Quantcast
Lol why do ppl use capo's? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lol why do ppl use capo's?
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone who thinks a capo is for beginners must be a beginner themselves.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➡️
Anyone who things a capo is for beginners must be a beginner themselves.
By definition.
Old 19th September 2012
Deleted User
I know that I 'admitted' that really good guitar players like Keith Richards use a capo for certain songs. Obviously there are players out there who are way more enthusiastic about capos than I am. Some of them are contributors to this forum.

Certain techniques like say open tunings open the door for new kinds of expression, and obviously these can be combined with the use of the capo to great effect. Knock yourself out and use these if they work for you.

Seriously, I'm not trying to diss half the forum, the capo-loving open tuners. I've just found that I like standard tunings (with no capo) better. It's not that I haven't tried it. On several occasions I have tried the Keith Richards 5 string thing, usually in the middle of putting on new strings. I mess around for a half an hour or so and then put on the sixth string. Maybe if I did some heroin or something I'd keep at it a little longer before going corporate with my six strings.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
This thread got me to thinking:

Anybody here ever tried using something like the Spyder capo in conjunction with alternate tunings?
Old 20th September 2012
Deleted User
Also, I know jazz isn't everybody's thing but this fellow managed to sound amazing without that device.

Joe Pass - Summertime [1992] - YouTube

But I also have to hand it to Joni Mitchell and the serendipitous effect that open tunings (1st) and capos (maybe) had on her songwriting. I vaguely recall her reaching for this device. I probably saw it on YouTube, that free video service. It's definitely not just barre chords.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Is a plectrum, wammy bar, open tuning or distortion peddle a crutch? Of course not, anyone who believes that has panoramic views of their own colon.

Learn your open chords dude, barre chords are cool but tonality/timbre is limited if that is all you do. There is something special about the sound of fretted notes with open strings.

One thing I like to do is drag open chords around the neck to get weird "WTF is that" chords. A capo allows doing this in different keys, and allows you to use open chords and have a finger free for little ornamental notes.
It is also a good tool for harmonising with another guitar player.

Hotel California is an example of a good song that uses a capo, playing it without just doesn't sound right.
Old 20th September 2012
Deleted User
Is Melbourne Music City? I'll have to check later after I get that plastic egg out of me colon. (that is from a famous Jim Jefferies routine). Seriously I get it, and I may well sacrifice (or assign) one of my guitars to be the open tuning axe.

Here's something about an unusual experience with one's colon. Very high payout.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaLcsKyGWpc
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Actually I think Tamworth is the official "Music City"
It has both kinds of music, country AND western.
And a really big guitar.
Good luck finding a capo that fits.

Old 20th September 2012
Deleted User
Looks like there's some drinking (ahem I mean tasting) going on.
Old 20th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Oh no, not Australian Country music! After watching The Loved Ones, every time I hear Casey Chambers I cringe.

I listen to Johnny Cash and hear something great, then I hear some newer stuff that is meant to be country and I think "what happened?"
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
I love Australian accents. I think that would be good when combined with country music lyrics right?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Capos can also be a great way to have two guitars in a band without them just playing the same voicing all night. My old band, the Pills, was all about XTC style guitar interplay and it was often a Gibson with humbuckers on one side and a tele with a capo on the other- great contrast back and forth all night. I was the bass player in the middle and it sure sounded cool from where I was standing.

I know all my chords up and down the neck, but I often use capos because of the sound the open voicings produce.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktadoussac ➡️
I love Australian accents. I think that would be good when combined with country music lyrics right?

Capo included
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Except the lyrics are terrible and with a few exceptions is a pale imitation of American Country Music. But then besides the man in black and David Allen Coe it isn't really my thing.
Do country players even use capos?
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➡️

Capo included
There's some strong support for using capos, but this one is a far cry from the open tuning mavericks -- ha ha he threw in a key change near the end of his song!
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
this fellow managed to sound amazing without that device.
I appreciate that Joe Pass vid.

Here's the other side of that coin.

Old 21st September 2012
Deleted User
I know it's hard to believe it, I'm not going give full credit to this forum and 'peer' pressure but I noticed that I had an extra Fender-style axe laying around the house so I said fuddle-duddle-it. I took off the sixth string and I tuned the remaining strings GDGBD -- an it's not so bad. In the past I reverted to standard tuning in about fifteen minutes, but it's not as weird as I thought it would be. I also found that with the middle three strings it plays like a normal guitar so it is still possible to do the usual lead ****.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny ➡️
I appreciate that Joe Pass vid.

Here's the other side of that coin.

I think Wes Montgomery is in the same vein as Joe Pass, lots of lead work with seamless octaves and three and four note chords thrown in. Standard tuning and a unique right thumb technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...7h2nkmO7k&NR=1
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Also, I know jazz isn't everybody's thing but this fellow managed to sound amazing without that device.

Joe Pass - Summertime [1992] - YouTube
My favorite player of all time. Famous for saying, "Never play an open note. It will put the audience to sleep." Funny, because I've seen him three times live, and he sure played at least a few open notes in the course of the night.
Deleted User
Albert Collins seems to be using a standard tuning -- with his capo. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I saw Joe Pass with Ella Fitzgerald at a summer concert early in the nineties. All I remember is he had tonnes of fluency and a seamless transition from chords, chord melody, to straight ahead melody.

Open strings are about the only strings that are in tune. It's a good idea to throw in a few of them -- you'll get some different open strings with a capo and some of them may well be in tune (if you retune after slapping on that capo).
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Albert Collins used his own weird tuning.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Albert Collins seems to be using a standard tuning -- with his capo. Correct me if I'm wrong.
He uses a F minor tuning F-C-F-Ab-C-F.
Have fun!
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Some more capo on bass goodness:
Bobby Mcferrin improvisation with Richard Bona - YouTube
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 ➡️
But then again...i only play barre chords lol.

What am i missing out on?
Everything...:D
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathromantik ➡️
Albert Collins used his own weird tuning.
And had the most helmet style hair next to gene Simmons lol. Still don't get why he used a capo. You can play the exact leads with With out them. So I stand by my point earlier. There is no need if you know your way around a guitar. Dexterity and knowing your chords.
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashez ➡️
There is no need if you know your way around a guitar. Dexterity and knowing your chords.
I suppose you could play "Here Comes the Sun" without a capo if that appeals to you, but only you will be impressed with yourself. The rest of us will say "it sounds wrong -- and you're sweating the effort WAY too much."

If you think a capo is just a barre chord crutch or a cheap way to change keys, you're not really exploring what it can do for you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Still don't get why he used a capo. You can play the exact leads with With out them.
Not really.

The open strings will resonate differently.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Been saying it for a while and now..Holy ****! GS is going to hell....
This has become like kids forum...
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny ➡️
Not really.

The open strings will resonate differently.
Actually, its not ONLY the open strings which will resonate differently:

Putting a capo on a guitar results in a considerable change with regard to resonance (even on the fretted notes).

...That's because a capo has quite a profound effect upon the acoustic properties of the instrument (even an electric instrument), and this effect is also dependent upon to which fret the capo is clamped.

Furthermore, there are other tonal effects dependent upon even your choice of capos. (For instance, a big metal capo has a more profound effect on the way the neck responds than does a lightweight elastic one.)

When you put a capo on a guitar, its not just like having a shorter neck on the instrument. Its more like you have a really long cantilevered head on the end of the "shorter neck", and the capo becomes the new "nut".

It totally changes everything about the internal acoustics of the instrument.
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
And had the most helmet style hair next to gene Simmons lol. Still don't get why he used a capo. You can play the exact leads with With out them. So I stand by my point earlier. There is no need if you know your way around a guitar. Dexterity and knowing your chords.
I was going to respond but it's not worth it yet.

Go learn how to play guitar, then after a year or so of lessons, come back here and delete your posts out of embarrassment.

Regards,
Frank
Closed