Quantcast
Pedals doing A-D & D-A? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pedals doing A-D & D-A?
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Pedals doing A-D & D-A?

Ok, so I was looking at the Digitech iStomp pedals and it occurred to me that there is no way this pedal spits out a signal that hasn't gone thru a A-D, D-A conversion. which means every similar pedal you use is running your guitar thu digital converters every time you use it (not in bypass, I'm sure). Roland COSM pedals etc. I would think this is a really bad thing, yes?
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think it can be. There is some pedal which offer a feature to mix dry+wet, which is good for these digital pedals. It can let you keep the original tone then just mix in some of the wet effected signal.

such as ones made by Psionic Audio - Triad preamp mixer & boost pedal for guitar - Overview
Old 9th September 2012

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If the end result sounds good, who really cares. Guitar tone does not require a full range hifi response, and guitar players are not very sensitive to noise. The few ms of delay through converters isn't much greater than the delay caused by the speed of sound through air from a guitar cab some distance away ... you won't notice it unless you are already pre-disposed to hate on digital anyway.

Anything from Line6 or TC or Digitech will be fully digital. Some Boss stuff is digital mixed with analog clean path, but the bigger pedals and COSM stuff is generally full digital.

I think the latency can be an issue if you connect too many pedals together ... that's why I tend to use my POD HD for everything if I want digital convenience for live, or use analog if I want ultimate tone for studio use.
📝 Reply