Quantcast
Ada mp-1 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ada mp-1
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Ada mp-1

Picked up on of these, little noisy but killer sound when dialed in correct.

So I would like to know how many guitarist still use these ?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Had one from 92 to 2010, ran it into an SPX90 and then an ADA MicroCab speaker emulator. really enjoyed it.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama ➑️
Had one from 92 to 2010, ran it into an SPX90 and then an ADA MicroCab speaker emulator. really enjoyed it.
So you used it w/o a tube/amp I assume.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Had one for a while. Omega amps mods it for less noise IIRC...
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
So you used it w/o a tube/amp I assume.
Correct; it was when I was in my rack phase and ran it direct through my signal chain in stereo either into:
MT2X 4-Track tape
Audiomedia III
Digi 001
Digi 002R
Live - Mackie 1202 mixer into stereo PA.

Made recording cranked amp sounds possible without getting evicted, and gigging was super easy... I then got into older Fender amps and am happy with those now for my tone + pedals.

ADA Mods
These people also do mods and almost thought about it when mine died and didn't want to spend the $$

Edit - just clicked on the link; they've stopped doing mods.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I dig mine. Id buy another if this one croaked.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Man, the MP-1 was as ubiquitous as SPX90s back in the day. They were must-have gear in the 80s and early 90s--though they don't seem to have become desirable the way old Linns or Junos have.

I remember borrowing one for a session. Fun unit, lots of interesting sounds. Did the hair metal thing to a T.
Old 19th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I havent plugged mine in since i got the JMP-1. Very unique sound, i'd probably play it more if i had a cab sim.
Old 20th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The MP-1 Classic has a built in amp sim and an extra "brown" channel, less noise and no compressor. Some people don't like the gain channel as much as the original though.
Mine has been out of commission for quite a while now, I really miss it.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have not played one in years (never owned one) but as someone else said, the MP-1 with those 2x12 cabs were on the back of every GFTPM back in the day.

I have heard from a lot of people that upgrading the firmware to the newer version makes them not sound as good. I believe it was Michael Wagner who said this, I could be mistaken, but I have heard it from others as well.
Old 27th September 2012
Eat
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
used to have 2 that i ran thru those mosvalve brand named amps. they were nice. i only sold them cuz i didn't need them anymore.

there is/was a big users site. can't recall the name.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I couldn't tell a difference when I upgraded the firmware in '96. Definitely heard an improvement with better preamp tubes.
Old 27th September 2012
Eat
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i also used them with a bbe. i know a lot of people don't like using them but i thought it really helped focus and smooth the tone out
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
just looked through some folders on my hard drive; I have all the old ADA Depot mod PDF's, including:
Battery Mod
Level switch Mod
Noise Mod
Stock Gain Mod
Rear Input Jack Conversion Mod
Effects Loop Mod

I've also got a folder of schematics.

PM me if you'd like me to send them; I'll send next week.
Old 4th October 2012
Gear Guru

I always preferred a Marshall JMP-1
Old 11th October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have the original. Only mod I've done is the battery mod. Running it through a super c noise gate then into a Peavey classic 50 / 50 tube power amp. Using two ADA 2x12 split cabs. Sounds killer! Still trying to find a good effects rack I like with it. Tried a Quadraverb. The effects are good but I don't like the EQ. Colors the tone too much for me. Just received a Lexicon MX200 & it sounds really nice. Just don't like the midi settings on the unit. Anyone have some suggestions?

Darrall
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
ADA

ADA was an interesting company, my music store in the 80's was a dealer, I'm still using an MC-1 midi patch selector pedal to control the midi effects on my guitar rig.

I sold quite a few of the the ADA midi preamps, a very popular combination was the MP-1, Crown power amp and Marshall 4x12 cab. Personally I ALWAYS preferred the sound of a real tube amp but the MP-1 offered programmable settings you could switch between in a heartbeat and that was popular with musicians who were gigging a lot and need versatility.

My personal guitar rig back then was constantly changing but I usually worked with two guitar amps and a pan pedal so I could send my guitar to either amp in varying quantity, one amp set clean and one set for crunch, both Fender's I modded.

For me the MP-1 was missing one trait I value highly in a tube amp, the ability to back down my guitar and have the sound clean up. The MP-1 sort of did this because it had real tubes in it but it still had more blur than I liked, even with the guitar backed down to almost off.

I never got the MP-1 to sound right without playing it through a cabinet.
I remember a metal band that came to record in our store-studio, the MP-1 driving a bridged Crown 300 into a Marshall 4x12, turned up REAL LOUD made some amazing recordings. I was glad I got to sit in the control room, it was WAY to freaking loud out in the studio, and it was a 3500 sq ft room with 18 foot ceilings. It was LOUD.

We recorded it with an SM-57 and an RE-20 to a Fostex 16 track, that recording got the guitar player into a major touring act that was signed to a real record deal (which went nowhere lol).

I'm glad to see people still using and liking the ADA. Wish I could find one of their old flanger pedals in cherry condition, now that was the sound!

Good music to all!
Old 14th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think we all heard you the first time.
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you were a "serious" shredder in the late-80s, you needed to own this. It retailed for around $700 back then, so probably its today price was around twice that. Not an inexpensive piece of gear.

It was unique in its time that there weren't any other programmable preamps, but it also did have a great sound. It was very sharp and hot sounding, and the top was glassier than a distortion pedal. It did sound like a real amp. It was also pretty noisy. So a typical rack also had another space for a hush noise gate.

The reason the programmable preamp was important was because digitech started the multi-fx revolution and everyone needed a preamp that could switch by midi to use with their FX processor. In this time period, Rocktron also had a Pro-GAP preamp which was an analog solid state version of the same thing which i also owned brieftly. The rocktron had more versatile EQ, but in general it didnt catch on as much. Later entries in this vein were the JMP-1 and the rocktron Piranha (which I also owned which is great piece imo).

Shreddy music was killed by grunge in the early 90s, so everyone dumped their racks and went to more traditional head/cab or combo. (Or just kept their racks in their basement.) In a way, the MP-1 was ahead of its time, it wasn't until late 90s that multiFX processors returned, although rack mount midi preamps were few and far between.

Not until the past 5-7 years, intricate shreddy music was viewed as an abberation. Its nice to see younger players with access to the internet revive these older styles.
Old 27th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I got one for 100 bucks on EBAY a few years back
I really like it
I run it through a solid state amp and direct to my PC Soundblaster X-FI

I'm too much of a wussy to TRY and mod it...lol...Haven't touched a soldering iron in 20 years.....
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Still have mine but only fire it up occasionally. I ran/run mine through a Mesa Boogie 50/50 power amp into Marshall 4x12s. Great combination.
Old 27th June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
i have an MP1 running into a rackmount Marshall stereo EL34 power amp into a Jackson 4X12 cab. Does very nice high gain tones.
Old 28th June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm shocked no one has mentioned Deerhoof. Their guitar player used one on their early albums. And last time i saw them in 2008 he still was using it live. Gets some convincing cranked plexi tones.
Old 30th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Used to have one but had to sell it back in the day. I didn't record then-- only used it live. It was great. I had the foot controller and being able to pair channel selection with settings on and effects unit was great. I may need to go find one...
Old 30th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Don't forget Les Claypool! He was in guitar magazine ads pushing the MB-1 but he had the MP-1 in his rack.
Old 10th July 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I just found one on CL for $125 with the footswitch and manual. OG with the switch on top.

SOUNDS CRAZY!!!!

Def nails the hot rodded Marshall sound. We have a Soldano Super Lead Slave 105 Power Amp at the studio that I plugged it into to try it out. I have an SLO clone that I built and have owned about 6 JMP/800 era marshalls, some that were tweaked and hotrodded. This can get you there with a few edits, but the tonestack gives it it's own voice. And much cheaper than a JMP with a Friedman mod.

Glad I saw this thread a week ago. My CL curiosity paid off. Can't wait to try it on a metal band!!!

d.
πŸ“ Reply