Pedal Board Cables - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pedal Board Cables
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Pedal Board Cables

Hey Slutz

I want to replace all my patch cables on my pedalboard and have a reliable cable and stick to one brand rather than having a couple of different manufacturers. I want to be able to have the flexibility to change my pedal board configuration around and have solid reliable cables that won't go bad from moving around/plugging/un-plugging a lot. I want to keep them as short as possible to maximize my pedalboard space as well as not having excess cable everywhere. I'm looking to go a DIY approach.

I'm currently stuck between solder and solderless. I heard solderless is good for quick fixes and are pretty reliable and heard Solder is just as reliable if not more. I'm sure someone on here knows more on this?

I'm between two brands right now, Lava and Mogami.
I'm thinking of going the Lava route. I was looking at the mini elc solderless kit (If I go the solderless route) but it only makes 5 cables. They also have a solder kit which is a bit cheaper. I'm looking to have at least 10-12+ cables if not more. So buying two of those solderless kits would not be cost efficient. So bulk would be the best thing considered as long as it doesn't break the bank. Unless I happened to keep the cables short enough and have enough left over cable from the kit to just buy more connectors.

I've thrown Gerorge L's out of the mix because of mixed reviews and price.

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I used the George L's on a touring board and liked them a lot. When you use a pedalboard with multiple pedals on the front end and fx loop of an amp, you are going to have tone suck. That's the price you pay. I really liked the solderless George L's and making them to size to minimize cable runs.

I really like Mojami stuff as well, but the price just seems to be so high most times. I've never used the Lava stuff, so I can't comment. I could do the ol' GS "well, I read that the Lava blah blu blah blu blah", but I choose not to do that. I try to speak from what I've tried.

Good luck.

JROD
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I custom make patch cords for a lot of players, people all over the county playing my cords, just as good or better then mogami and alot less $$ drop me a line if youre interested or you can look up my company mad labs boutique. I wouldn't go the solder less route, to many things can go wrong with the connection. Also if you have a lot of pedals running a buffer makes a big difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Gearslutz App
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

I've uses George l's, Fulltone, lava, conquest, etc.. Etc.. I've tried a lot.

The fulltone sound really good but are bulky an perhaps a bit expensive for what they are.

George l's sound great as do the lava. I'm using lava cables mostly right now. I don't like the sound of a lot of cables but either of these two are great. Sometimes the ends come loose on either brand.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by litepipe ➑️
I've uses George l's, Fulltone, lava, conquest, etc.. Etc.. I've tried a lot.

The fulltone sound really good but are bulky an perhaps a bit expensive for what they are.

George l's sound great as do the lava. I'm using lava cables mostly right now. I don't like the sound of a lot of cables but either of these two are great. Sometimes the ends come loose on either brand.
What type are you using? I presume you're using solderless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 ➑️
I used the George L's on a touring board and liked them a lot. When you use a pedalboard with multiple pedals on the front end and fx loop of an amp, you are going to have tone suck. That's the price you pay. I really liked the solderless George L's and making them to size to minimize cable runs.

I really like Mojami stuff as well, but the price just seems to be so high most times. I've never used the Lava stuff, so I can't comment. I could do the ol' GS "well, I read that the Lava blah blu blah blu blah", but I choose not to do that. I try to speak from what I've tried.

Good luck.

JROD
George L's are quite pricey I've looked them over again. Did you buy cable by the foot and buy their plugs as well?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Board

George L's are quite pricey I've looked them over again. Did you buy cable by the foot and buy their plugs as well?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would buy some bulk cable and a bunch of connectors. This was probably 5 years ago when I built my last board. Solderless are great if you don't have to worry about pedals flopping around. I had mine mounted to my board, so they weren't going anywhere.

I'm not sure the price of them nowadays. That was a while back.

JROD
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear
I replaced all my pedalboard cables with lava solderless cables. These are great cables and much more reliable than the George L's.

I got fed up with the George L's because they seemed to constantly breakdown if moved slightly. Not only do the Lava cables sound better they are much more reliable if you need a pedal around.

I bought a mix of straight and angled lava cables kits. The straight ones are cheaper and can really bend around tight corners. I bought mine on ebay during a sale on ebay during some holiday? They do pop up used on ebay also.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
FWIW, my experience with the solderless George L's has often been frustrating. My board is stationary, and the pedals are held in place with generous amounts of velcro. In practice, the pressure of pressing the pedals has caused some of them to become intermittent on more than one ocassion. Had I to do all over again, I would not use them. Your mileage may vary.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wired my own custom lengths, used foil shield Gepco for ease of build, though on past boards I used Belden 8410 for the better shielding. I don't get too twisted up about this stuff, wiring is not my favorite thing but it is easy enough, reasonable quality pieces/parts perform well enough for me but I'm not a maniac when I play.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
have used George L's for over 12 years now for pedalboards and rack wiring of unbalanced effects, synths, etc. Never a problem.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

I'm using solderless lava. Good cable is not cheap. If you go solderless you'll have to maintain occasionally. They come loose over time. Both sound great.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I think I'm gonna try the solder free route and go with the lava kit and buy some extra connectors.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My most recent board has Mogami 2528 wire, switchcraft 380 and/or 226. The wire is unbalanced, dual run and small diameter with excellent specs. Leave it together for send/return runs to your TBP looper or split it in half to make patch cables. I tried the Lava solderless and was truly disappointed (but I really like the Lava coil cables). Maybe I just prefer to solder my cables. I had some Evidence Monorail as well but had issues with some passing a weak signal, so I replaced them with Mogami.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAVD ➑️
My most recent board has Mogami 2528 wire, switchcraft 380 and/or 226. The wire is unbalanced, dual run and small diameter with excellent specs. Leave it together for send/return runs to your TBP looper or split it in half to make patch cables. I tried the Lava solderless and was truly disappointed (but I really like the Lava coil cables). Maybe I just prefer to solder my cables. I had some Evidence Monorail as well but had issues with some passing a weak signal, so I replaced them with Mogami.
what was it that disappointed you about the lava?
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgarrett ➑️
what was it that disappointed you about the lava?
Maybe it was just the whole concept or maybe it's my preference for soldering the cables. All I know is that by the time I had one cable made up, I was ready to go back to the old tried and true way. Some plugs were difficult to get tight and on a whole, it just didn't feel as solid. As far as sound, I didn't notice anything objectionable. Besides, given the choice, I prefer a spiral shield cable to a braided one for flexibility and ease of assembly. Though for someone that doesn't want to solder cables, or if your rig changes frequently, I certainly see the appeal.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I recently rearranged my pedalboard and used the mogami cables purchased on ebay from this gentleman:

Mad Wires Patch Cables

They are quality made, come in different lengths and directions, and they are affordable. Needless to say, I have not had any issues with my pedalboard.

For the record: I am not affiliated with the maker/seller; I just like to put in a good word for people who still make quality products.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I make my own cabling and use and love Mogami. Planet waves are pretty good too. I stay away from solderless but can't give an opinion on them either way. Maybe you'll like them!
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Well, I was going to buy the regular right angle solder less kit for $90 and buy a bunch of r/a connectors with the leftover cable. But, I got a deal. If I buy one black/gold solderless kit I get one kit free but it has to be the straight plugs. I'd really prefer the right angle plugs for my pedals does any have any input regarding straight and right angled? I guess I could always resell the 2nd kit and get right angle connectors?
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear
I have a mix and the straight plugs from lava and the straights can bend very well. In fact they do not short out at all if you bend it around a tight corner. I was a little worried like you but once you try them they are really unlike any normal "straight" connector which has a weak point if you bend them(like GL cables).

The cables do have a learning curve. Be prepared to fail on your first few attempts. (took me 3-4 tries, so start with a very health length on the first one) After that everyone single one I made was perfect. Once you make a good one they do not fail.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Regarding straight vs right angles, really depends on your layout. Right angle on the George l's is a shorter length; guessing same on Lava.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the mini Mogami cable (the same one Bradshaw recommends it's very inexpensive over at Redco.com. I buy the pancake jacks (GLS or GLK?) from Amazon.

Soldering them is very easy, as everything is exposed and it's only 4 points per cable.

I have George L in my GCX and it sounds good but they do come loose if you're stuff is being moved a lot.

This is the stuff I use:

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=506

http://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Prof...ds=GLS+pancake
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I solder my own. It's the only way to go in my opinion. A soldered connection is so much more reliable, especially if you do it yourself (assuming you know how to do it right). I always carry an extra patch cable in one of my guitar cases as a backup, but I've never had a patch cable go bad on me, other than the two times I stepped on one while it was plugged into an effect pedal and broke off the tip. Well, I've actually stepped on them more than a few times, but only twice did they break. Both of them I made using cheap connectors, so as they say, you get what you pay for. I will typically just buy some cheap L connectors and then cannibalize an old guitar cable. Last time I did this I spent about $10 and made half a dozen 6" patch cables. If I were more concerned with reliability and quality, I'd go for Mogami W2524 cables with Neutrik connectors. Maybe grab some of those Neutrik timbre plugs that allow you to change the impedance of the wire with a dial on the plug. I mean if you're gonna go all out, go all out. But all that would get expensive, and I just haven't heard an expensive cable that produced a noticeably superior sound over what I currently have been using, especially when you consider the short lengths these cables run. To me the biggest area of concern in a cable like this is the solder joint, and that's something I'd rather do myself than leave up to a machine in China.
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've been using George L's for years. Touring and in the studio. I've found that once you get the hang of making them, they last longer. In fact, I made 5 or so cables that haven't crapped out in 2 years, and i pull them in and out of stuff all the time in the studio and on my board. Maybe it's just luck

Also, I've found the kits to be cheaper than buying individual ends and cables...there's a bunch on ebay.
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
the best way I have found is Mogami cables with switchcraft right angle connectors to help get your pedals as close as possible. Use cable cable ties. Remove all rubber pads from bottom of pedals and then use 3M dual Lock to velcro pedals to board (CLEAN). Put a Boss tuner last in the chain to buffer the signal to the amp.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by axlepaas ➑️
I've been using George L's for years. Touring and in the studio. I've found that once you get the hang of making them, they last longer. In fact, I made 5 or so cables that haven't crapped out in 2 years, and i pull them in and out of stuff all the time in the studio and on my board. Maybe it's just luck
Same here.

Ever since using the small George L cable tester I never had even one dropout.
But funnily enough it's the battery tester itself that went down twice i.e the batteries were gone after a few days with little use?

I couldn't do it without George L cables in terms of pedal real estate. I set up a Pedaltrain Mini for small gigs/easy transport in addition to my bigger board and with the George Ls I can put about 5 or 6 pedals on there what would be impossible to do with bigger plugs/cable.

Since I use Sommer Spirit XXL cable for longer runs, I also compared Sommer patch cables to George Ls and sonically I liked the George Ls a tad better. We're getting into Eric Johnson territory here but it was a reconfirmation for keeping the George Ls.
Old 8th October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm surprised no one ever mentions the Core x2 cable kits. I've used 2 completes kits so far, and I've only had a single failure in the few years that I've been using them. I've used the Planet Waves connectors with the Core cable and they work fine, too.
Old 26th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Orange County Speaker offers a 6 pack of GLS Audio patch cables. You can get them pre-soldered or you can buy the raw parts and do it yourself. They come with pancake right angle plugs which are great for saving floor space on your board. They are $25 plus shipping and handling. I've done both, had them pre-made and assembled them myself.

All in all, a good cable.
Old 31st March 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I've heard great things about lava cables. I'd go with them..
Old 31st March 2013
Lives for gear

Lava sound great but solderless cables are just not reliable.
Old 11th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by litepipe ➑️
Lava sound great but solderless cables are just not reliable.
I think I've had 1 solderless cable go bad in the 6 or 7 years I've been using them. And, they're easy enough to fix.
πŸ“ Reply