Quantcast
Essential Guitars / Accessories for Production - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Essential Guitars / Accessories for Production
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I use a cheap acoustic with nashville tuning instead of a 12 string... Just double any parts on the acoustic with that... Also great for counter melodies

Two 'accessories' you need are a capo and a list of alternate tunings

Equip wise id get a big muff, a decent echo, a decent comp and a decent eq..
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Rickenbacker Bass
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson/Epiphone 12 String Acoustic
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have bought a Guild D150 NAT, dreadnought and Fender P American Special, thoughts so far...

The Guild is incredible value at £600 solid wood, beautiful finish very Martin like sound very percussive and big, found it when I wasnt looking, its far better for my taste than the Taylor 310CE I bought first which sounded narrow and sterile to me.
That said now its home it might be a bit thin in the upper mids, very playable but still feeling it out, I hope it works.

I had to grab the Fender American Special P and try it out properly here cost £811.00, learned just how sweet my old Fender Jazz is although I can see now why its been so hard to mix, the Fender P has the bottom end growl that fills out the track without stepping all over the kick drum and other instruments.
I think I may wish I had bought an American standard as it just has that additional punchy attack. Dont know, I'll be using it for a paying session tomorrow need to see how that goes.

Did try the cheaper models but didnt like the MIM or the £486.00 version, sounded ok but I didnt find any love for them.
Would like to add the Stingray Sub at a later date, supefun to play just too aggressive and less tone variation at this time, £385.00 though unreal bargain!

Thanks for the advice, this may not be over yet would be very interested to find a good list of alternate ac guitar tunings, where can I get a comprehensive list?
And I may as yet retirn both of these purchases if they dont kick ass over the nect couple of days!
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well done. Hope they serve you nicely.
Old 29th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Best piece of gack I ever bought was a BBE Sonic Maximizer rackmount. I've no idea how this thing works but it is the business. We ran everything through it in the studio. Well, nearly everything...!
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Latest:

I hope someone else will find this useful.
The Guild DT150 and the Fender Special American have been returned.
Why?
They are both nice instruments but the Fender Special...I dont know just didnt inspire love in me; a feeling I look for in expensive purchases.
The Special lacked luxurious finishing and the pickups perhaps had a certain hyped quality I couldn't quite settle on.
The Guild was really cool looking, all solid wood, had a very satisfying big, jangly quality, initially I was really excited about this but this faded getting it home and later recording it.
I found it took up alot of space in the mix while providing a disappointing return. Also noticed a lot of flat spots, poor resonances, buzzes and strangles that did unfortunately give me a rather cheap impression of it overall, it sounded best with open chords but really only worked in a couple of places.

Andertons in Guildford have been really helpful and supportive and I think in respect of these two items I've hit the level I wanted finally.
Returned home yesterday with an American Standard P Bass and...a Taylor 214.

Great deal on the P Bass, picked up a boxed end of line, 3 tone sunburst (my favourite finish) for £899.00 just £80 more than the special and in my view far superior. A setup will improve it but it has a richer more authentic tone and playability and has a feel good factor.

I'm really satisfied now with the Taylor, originally really put off by one I bought in the beginning, so much so I didnt want to go near them again, but on returning the Guild I was introduced by the assistant to the smaller bodied 214.
Its a spruce top with laminate rosewood back and sides with a smaller body similar to my Martin. I may have been resistant initially but the sound and inviting playability really hooked me in.

I've since recorded the Taylor and its delivering what I've been after. Punchy, mid range percussive tone, economic to the mix but delivering real weight and presence, as well it is beautifully made, very clean, focused and makes me want to be a better player so I can get the most out of it.

So, anyone who might be about to embark on a similar journey my advice in reflection would be if you have an unsettled feeling about what you buy its not right, find a good store who dont mind you taking items home and returning them if not quite right. Be persistant about achieving the sound your after, dont accept second best.
The most expensive solutions are not always the best but at other times might be. Ask staff if they might have old stock sitting in their warehouse - it might be just what you need.
Finally keep an open mind about what might work for you and dont rule out a good brand because you had one bad experience.
The Taylor goes against certain prejudices, smaller body, laminates and a bad experience but its turned out to be what I think could be my most satisfying purchase.

I may have spent a small fortune but I have now at least got that sensation that I have got the best possible results.

Thanks again everyone for your assistance!
Old 30th September 2012
Deleted User
Some things to consider:

Consider a Line 6 M13 for a stomp box solution. Just about everything under the sun in there, and it’s stereo.

A Precision Deluxe gives you a P-bass and Jazz, all rolled into one. A MM bass certainly has a signature sound.

A high-strung acoustic is a good idea.

Low-string an electric for a quasi baritone.

A Les Paul with some 490s will take you further than the 335.

A 12 string and/or a mandolin is good for additional textures.

A larger-bodied acoustic.

A cheap electric with humbuckers for slide.

A brass bodied resonator.

A tube DI for the bass.

Lastly, there is much to be said for a mic'd amp. Doesn't have to be large.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
@jholt.

I've got both a jazz and a precision now following recent purchase.
A number of contributors have advised Les Paul but I dont get why this would be essential unless I was doing alot more blues or hard rock, the E335 can sound really heavy, it seems to me that getting a les paul would be like buying a heavier e335 when I might find more dramatic tonal differences buying a Gretsch or a Rickenbacker.
I far more often do pop/country/rock so an lp would be an expensive luxury but I'm open to why, what sort of music are you using yours for jholt?

Appreciate your other suggestions...cash low now though :(
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any folks tried the Jazzmaster? It has the clean sound of strat/Tele but with p90 style pickups..
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholt57 ➡️
A cheap electric
Sounds like you are still missing that cheap acoustic.

I have a '69 Stella that I got for $55.00. It finds its way into many recordings with its resonant character.

Fingerpickers love that raw sound.

Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
Why a LP?

In your original post, you indicated the 335 was used for the heavy rock tones. Just my opinion, but I think a 335 (have one and have owned several over the decades) hits a wall that a LP easily transcends, when it comes to heavy rock. That's all.....
Frankly, it needn't be an LP. Could be another solid body/humbucker. Epi LPs (some) can get the job done cheaply. One of the earlier Epi LP Ultras, with that NanoMag acoustic pickup offers lots of tone. A used one shouldn’t be more that $250-300.
Check out some of the Recording King acoustics. Tons of guitar for the money. Just sift through them until you find a great one.
Given the budget constraints, a decent Epi LP with coil taps and heavier strings could cover several bases:
1. Heavier rock (if you’re not doing primary soloing/string bending)
2. Slide (the heavier strings will give you enough tension)
3. Baritone (heavier strings can be tuned down)
Use Craigslist and find deals. Make your choices do double or triple duty. I like to have a large tonal palette available, hence the suggestions for so many different instruments, but you can get it done with less. Looking at your list, you can get it done with what you already have, if you are creative.
If you don’t have the luxury of money, take advantage of the luxury of time.
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You really need only about 6 guitars to cover your range:
Strat, Tele, LP, Hollow body, SG and Acoustic.
But the truth is about as many types of pickups are involved.
Single coil, lipstick, humbucker, mini humbucker, P90, active.
Tube amps by Fender, Vox, Marshall, Orange, etc... and don't forget S.S.
Roland JC120 and Yamaha, Lab Series, Crate, and Line 6.
That combination of ingredients in the right amounts
would brew any stew...
Old 8th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
here is the current list, in addition to a Capo and an Ebow...

1) Gibson Custom Shop 56 Gold Top LP w/ P90s and Bigsby
(Standard Tuning)

2) Fender American Made Natural/Ash Tele
(Standard Tuning)

3) Fender "Roland Ready" Midi / Standard Strat
(DADGAD)

4) ESP Eclipse II
(Drop D)

5) Togaman Electric Cana / Naked Spartan
(Standard Tuning Bowed Guitar Viol)

6) Epiphone Acoustic Master Built AJ-500ME
(Standard Tuning, Records Great, but not so great electronics)

7) Gold Tone Chrome Dobro
(Open G)

8) Danelectro Six Sting Bass
(Octave Below Guitar Standard Tuning)

9) Danelectro Barritone
(5th Below Guitar Standard Tuning)

10) Epiphone Les Paul Bass
(No idea what I was thinking, but it works fine for recording)

11) Rogue AE-3 Lap Steel
(Open G)

12) Rogue Electric Sitar
(Jerry Jones knockoff, discontinued)

13) Hammer Dulcimer

14) Mandolin

15) Ukulele

Despite all this I'm lusting after:

1) Trussart Steelcaster

2) Echo Park Guitars Tri-Phonic/Clarence

3) Parker Fly Adrien Belew Signature
Old 8th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
@jholt

Money is ultimately a deciding factor at least for now:(
I like the E335 alot for what I do and if it was someone else who was posting the question I'd say an E335 was essential. It is compatible with so many genres of music, it can do jazz, indie pop, country and can fake it deep into hard rock territory. This is why the LP sits on a backburner, though either this or an SG now sits in my new want list

Heres my present kit list with recent upgrades...

Fender 73 Jazz Bass
Fender American Standard Precision Bass
Fender US Strat
Fender US Tele
Gibson E335
Taylor 214 Acoustic
Martin Auditorium
Fender Mandolin
Autoharp

New Wants...will this ever end?
No of course not!

Musicman StingRay
Fender Strat to replace my Ultra Strat
Gretsch Something
National Dobro
Rickenbacker 6 string / 12 string
SG/LP
12 String Acoustic
Lap Steel
Ebow
Ukele

Yikes!
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A baritone, Les Paul and a 12 and 6 Ric.

Sent from my SGH-T959 2
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
No, it will never end;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiFF ➡️
@jholt

I like the E335 alot for what I do and if it was someone else who was posting the question I'd say an E335 was essential. It is compatible with so many genres of music, it can do jazz, indie pop, country and can fake it deep into hard rock territory. This is why the LP sits on a backburner, though either this or an SG now sits in my new want list

Fender 73 Jazz Bass
Fender US Strat
Fender US Tele
Gibson E335
Taylor 214 Acoustic
Martin Auditorium
Fender Mandolin
Autoharp

No of course not!

Musicman StingRay
Gretsch Something
National Dobro
SG/LP
12 String Acoustic
Lap Steel
Ebow
Ukele

Yikes!
Yes, the 335 will cover a multitude of styles. The hard rock realm can be a bit of a stretch, but, you are correct, you can do a decent job faking it. The capo was an excellent addition.
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiFF ➡️
@jholt

Fender 73 Jazz Bass
Fender US Strat
Fender US Tele
Gibson E335
Taylor 214 Acoustic
Martin Auditorium
Fender Mandolin
Autoharp

No of course not!

Musicman StingRay
Gretsch Something
National Dobro
SG/LP
12 String Acoustic
Lap Steel
Ebow
Ukele

Yikes!
Nice list!

I don't have an expensive gretsch but was surprised at how well it plays. Ever tried one?
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 ➡️
Any folks tried the Jazzmaster? It has the clean sound of strat/Tele but with p90 style pickups..
Jazzmaster pickups are nothing like p90 pickups.

Sent from my SGH-T959 2
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 ➡️
Jazzmaster pickups are nothing like p90 pickups.

Sent from my SGH-T959 2
So what would be the obvious differences in your opinion?
Old 9th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➡️
As far as accessories go, I'd say the following are probably the basics for any setup.
- Good strobe tuner. Personally, my favorite is the Turbo Tuner.
- Compressor pedal. There are bunch of good ones. I have an original Janglebox, but the newer ones are a lot more flexible.
- Delay pedal. Also, tons of great options. I use the MXR Carbon Copy and the Aqua Puss.
- Good OD pedal. I'm not a collector of these, but I've been very happy with my Zendrive2. The Zendrive is nice, but is a bit more specialized than the Zendrive2. The Fulltone OCD is a nice pedal, too.
+1 on all of the above, Turbo Tuner is the ****!

For stomp boxes, I'd also add a few fuzz pedals, I find them necessary for many of my lead guitar tones. A Big Muff or Swollen Pickle would be good. I'd also get something with germanium transistors because I haven't heard anything that can duplicate that sound, either a Tonebender clone or Fuzz Face clone with carefully selected GE transistors. Can't hurt to have a Tubescreamer around as well.

Depending on how you can work it, it would be great to have packs of new strings particularly for acoustic, probably gotta bill for those as used. Capos and slides would be cool as well.
📝 Reply