Fender Cabronita - Tele style with a twist - looks great

Tasty looking

Cabronita Telecaster® by Fender Electric Guitars

Not sure about the name, mind you! "Little Goat"

Curious about the Fideli'tron pickup spec
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what are the odds that 95% of users pull those pickups and put in p90's?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm thinking......leave that Fideli’Tron™ at the neck, drop in a P94 at the bridge and then see what happens.
Old 13th September 2012
GS Community Manager

I always thought that it was 'Little Bastard' !!

Anyway, the Custom Shop has been putting out variants of these for years. John Mayer is a noted aficionado... IMO though those are way too much money for a slab o' wood with some nice pickups. The Mexican pricetag is much more reasonable!

If you want a genuine MIA version but without the Custom Shop price tag you have to track down one of the limited run Telebration editions they did last year. It has genuine TV Jones 'Trons too... but they only made 1000 total (500 each of black and sunburst). There still seem to be a few out there available for around £1,300.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The original custom shop models had TV Jones Filtertrons in them, and they are sweet, sweet guitars--though not at the price they charge for them. These new MIM versions are pretty cool, too, though the pick-ups are a downgrade--they're using the same p-ups that they put stock in the Gretsch Electromatic line. Okay sounding, but not Filtertrons. The cheaper Cabronita also doesn't have the phase flip switch on the tone pot, which yields some really cool extra tones.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla ➡️
The original custom shop models had TV Jones Filtertrons in them, and they are sweet, sweet guitars--though not at the price they charge for them. These new MIM versions are pretty cool, too, though the pick-ups are a downgrade--they're using the same p-ups that they put stock in the Gretsch Electromatic line. Okay sounding, but not Filtertrons. The cheaper Cabronita also doesn't have the phase flip switch on the tone pot, which yields some really cool extra tones.
Go TV jones if you want the full Le cab experience.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip ➡️
Go TV jones if you want the full Le cab experience.
Already done, chum.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
GS Community Manager

Quote:
The cheaper Cabronita also doesn't have the phase flip switch on the tone pot, which yields some really cool extra tones.
This could be user-installed for about £35 and some solder though... if one was so inclined!
Old 28th September 2012
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm about to pull the trigger on my 2nd Le Cab/esquire. Really been wanting something that's was unique, currently specking out a Rebel Relic, but ala Sir Billy Gibons, with a Pearly Gates for a full on rock thing. Also going to fit a B16, either way they are great guitars.
Old 17th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
These new MIM versions are pretty cool, too, though the pick-ups are a downgrade--they're using the same p-ups that they put stock in the Gretsch Electromatic line.
You sure? I was under the impression these are just re-branded regular Gretsch Filtertrons that Gretsch would put in their regular Japanese models. Curious now...
Old 17th October 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Cabronito - I always thought it meant Little "worthless/lazy" Donkey
Old 19th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHayes ➡️
You sure? I was under the impression these are just re-branded regular Gretsch Filtertrons that Gretsch would put in their regular Japanese models. Curious now...
Pretty sure they are not Filtertrons, as evidenced by Fender's new name for them--Fideli-tron--close but not quite the same. May be close in design intent, but not in sound

Most of the premium, US-made Gretschs these days use TV Jones p-ups, which are very faithful reproductions of the original Filtertrons. I own three Grestchs--an older Silverjet with Filtertrons, a recent Superjet with TV Jones, and an Electromatic Duojet--the p-ups in the latter evoke some of the hallmark Filtertron sounds, but they lack a lot of the depth, versatility, and character of the originals (and the TVJs)
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…