anyone tried basswood body + maple top? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
anyone tried basswood body + maple top?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
anyone tried basswood body + maple top?

Hi,

I remember John Suhr's guitar woods guide and how he described a basswood body + maple top as the Holy Grail of tone.
I don't know any guitar with basswood body + maple top available in the area, except some Sterling that may, or may not, live up to their hype.

Has anyone tried a (very) good basswood body + maple top guitar? Is it really that good, or would you rather go for a more traditional mahogany body + maple top?

Thanks
Old 12th September 2012
ST.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Schattenmann,

I have never read Mr. Suhr's guitar woods guide, but that sounds like an interesting statement.

My experiences with basswood bodies have been mediocre. My basswood guitar was topless, though. Considering that the statement is attributed to Mr. Suhr, I will give him the benefit of the doubt .

On to your question-- I have never tried a basswood body with a maple top. However, after I had purchased my Aerdoyne Strat years ago, I was hit with a slight case of buyers remorse; a year or so later they had released a very nice looking upgraded version with a flame maple top. I never got around to trying one, which is unfortunate because as far as I know the new Aerodynes have gone topless yet again.

I'm not sure about the routing on that era of Aerodynes... the pickguard suggests that of a traditional strat. I don't know if that means HSH or not. However, my Aerodyne was routed for single coils and had no pickguard... so the pots and selector switch were accessible from the rear.

At any rate, you might be able to find an Aerodyne with a maple top for cheap. Pickup customization will, of course, depend on the routing situation.

Incidentally, the newer ones have a contoured heel. I'm not sure about the ones of the era in question.

I hope that helps.

Good luck
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenmann ➡️
Hi,

I remember John Suhr's guitar woods guide and how he described a basswood body + maple top as the Holy Grail of tone.
I don't know any guitar with basswood body + maple top available in the area, except some Sterling that may, or may not, live up to their hype.

Has anyone tried a (very) good basswood body + maple top guitar? Is it really that good, or would you rather go for a more traditional mahogany body + maple top?

Thanks
Warmoth was promoting that combination some years ago. I'm not sure anymore, but I think that the basswood just wasn't very special looking to me. But you can see examples on their site. Haven't been there in years but it used to be a great place to visit.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
A lot of boutique strat-style guitars actually have basswood/maple bodies as default. Suhr, Anderson, Zion, Melancon, Grosh, etc. I've played a bunch of them (and own quite a few) and they all sound amazing. In fact the Zion for sale in my sig is also basswood/quilt maple top combo (let me know if you're interested - maybe we could work out a deal ).
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds like a nice combination- am I right in thinking it'd be a fair bit brighter than the more common mahogany/maple?

I have a Strat with a basswood body (no cap) and one piece maple neck/fingerboard. Really energetic, sweet sound.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Basswood with a maple top is a great combo. Music Man Axis guitars (and the original EVH plus the recent Reflex, w/mahogany tone block and tone chambers) feature this configuration ... they sound great.

I love alder, ash and mahogany+maple too. IMO, which wood a guitar is made from is secondary to which particular piece of wood it is made from and the skill and discretion of who made it. I've owned and played examples of all of the above that have ranged from sounding just OK to utterly amazing.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…