray to me has a bland sound, P has LOADS of character and it's by far my favourite, no other bass can sound as fat and thick and a very distinct mids and highs.
J is the most versatile in my opinion, it can almost do the P SOUND, although not nearly as fat and it has great mid range and highs.

You may want to consider an instrument that can do all 3 sounds (well.. sort of) Lakland makes those as do G&L and a few other brands. PLEASE look outside Guitar Center if you want to buy a descent instrument.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Your reaction to the Stingray is the exact reaction you should have towards a bass or guitar after playing it. Thats how you know its the one. Make sure you get that exact one, because its possible another stingray feels/sounds different. Id call and put a hold on it or go back and get it if you have the money. You can always retun it later if you change your mind.

As for it being the right bass for the style you want, I think the mm basses were used just as much as p-basses in the 70s for disco, funk, r&b. Check out the Brothers Johnson stuff, I think he played a musicman.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks all,

Jesse you sonofa'bitch you are right!!! Got me GASSING big time now for that bass. I was also thinking that SAME thing, that i need THAT one i played. It did something when I picked it up, it was mine I could tell. It felt like somehow I could play that one with so much more skill right off the bat compared to the P- and J bases I tried there (2-3 each.)

Now I just need 1700 dollars HAHA. Thinking to sell slim phatty and my gretsch.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ernie Ball recently issued a Music Man Sterling S.U.B. for $250:

Sterling by Music Man S.U.B. SB4 Bass Guitar | Musician's Friend

Same scale, but smaller body than Stingray, and p/u's are ceramic instead of alnico. But I'm curious how close the tone comes. Will probably check it out tomorrow at GC. Believe it has a satin neck whereas I think the classic Stingrays have quite a glossy one.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
Ernie Ball recently issued a Music Man Sterling S.U.B.
Finally, a bass for D.O.M.s
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's no great secret that Stingray's are great recording basses....

If you want a bass with a little more versatility, take a hard look at the Musicman Sterling, which is essentially a Stingray with a single coil in the front PU position. Gives it a J-Bass tonal option.
Old 17th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
D.O.M.s? I don't get it.

Flea, Bernard Edwards, the Bros. Johnson all funked out on a Music Man. 'Nuff said. The one that stirs something in you is the one, even if it may have tiny limitations or quirks. Love of an instrument makes you play better somehow. Buy one you love and you won't be disappointed.
πŸ“ Reply