Quantcast
Lol why do ppl use capo's? - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lol why do ppl use capo's?
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Why do people use picks anyway? You play all the same things with your fingers!
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashez ➡️
And had the most helmet style hair next to gene Simmons lol. Still don't get why he used a capo. You can play the exact leads with With out them. So I stand by my point earlier. There is no need if you know your way around a guitar. Dexterity and knowing your chords.

Only if you think playing an A at fret 5 sounds the same as A open.
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick ➡️
I suppose you could play "Here Comes the Sun" without a capo if that appeals to you, but only you will be impressed with yourself. The rest of us will say "it sounds wrong -- and you're sweating the effort WAY too much."

If you think a capo is just a barre chord crutch or a cheap way to change keys, you're not really exploring what it can do for you.
Or Fire and Rain... or Norwegian Wood... or...
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The guitar is a crutch for people who can't program beats on an MPC.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago ➡️
Actually, capos can be used to give your guitar a completely different sound, like people have said, it makes the guitar into a shorter scale instrument. You also get a metal nut (ie, the fret you put the capo at, which gives a more metallic sound to open strings)

If you listen to Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings (a great acoustic guitar virtuoso), they use capos a lot and I believe it contributes to the sound.

I've become fascinated by capos lately, so that's why I felt I had to comment!
Capos change the harmonic series of the instrument.
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
Only if you think playing an A at fret 5 sounds the same as A open.
It does on my guitar . Exactly like it . If it didn't ....I'd go out and buy another one .
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It does on my guitar . Exactly like it . If it didn't ....I'd go out and buy another one .

ahh I see..
Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Capo, as well as strings and picks (and player, and room, and so on) can have a determinant impact on the sound.

Try strumming some chords with a 1mm pick, then try again with a 0.6... quite different, don't you think?

Same thing for capo, you can have "strong" chords without it and have "light James Blunt ****" with capo.
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Listen harder. No kidding. It will open up a sonic world of guitar tone colors to which you are obviously not paying attention. Accomplished guitarists are pretty careful about where they place open string notes. Joe Pass claimed to never play open strings (although I've seen him do it).
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If you can't tell the difference between open A at second fret and A barred at fret 5 - well, when you learn to hear properly, you can prepare to spend some more money on another guitar...
Old 3rd October 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Great tool to have and know how to use. Try it.
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Unless your fretboard looks like this, then that's virtually impossible.

Old 3rd October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
How else would you play open position chords in a different key??
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
I was going to respond but it's not worth it yet.

Go learn how to play guitar, then after a year or so of lessons, come back here and delete your posts out of embarrassment.

Regards,
Frank
Been playing guitar for 23 years. Tried the capo and then threw it in the garbage. I found I could play everything with out it thank you. Then again I'm classically trained and have the dexterity and skill that I don't have to use one. My teacher also had the same opinion. You can get by with out them. I leave my posts thank you as I am entitled to a opinion. I am old enough and been doing this crap long enough to know what I'm talking about.
Old 5th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Been playing guitar for 23 years. Tried the capo and then threw it in the garbage. I found I could play everything with out it thank you. Then again I'm classically trained and have the dexterity and skill that I don't have to use one. My teacher also had the same opinion. You can get by with out them. I leave my posts thank you as I am entitled to a opinion. I am old enough and been doing this crap long enough to know what I'm talking about.
Ah. Got it now. Your opinion is a bad habit passed on by your teacher.

This is why it's so important to interview and vet all canditates for a teacher before you settle in for a few years with one.

I also assume that you have never attempted playing renaissance and baroque music.

Thank God Paco de Lucia didn't study with your teacher as he's been known to use a capo when playing classical guitar. No one tell him though that he's not good enough.

Regards,
Frank
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ah. Got it now. Your opinion is a bad habit passed on by your teacher.

This is why it's so important to interview and vet all canditates for a teacher before you settle in for a few years with one.

I also assume that you have never attempted playing renaissance and baroque music.

Thank God Paco de Lucia didn't study with your teacher as he's been known to use a capo when playing classical guitar. No one tell him though that he's not good enough.

Regards,
Frank
Oh sorry frank. I didn't realise you we're the be all and end all of guitar. Just give me a minute while I set up my Frank " god of guitar " shrine and light a few candles. Then in my lotus position begin to strum and hum your name in unison to a open A string. Frank ...god of guitar ....frank ..... God of guitar. I'm sorry Frank but you must have mistaken me for some one who cares about your thoughts and opinions. I don't.

🎧 10 years
Quote:

C'mon - event the SAME position sounds different depending upon how you play it. An up pick sounds very different do a thumb stroke. Moving your playing hand up and down the guitar changes the notes balance (against inner harmonics etc). This is guitar 101 really! You learn about different tones at different positions on ALL stringed instruments pretty early on!

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat ➡️
Unless your fretboard looks like this, then that's virtually impossible.

Even like that they dont sound the same. The sting length is different. The vibration characteristics change. Heck - just listen!! Like fret 12 on the E doesn't sound like fret 7 on the A.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Clearly you have opinions and thats fine. But how would you play an open blues riff in Bb without a capo? How would you play many of the 19th century folk tunes without one (I can assure you you CAN'T since they were written to include active use of a capo). There are also many jazz pieces that use partial capo.

You may not need to use one for the things that you choose to play (pretty much like me - I don't use a capo for most of my work) - but I'm also guessing that there are other techniques you dont use. Closing oneself off from various playing techniques is fine; but it also doesn't give you any credibility to criticise techniques you dont use. Sure - FOR YOU it's no good but to sweep in and give broad statements that a capo is useless or a crutch is a serious undermine to your knowledge and experience in the instrument. If it's something you learned from you old teacher then that is what I'd call a very narrow teaching technique!

And 23 years? So what? I've been playing well over 30 years. Am I therefore better than you?
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
99 percent of people who use a capo , use it to play in a higher register. That's why you will see a lot of female artists use them as they naturally sing a octave higher than men. You don't have to learn different keys or change the way you play. It's easy. Just whack on a capo and presto. It's in a higher key. No science behind it. Oh frank ..... I don't care on your opinion on this post either but I bet you can't help but quote and reply because that's your thing. Go on Don't say anything I dare you to. You can't. It's your life to be a authority. Your so lucky to have this forum. In fact gear sluts is lucky to have you. Your the GS hero of the week.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
99 percent of people who use a capo , use it to play in a higher register. That's why you will see a lot of female artists use them as they naturally sing a octave higher than men. You don't have to learn different keys or change the way you play. It's easy. Just whack on a capo and presto. It's in a higher key. No science behind it. .
Ah - that's a VERY different thing. In those instances, yes - that is what a capo is mostly used for and in those circumstances the experienced player does not need one (apart from playing open folk chords in none open keys - as I say - try playing Blas Caes or other scottish folk tune in Bb)

That isn't the same as saying a capo is ONLY for the inexperienced. I wouldn't say John Williams or Dominic Frasca are inexperienced!! An absolutely essential item in bluegrass.

As for the second part of that post - if you don't like being here might I politely suggest that there are other forums? You only signed up under this name in June and to reach this level of vitriol isn't really a positive place to sit. Any chance of "getting friendlier"?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
99 percent of people who use a capo , use it to play in a higher register. That's why you will see a lot of female artists use them as they naturally sing a octave higher than men. You don't have to learn different keys or change the way you play. It's easy. Just whack on a capo and presto. It's in a higher key. No science behind it. Oh frank ..... I don't care on your opinion on this post either but I bet you can't help but quote and reply because that's your thing. Go on Don't say anything I dare you to. You can't. It's your life to be a authority. Your so lucky to have this forum. In fact gear sluts is lucky to have you. Your the GS hero of the week.
Of course I'm going to quote this and comment just to point out to you how much you do care. Everyone can see it in your responses. If you didn't care you wouldn't mention me in your last two posts but you can't help it. Because you do care.

I love it! Awesome. Go on...I dare you. Go make another post telling me that you don't care about what I say.

Xoxo,
Frank

p.s. I have a capo for you in case you decide to expand your repertoire.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
That isn't the same as saying a capo is ONLY for the inexperienced.
That seems to be the problem. He's convinced that a capo is the same as the transpose button on a keyboard when it couldn't be more different.

This whole conversation feels like someone who lives in the middle of the desert declaring that boats are not needed because real explorers could swim from continent to continent when the most experience he has had with the ocean is his bathtub.

Regards,
Frank

🎧 10 years
HAHAHAHA
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
a capo is the same as the transpose button on a keyboard
This seems to be our point of misunderstanding.

I've had a guitar in my hands for over 45 years and I definitely used my capo for a crutch for many of them. I never really did get very good at this thing but I can't seem to put it down.

After 20 years or so of swearing off the capo in an effort to push my personal boundaries on the fretboard I have recently come to a new appreciation of the sonic nuances of using it. So.....I see that there are truly two sides to the above discussion.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I am old enough and been doing this crap long enough to know what I'm talking about.
Clearly not.

Seriously this is pro forum there are a lot of people on here with a lot more knowledge and experience than you..it's ok to be wrong...and once you accept that you could actually learn something.

Dropping in the old 'classically trained' line may impress in the local pub but not here amongst people that actually know something about the subject.
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm probably getting more entertainment out of this thread because I'm sleep deprived but here goes:

Here's a video of Paco de Lucia, playing some classical flamenco, capo clearly in view:

Tell me Tashez that:

1. You could play this without the capo since you have more dexterity than him.

2. Paco is using a capo because, in your own words, he's one of the "re tards who haven't got the dexterity to play different chord shapes in order to play different keys."

3. You're a better guitarist than him since he needs the capo and you don't.

I liked it better when I thought you were a 17 year old shooting his mouth off. The prospect that you might be an adult, with your attitude and viewpoint concerning this, is alarming at the least.

If you really don't realize how you sound because you're repeating what was instilled in you by your teacher, who by your own admission shares your viewpoint, then you might not realize the disservice that was done to you and how negligent your teacher really was in his or her duties.

Fight us all you want. Stick your fingers in your ears and yell, "I can't hear you!" if it makes you happy. I hope at the least, offline and away from the forum, you're doing some damage control and attempting to fix what's appearing to be very serious gaps in your guitar education.

In all honesty, this thread should have ended with Graham posting his video.

I hope you take more away from the youtube video I posted than, "I'm better than him because he needs a capo and I don't."

Best of luck to you,
Frank
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm probably getting more entertainment out of this thread because I'm sleep deprived but here goes:

Here's a video of Paco de Lucia, playing some classical flamenco, capo clearly in view:

Tell me Tashez that:

2. Paco is using a capo because, in your own words, he's one of the "re tards who haven't got the dexterity to play different chord shapes in order to play different keys."

I liked it better when I thought you were a 17 year old shooting his mouth off. The prospect that you might be an adult, with your attitude and viewpoint concerning this, is alarming at the least.

If you really don't realize how you sound because you're repeating what was instilled in you by your teacher, who by your own admission shares your viewpoint, then you might not realize the disservice that was done to you and how negligent your teacher really was in his or her duties.

Fight us all you want. Stick your fingers in your ears and yell, "I can't hear you!" if it makes you happy. I hope at the least, offline and away from the forum, you're doing some damage control and attempting to fix what's appearing to be very serious gaps in your guitar education.

I hope you take more away from the youtube video I posted than, "I'm better than him because he needs a capo and I don't."

Best of luck to you,
Frank

Yawnnnnnnnnnn !
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Tell me Tashez that:

Best of luck to you,
Frank
Sheryl Crow - Sad Sad World (with capo!) on TheStage.tv #118097 (TheMoonSpark) - YouTube

Sheryl with a a capo ....whats your point ?
Closed