Quantcast
Many guitar heads and cabs - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Many guitar heads and cabs
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Many guitar heads and cabs

I've been wondering about this for a while now, but I haven't had any luck figuring out how it works. Anyway like I see a lot of people with many half/full stacks on stage, but i'm not sure how they are coupled or how they are connected. I'm aware that some people just put them up there for props, but at around 4:45 in this video Rig Rundown - Yngwie Malmsteen - YouTube you could see that he has wires going from some heads to others. Another question is how does he use more than one head going into one cabinet. This isn't really important to me, but this has really been bothering me that I can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Looking at the stack closest to the viewer, the top cab is not even plugged in (at least not yet, if at all). I can only guess that they are only using one or two amps and cabs, and the others are backups that are super quickly swappable in case of a tube blowout or whatever.

Only need one or two if doing stereo, but who knows? Maybe the guy actually does run 12 amps at once.

I didn't see any cords going from amp to amp, but it's hard to see. If that were the case, I would guess that they are going preamp out to poweramp in, using one head's preamp with two heads' poweramps.

Those kind of cabs are single input, so only one amp is going to go in one cab. No two heads into a stereo cab here.

But if they are using a lot o heads at once, they could either split the signal after the guitar, or after the pedals, or after the main head preamp, and feed any number of amps/cabs. Lots of ways to do this, but totally unneccessary imo. Well, ok the literal wind and earthquaking feel of 12 amps at once at Malmsteen levels would probably be mindfu**ingblowing and I would never want to go back to one or two cabs ever again.

Btw, there are amps switchers for single cab use available, lots of things you could do. Sorry I don't know for sure how they're setting up, but after you understand the signal path, you can easily surmise the possibilities. Hope this helps, and yes you made me curious as f***. At 3:30 am. I'm hopeless. Jawa says goodnight.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…