Lookin for a Les Paul with a trem - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lookin for a Les Paul with a trem
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Lookin for a Les Paul with a trem

Hello
I would like a guitar with the fat sound of the les paul, but also with a stable tremolo system (not locking). A double cutaway would be gravy, as would a neck a bit skinnier than some of the typical Paul necks. Thanks!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PRS!
Old 19th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The agile series offers this.go to www.rondomusic.com
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio ➑️
PRS!
yep - the DGT - david grissom trem - is probably a great place to look.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds like you're really looking for a PRS
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio ➑️
PRS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner ➑️
Sounds like you're really looking for a PRS
I'll disagree, and vehemently:

While I certainly haven't heard and played every model PRS that's out there, I've heard and played an awful lot, enough to know that they most certainly do not sound like a Les Paul...unless you mean in an incredibly course general sense. E.g., yeah, they sound more like a Les Paul than a Telecaster does, I'll give you that.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrocks ➑️
Hello
I would like a guitar with the fat sound of the les paul, but also with a stable tremolo system (not locking). A double cutaway would be gravy, as would a neck a bit skinnier than some of the typical Paul necks. Thanks!
Warmoth. Pick your body, pickup routing, pick your neck style, finish... done deal.

I remember the Les Pauls from the late 1970s with the trems. Probably rare, I guess that they did not sell. My luthier disparaged them mightily at the time, so I guess the basic design had problems.

Another option would be to buy a Les Paul and have a luthier retrofit the trem of your choice, or contact the Gibson Custom Shop.

Why have a non-locking trem? I mean, I have one on a custom built guitar made for a purpose and I accepted the luthiers recommendation, but it seems a locking trem brings more versatility, doesn't it? You can get crazy if you need to?

As soon as you go to double cut, you change the sound. Which is why the PRS recommendations, and I agree with those who say that the PRS does not sound like a Les Paul. It doesn't.
Old 22nd September 2012
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Go Lester and bigsby!
Old 22nd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Over the years, I tend to add a Bigsby to all my Gibsons. I currently have a 1975 Custom with a gold Bigsby drilled on from back then. My 1977 Standard also has a B7 Bigsby. I also added one to my 1978 Deluxe. I don't use Bigsby's much but I'm glad I've added them for when I do need them. Plus... I just like the way they look.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How about a JJ from the UK, wonderful instrument from a great builder:

JJ Customworks "Electra" V Vintage Ultra | Axe... And You Shall Receive

Andy
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ther eis one on ebay right now with a Kahler.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Axess or whatever they call it or the Lifeson would be my choice. Maybe a Les Paul LITE series from the 90s (some of those had trems).

I would want to try one that had been modded (I know the Khaler was factory on a lot) because I remember reading about neck angle issues with Floyds.

YMMV
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Last night I saw a new Les Paul Studio with a Floyd Rose. It sure sounded like
a LP to me. They guy didn't whamy it much, but when he did it appeared
to work fine.

I agree that a PRS won't work. I have a custom 24 and a 69 Les Paul Standard. They sound way different.

DaveT
Old 3rd October 2012
GS Community Manager

The PRS SC58 and Stripped 58s are pretty bloody close to the Les Paul tone.

No trem though - and I think the lack thereof is part of the equation that gives them that 'nearly-there' sound.

Neither is inexpensive, as is usually the case in PRS-land.

The Customs on the other hand, as has been mentioned, not even in the same galaxy.
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This thread is a bit old, but I did want to mention that I just put a Stetsbar on my year-old Les Paul Studio Deluxe. Fits right on top of the LP without any modifications, and does not affect the tone. Also works very well, better than the other vibrato bars I have on other guitars. The bridge actually moves, so the string only slides through the nut, and tuning remains stable.
Look here:
stetsbar.com
There are also videos on YouTube.
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Jimi Bar Tremolo Unit for stop tail piece type guitars.

Sent from my LT29i
Attached Thumbnails
Lookin for a Les Paul with a trem-uploadfromtaptalk1356702070899.jpg   Lookin for a Les Paul with a trem-uploadfromtaptalk1356702093755.jpg  
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The Alex lifeson les paul is a great guitar but expensive. There is also the Gibson les paul shred studio. They are very poor investments IMO.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
I played a couple of LPs with a Bowen Handle back in the 80s. One was good, the other was instantly out-of-tune. It all amounts to setup. I don't recall the differences between how the two guitars were set up. The LP bridge wasn't designed for the strings to slide across them, so either avoid aggressive use, or maybe try graphite saddles. The same goes for the nut.

Looks like the Bowen Handle is still in production. It's cheap, so it might be worth a try.

Freedom Guitar: Serving Musicians and Collectors Worldwide

I don't see how to order it from the web site, but there are plenty on eBay.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…