gigging amp advice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
gigging amp advice
Old 26th March 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
gigging amp advice

Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for nearly 2 years now but I have always relied on Amp Sims (Guitar Rig/Amplitube). I just completed an album for a singer and I will be playing guitar live with him when he starts promoting later this spring. Since I've been using sims, I think it's time to invest in a real amp. I had these 2 scenarios, which do you think would be better? Or is there another product(s) I should look at instead?

Boss FS-6 Pedal Boss FS-6 | Sweetwater.com
Roland Cube Street Roland CUBE Street (Black) | Sweetwater.com

or get
Roland GT10

If I get this I would just have to hook up to the PA speakers the singer already owns.

Thanks!
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you don't have a powered monitor; get an amp. You can always mic or run a line from an amp to the PA, but if you can't hear yourself, you're in for a lot of problems.

So choice should be amp, modeler + powered monitor. Don't leave the ability to hear yourself in the singerr's hands.
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

Guitar thru pa speakers sounds like ass. Get yourself a little amp. There are a lot of options these days.
Old 26th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by litepipe ➑️
Guitar thru pa speakers sounds like ass. .
That statement is a bit too broad...

What PA? Yes, through crappy Behringer speakers it will sound like ass. Through QSC 12" mains? Better. Through a JBL VRX line array with 4 18" subs? won't sound too bad. With large enough systems, the amp will be mic'd to be heard through the PA anyway, and usually live sound people try to make it not sound like ass...

Without knowing the PA system the singer has, what kind of music or what size venues they're playing, an amp will work great. A modeler through a good PA may sound great; he'll still need a floor monitor to hear himself.
Old 26th March 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the response guys. I'm working with an R&B singer. He typically sings at small to medium sized venues like Nightclubs and restaurants. No stadium gigs yet. He is using QSC K8 speakers. So would something like a Fender Super Champ 15w tube amp with a boss ME20 do the trick? Thanks again!
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Definitely an amp; I'd want something a little bigger like a Deluxe Reverb for clean headroom. And don't bother putting it through those K8's - they're great for the singer, but not for much else going through them.
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Do you need a clean sound? Do you want channel switching or will you do the distortion sounds with pedals? Are you climbing a lot of stairs?

For a gig where you're not micing the guitar cab, competing with the singer and I've got to think a drum machine or drummer and something for bass, then you're going to need 15w at least. There are a lot of different flavors out there, but you could do far worse than a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Plan on replacing the speaker (it's not great and you can improve the sound and cut the weight by using the Jensen Neo speaker) and putting in slightly better tubes (Tung Sol reissue for example). It takes pedal wells, too.
Old 27th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama ➑️
That statement is a bit too broad...

What PA? Yes, through crappy Behringer speakers it will sound like ass. Through QSC 12" mains? Better. Through a JBL VRX line array with 4 18" subs? won't sound too bad. With large enough systems, the amp will be mic'd to be heard through the PA anyway, and usually live sound people try to make it not sound like ass...

Without knowing the PA system the singer has, what kind of music or what size venues they're playing, an amp will work great. A modeler through a good PA may sound great; he'll still need a floor monitor to hear himself.
I don't think it's too broad. I don't like the sound of direct guitar into the pa. I've played though many a system from huge to small. Nothing beats a real amp. Putting a mic on it and running it through the pa is a completely different situation.

DI, amp sims, etc.. Sound dead to me. No life. Some people make it work and that's cool. I just don't like it. An amp is part of the instrument or me.
Old 28th March 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks again guys. I spoke to someone at Guitar center and he recommended the 100w Fender Mustang 3 with a footswitch. I'm going to go check it out later this week. I play a deluxe reverb pretty often because the Best Buy by my house sells it. That sucker is heavy lol!
Old 28th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo ➑️
Thanks for the response guys. I'm working with an R&B singer. He typically sings at small to medium sized venues like Nightclubs and restaurants. No stadium gigs yet. He is using QSC K8 speakers. So would something like a Fender Super Champ 15w tube amp with a boss ME20 do the trick? Thanks again!
Fender SuperChamp XDs are one of those less known amps that work really well in low to medium sized venues and you could always PA with a mic if you want more volume. Some also replace the built-in speaker with a 105 SPL 10" speaker like Rajun Cajuns and then it's the loudest you could get for a 15W tube amp and that's pretty loud *). Only drawback is that 10" speakers are somewhat more boxy than 12" ones but for a lot of R&B/funk that works well. You could really get that chimy Fender sound. So yes I'm a proponent of those amps, used them quite a lot for jams and other similar sessions.

I have a ME-50 usually in front of it, so with that and the amp switch you could nurse plenty of effects and sounds for nearly any gig you want to do. To be fair I'm a Marshall guy so I use a 50W JCM 900 combo for most gigs but I take the SCXD for jams and where I need that Fender sparkle sound.

*) Once I borrowed my SCXD to a guitar player at a jam and it was placed next to a Line 6 2x12 Spider. I was afraid my SCXD would drown next to this 2x12 amp. The opposite happened -- it was quite hilarious to see how a 15W tube amp was beating a 100W 2x12 solid state amp!
πŸ“ Reply