Lol why do ppl use capo's? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lol why do ppl use capo's?
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashez ➑️
Capos are for re tards who haven't got the dexterity to play different chord shapes in order to play different keys. It's easier. I'm sure alot of people will argue that point but that's the truth. You won't see Vai , Satriani or even the late Randy Rhodes who played in every key use one. These gentlemen of coarse were real guitarists unlike Sheryl Crowe.

Hmmm... no. It isn't true. The guitarist in my band uses a capo. You can't play what he does without a capo... unless you have 6 fingers on your fretting hand.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 ➑️
I just watched "Walk the Line" and (though I cant judge it for accuracy) didn't see one on Joaquim's (as Cash) guitar. I'm sure if Cash did use one, it'd been in the movie.
Lol
Johnny Cash-Walk The Line - YouTube
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Actually, capos can be used to give your guitar a completely different sound, like people have said, it makes the guitar into a shorter scale instrument. You also get a metal nut (ie, the fret you put the capo at, which gives a more metallic sound to open strings)

If you listen to Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings (a great acoustic guitar virtuoso), they use capos a lot and I believe it contributes to the sound.

I've become fascinated by capos lately, so that's why I felt I had to comment!

🎧 10 years
Rodrigo from Rodrigo y gabriella uses capos for certain pieces, and he's a vastly superior guitarist of that genre than Vai would ever even claim to be.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
this thread is gold... i have a client that uses capos but is adamant to learn the song without one cuz he loses it all the time... as a bonus he sits here paying me studio time while he learns his own song, i just have to make sure the tea pot is on...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdog ➑️
Lol thanks....I guess that explains why he puts a piece of paper in his strings too. In the movie, I think there was a scene where they have a dollar bill crammed up in there.

And pardon me for assuming that they'd pay that much attention to detail. I think in "Ray" they paid a lot more attention to it, but then again maybe I just got too into the movie and made the assumption. I know "Dewey Cox: Walk Hard" wasn't exactly accurate either lol.

Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
-Turn a standard guitar into a tenor guitar sound
-Offer key changes for popular open tunings
-Double a rhythm part with an alternate timbre
-Partial capo on the bottom strings, or mini capos to raise select strings
-Capo top five strings for a Drop D sound in the key of E
-The "open chord" sound anywhere up the fretboard
-etc...

It's just a tool. Seeing it as only a crutch exposes non-creative thinking.
Lives for gear

I only use the capo di tutti capo...
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
People who think guitar playing is about pulling more dexterous shapes than the others and having bigger cohones should take up kick boxing and spare the rest of us the resulting sound of their posturing.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeks ➑️
Can people really be this narrow-minded?

Oh yes they can, if:

1) They are extraordinarily stupid
2) They are extraordinarily arrogant
3) They know nothing about the subject, in this case guitar playing
4) They are trolls

It's my guess that the op fits one or more of these categories
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
If you spend your life playing barre chords, then a capo isn't going to do much for you. I graduated from that close to 30 years ago. However, try playing those mixed open-string Chet Atkins licks or open-string harmonics in a key other than G, and you'll see why a capo is sometimes necessary.

A capo also fundamentally alters the tone of the guitar. Put one at the 3rd fret, or the 7th fret, and you'll see the difference. It moves the tone of the guitar into a different region. Here Comes the Sun wouldn't sound the same if it weren't for George Harrison's use of the capo. Each position has it's own uses.

Also, after 35 years of playing, I have very bad carpal tunnel syndrome. A capo helps with that.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Im normally a bass player...but have fooling around with guitar on n off for about 4yrs. Ive NEVER used a capo though. I know what a capo DOES, just cant really figure out why u'd knock two or more frets off ur neck. But then again...i only play barre chords lol.

What am i missing out on? U can flame me if u want, i probly deserve it lol.
For someone with your background it's a quite reasonable question.

Of course, a guitarist who has a limited repertoire of chords may well use a capo in order to extend the number of keys he can play in.

But a well-rounded guitarist might use a capo because he likes certain chord voicings. Many acoustic guitarists and others have styles that revolve around open strings and tunings; a capo offers much greater flexibility with regard to key in that respect.

In an ensemble with multiple guitars, one or more guitarists might use capos to give them access to different chord voicings in order to complement what the other guitarist(s) are playing. An old Nashville trick is, if, say, the main rhythm guitar part is in A, one guitarist will play standard and the other will capo up two frets, allowing him to play voicings as though he were playing in G. With luck, the two parts will complement each other giving a rich sound.

Of course, a well-rounded guitarist can typically cover all the chords easily enough by barring -- but the voicings afforded by barre positions often leave much to be desired -- which is why jazz players have often played finger style, only plucking or striking individual strings in the chord inversions they desire to play.

Now, classical players (who frequently exploit open strings in their playing) also use capos. I've seen no less than Pepe Romero slapping a cheater on.

And acoustic guitar wizards like Bert Jansch, Rengourn, etc, have often used capos.

Even some jazz and blues players use capos. No less an icon than Gatemouth Brown (himself the object of admiration by a wide range of players, including Frank Zappa) frequently used capos (also because he exploited open strings). With a wide background that stretched from Texas blues to big band, Gate was scornfully dismissive of those who derided the lowly capo.

I think I'll save the flames for the guy below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashez ➑️
Capos are for re tards who haven't got the dexterity to play different chord shapes in order to play different keys. It's easier. I'm sure alot of people will argue that point but that's the truth. You won't see Vai , Satriani or even the late Randy Rhodes who played in every key use one. These gentlemen of coarse were real guitarists unlike Sheryl Crowe.
If you're simply grinding out single note leads, of course, there's generally little point in using a capo.

But some of us have more on our mind that endless single note noodling.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Capos are wonderful things, I own any number of them. I own some that are partial capos, some that are full, I have a capo for my banjo which is pretty interesting.

As has been pointed out, capos change the essential character of the guitar in ways that simply playing barre chords doesn't.

They can be very inspirational, also... it's hard to describe, but you will just find new sounds when you capo.

I'm so tired of guitar heroism. It's just another instrument.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
It's a guitar thing, bass players just wouldn't understand. That's why they play bass.
I play bass bcz I like to thump out fat bass lines that make chicks shake their asses, not bcz I "don't understand guitar"
Gear Guru
Are you saying you have a good grasp of theory and chordal composition, but can't understand why a guitar player would want to use a different chord voicing with a capo?

I'll let the peanut gallery take that one on.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah, right... ➑️
Oh yes they can, if:

1) They are extraordinarily stupid
2) They are extraordinarily arrogant
3) They know nothing about the subject, in this case guitar playing
4) They are trolls

It's my guess that the op fits one or more of these categories
Dude I'm the op.....and I didn't say that.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Are you saying you have a good grasp of theory and chordal composition, but can't understand why a guitar player would want to use a different chord voicing with a capo?

I'll let the peanut gallery take that one on.
Shut up dude.

Chord structure on a 6-string guitar is FAR different than on a 4-string bass. Give me a break. I was just inquiring into when/why a guitarist uses one and the question was already answered VERY WELL but ppl WAY before ur dumb fkn comments.

Man...love having to unsubscribe from my own threads
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's a guitar thing, bass players just wouldn't understand. That's why they play bass.
I've used a capo on my fretless bass in order to exploit open strings for certain techniques. Never say never.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I play bass bcz I like to thump out fat bass lines that make chicks shake their asses, not bcz I "don't understand guitar"
Thank you! heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Stupid question.
Like why do 7 string guitars exist or why are jumbo models available.

Instruments are not worship material, they are tools. Use whatever you want to make music sound amazing.

Deleted 4205102

This thread should never have even been started. If you don't know how a capo is useful, maybe you should put the strings down and try drums.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My first thought at reading the thread title was that this has to be a parody-thread.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
a bass player who wouldn't understand such things is only playing half the instrument ( which is fine)! Pastorius capo'ed his bass occasionally! A much harder instrument to play well... good bass players are worth their weight in coke.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Not entirely sure I want to get involved in this at all really but this video I made recently might help somebody I guess if not the OP!

🎧 10 years
skip to the end of the video fellahs for an perfect example of why capo's are great sonic tools...cheers Graham.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Young ➑️
Not entirely sure I want to get involved in this at all really but this video I made recently might help somebody I guess if not the OP!

Ha ha - perfect!

Consider this thread closed...
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I capo my guitars/basses/baritones all the time..you guys think too much... If it gets you the sound you want then that's all that matters..
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Some very stupid initial replies here.

Certain chords or even just harmonies of notes which rely on open strings can not be played as barre chords further up the neck without a capo. Also, lets say you compose a song with a certain set of chords which contain open strings and you simply want to change the key without altering all the chord voicings - certain strumming or picking may be reliant on the shapes staying the same. Then often you need a capo. Even if it's possible to play it all barre, it may be much more difficult.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've got one of these although I don't use it much:

The Musicroom | Scott Tuning Capo

It's a bit fiddly but one thing you do with some standard capos is not capo the low E string but capo the rest. That can get you some interesting results.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

the spider capo looks interesting, anyone tried it ?
Closed