Quantcast
Setting up guitars. My tele sounds best when the action is set like a Martin guitar - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Setting up guitars. My tele sounds best when the action is set like a Martin guitar
Old 19th October 2012
Deleted User
You can't fake it with heavier gauge (.011 to .052). The heavier bass strings are definitely cleaner and less flappy. I may have to play around with my Allen keys though, lowering the action. It's not perfect.
Old 19th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Before you alter the action, make very sure the neck is straight.

This may change seasonally with temp and humidity changes on some guitars.
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
Always been under the impression the steeper the angle of the string over the saddle, the more tone you get. Hence either more comfort and low action, or more tone and high. More tone for me. Especially with an acoustic.
Also maybe brass saddles ? looks like the only solution to raising the saddle pitch and compensate the action is to make neck pocket shallower. :/

Old 20th October 2012
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
When setting up a Fender guitar (either tele or strat) it is often advantageous to adjust the neck angle for optimum string height up the neck. The 3-bolt CBS era guitars had an adjustment for this but it didn't work well, as it decreased sustain by decoupling the neck from the body. The correct way to do it is to remove the neck and use shims. Traditionally we used shims made of cardboard, folded paper, or very thin wood or plastic, but now there is a superior way to go in the form of stainless steel shims sold by CRS Industries. My lead guitarist has these installed in his relic Strat, relic Tele Custom, and I have them in my Squire Tele and they work great - much better than the older cardboard or wood as they don't compress over time and coupling of the neck to the body is excellent. They also have placement holes for the screws to go through so they don't shift out of place while you're bolting the neck back on. They come in a set of 9 - 3 each of 3 different thicknesses.

Highly recommended.
Old 25th October 2012 | Show parent
Founder

I restarted my guitar playing recently so strength is returning to my left hand..

initially on my open G tele I was thinking 'to hell with fret buzz I want low action'

but now my hands are stronger the gauge of string has gotten thicker - I think its time I move out of the buzz zone now..
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you have heavier strings the action can be set lower without buzz because they don't flap about so much. Also I find I can pick faster for the same reason.
Old 26th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I like a bit of relief and heavier strings ( 10-52 ) on my Tele. I find this to be the perfect balance for the old girl: I can fairycake 1st position chords, hammer all Barre chords, and have enough height from the tenth fret on up to really dig or bend if I want to. Still with the Tele quack, too. Alas, the poor old girl is in dire need of a fret job so the 20 years of perfecting my set up will soon be moot.
Old 28th October 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktadoussac ➡️
I just put on a set of .011 to .52, medium top heavy bottoms on my Strat. I have to say it is a breath of fresh air but it's probably a tad too heavy to play in public with this set-up. But I really like the tighter bass strings. These are the model EXL-116 D'Addario. For about six years I had only used their .011 to .049 set, the EXL-115. I'll stick with the heavier ones for at least a month and see if I become a better player.

I ended up with a fairly high action (actually a brutal one). The guitar has no buzzing when played acoustically.
I'm quoting my own post -- but today I ended up swapping the bottom three strings off my Strat (E = 0.52)and putting them on my Partscaster-style Tele. I readjusted the truss rod several times but there was more relief than I wanted on the Strat. The neck on my Tele is sturdier and it seems to take it better.

I think in the end my reference set for most guitars will be .011 to .049, the EXL-115.

It pumps you up like Hans and Franz playing the stiffer strings...but I can't take it if there is too much relief.
📝 Reply