The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Piccolo bass guitars
Old 23rd May 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato ➡️
When I traveled with Wayman Tisdale's band (as bass/guitar tech)*, the keyboardist held down the low end with his left hand ehen Wayman played piccolo bass (which was about half the show). It sounded great that way.

The piccolo bass guitar is indeed a unique solo voice. Because of the difference in scale length and string gauge, it sounds much different from a guitar.

*check out the link I attached on post #3 of this thread.
Hello I play just the way Wayman Tisdale play upside down but still find it difficult to achieve the sound he had . What effects did he use?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
Try "regular guitar minus the two high strings"......

Or "vanity instrument for bassists who really wish they were lead guitarists".
I take it you havent listened to anything by Primus, John.

Agreed I don't really see the point in piccolos FOR ME as a bassist but there are folks out there who use them and produce sounds and tones that are nothing like what guitarists do.
Next thing, you'll be saying my baritone should be burnt at the stake & all those guys tuning regular guitars down to C and below should be right there with them.

How do you feel about seven and eight string guitars?
Do they count as basses with three or four strings too many, or guitars with just a couple too many? :D

The world has moved on from the "strawberry or vanilla (or chocolate!)" of there only being 4, 6 or 12 stringers of a long time ago.
Come to think of it, how do you feel about tenor guitars?

And I am in the middle of putting together an alto guitar tuned to high A.
Very short scale indeed and should give me a nicely different sound to an electric mandola or my Mandouki.
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc ➡️
I take it you havent listened to anything by Primus, John.
Of course I have.

Quote:
Agreed I don't really see the point in piccolos FOR ME as a bassist but there are folks out there who use them and produce sounds and tones that are nothing like what guitarists do.
And not much like basses do, either.

Maybe cello?

Quote:
Next thing, you'll be saying my baritone should be burnt at the stake & all those guys tuning regular guitars down to C and below should be right there with them.
Well, the thing about a baritone guitar is that it still functions like a guitar, musically. A piccolo bass doesn't really - it can't hold down the bass, which is the primary function of a bass instrument.

Tuning regular guitars to C? That's a whole other can of worms, but again, the guitars are still playing guitar parts (The fact that they're playing them in a register physically inappropriate to the scale length of the instrument notwithstanding.)

Quote:
How do you feel about seven and eight string guitars?
Do they count as basses with three or four strings too many, or guitars with just a couple too many? :D
Guitars with too many damn strings, obviously. They don't have the tonal reach to hold down a bass part properly.

Nine string guitars (with the low 3 set up as singles and the top 3 sets like a 12 string) are a different story.

Quote:
The world has moved on from the "strawberry or vanilla (or chocolate!)" of there only being 4, 6 or 12 stringers of a long time ago.
Come to think of it, how do you feel about tenor guitars?
Funny you'd ask. When I was a kid my parents sent me to summer camp. There was a counselor who used to lead us kids in singing Kingston Trio and campfire songs, accompanying himself (and us) on a tenor guitar, which is what got me interested in playing in the first place. Sometimes another counselor would join in with his 6 string.

However, since I actually started learning to play I've found tenor guitars to be pretty limited and pointless.

Quote:
And I am in the middle of putting together an alto guitar tuned to high A.
Very short scale indeed and should give me a nicely different sound to an electric mandola or my Mandouki.
Sounds interesting - how many strings?

Do you think it will sound much different than simply using a capo at the 5th fret?

FWIW, we keep a Squier Strat tuned to Nashville around to double rhythm parts with on stuff.
Old 24th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think a lot of my feelings about un-basses and un-guitars are related to my own vocal range.
I got into baritone in the first place because I am most comfortable singing stuff at least a couple of tones lower than your average rock and roll singer/shouter.
I used to do House of the Rising Sun in E, for instance.
Didnt like detuning guitars, so I bought a baritone and since then got interested in other "in-between" instruments.
The Alto I am building mostly because a regular guitar capo'd at 5 sound like a capo'd guitar, whereas I already know the baritone sounds "right" to me in the lower registers without sounding like a bass. I have ONE track on soundcloud with a very rough lead part done on the bari, purely because of the key of the song. I'll give you a link if you are interested.

Back to the Alto, I tried stringing a friends kiddy Les Paul copy with eights and tuned to A. Totally different sound to a capod regular tuning and of course the string tension feels right.

Nashville tuning? I know it works ad I have played guitars set up for it, but it doesn't feel at all comfortable for me. Strawberry and vanilla, I guess.
Old 25th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojazz ➡️
Hello I play just the way Wayman Tisdale play upside down but still find it difficult to achieve the sound he had . What effects did he use?
Not much. Most of the time it was just a dry signal going into the amp. For live gigs he didn't have a huge pedal board or anything. Just a few stomp boxes. The only pedal I remember specifically was a Boss Metal Zone distortion box for when he wanted to shred on piccolo bass. And maybe one of those gray Boss reverb/delay pedals, but I'm not sure. I wish I could remember more, but it's been over 15 years since I had that gig.

Oh yeah - The amp he preferred for backline was a GK 800RB.
Old 26th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc ➡️
...I am in the middle of putting together an alto guitar tuned to high A.
I have played one of Tony Yamamoto Reverie guitars, very cool and something I would very much find use for.

Yamamoto Guitar - Models
Old 26th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
Tuning regular guitars to C? That's a whole other can of worms, but again, the guitars are still playing guitar parts (The fact that they're playing them in a register physically inappropriate to the scale length of the instrument notwithstanding.)
I have a Yamamoto MS-12 and tune it to C-G-D-G-B-E fairly often, but then the scale length varies from 25.5"-27" so it does retain a balanced tone and feel when playing it tuned as such.

Photo Copyright Tony Yamamoto 2011
Attached Thumbnails
Piccolo bass guitars-yamamoto-ms12-114-800-008.jpg  
📝 Reply