Quantcast
How to Determine Which Pedal to Buy! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to Determine Which Pedal to Buy!
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
How to Determine Which Pedal to Buy!

Hello all ! I have a serious problem! So MANY PEDALS AND NOT THE KNOWLEDGE TO KNOW WHICH ONE TO BUY!!!
I have chatted with my local Brick & Motar (Legend Music Manteca Ca)cheap plug!
I have read about boss-Kind of everybodys pedal! Ibanez,Behringer, MXR...The list could go on.
I would like to knowhow most of you on here set up your chain and what was the proving factor and to your purchase in that pedal that you just had to have!
What I am working with is:
Charvel DS 3 w/Humbuckers
Crate 15 watt SS amp(soon to be Blackstar HT 20w)
Johnson J Station(old) w/J-Edit
1 Behringer TM300
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
A couple of things.

First, at the level of equipment you are showing, you have a J Station. The j Station contains multiple effects. If you don't like the ones in the J Station, what are you looking for?

Second, I personally look for effects to help me to sound like me, like I want to sound, to promote the vision that I have about me. You might have a different goal, you might need to sound like others to fit into a cover band or whatever.

salesmen want to sell stuff to you. But what do you NEED? What is missing? Don't buy anything if you don't know why you need it. When you find that you need a sound, look at the options for making that sound. Because there are boatloads of choices in almost every pedal category, from cheap and junky to rally seriously designed and expensive, with subtle and not so subtle differences among the choices.

I am a keep it simple kinda guy. I have a couple of multi-function pedals for convenience.. toss them in the bag to go to play and have all the bases covered. But when I'm being serious or recording, I have a box of boutique pedals that I use, hooking up only what I need and making the chain fit the recording or situation.

Each guitarist decides that he needs or must have certain pedals. For me the total collection of boutique pedals is pretty small. A wah, a rotation pedal, a boost (well, 2 different boosts), an echo, and a 60s-style distortion.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
subscribe to the ProGuitarShop.com youtube channel and watch their demos. you can also get to them directly from their website. when a pedal demo comes along that you like, great - now you know what pedal you want! of course the downside is that andy - their demo guy - is so good, you want everything. :-)
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
+1 for youtube demos and lots of forum-reading (talkbass and *****).
Old 28th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
thanks all for the reply. Now I have to do is say the magic word and they will all appear! yeah right.that in the guy is really good! Now if I can only find me a visual sound chorus pedal I'll be set for a minute California.
๐Ÿ“ Reply