Quantcast
epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom Plus Bullseye w/ EMG 81/85's? help me ! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom Plus Bullseye w/ EMG 81/85's? help me !
Old 2nd March 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom Plus Bullseye w/ EMG 81/85's? help me !

I only got $800 and it took me a long a$$ time to get that! I love bands like deftones, glassjaw, chiodos & tool.

I record directly into my E-MU 1616m pcie & that's that , I have no other options due to my living situation & finances...

I have a cheap starter guitar that I put some EMG 81/85's in, but when i add distortion using Guitar Rig 4 , it sounds very muffled like the sound of listening to a metal band play while your standing outside the venue building.

Also the hardware & body is shot to $hit, so i sold it on craigslist ,so i'm guitar-less now

I've been looking into guitars in my price range ( $800 ) and the epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom Plus Bullseye seems decent from what i've read. Also , i like the EMG actives because i can sit in my computer room / spaceship & not get crazy feed back from all the electronics simultaneously running.

I guess ultimately I'm looking for a guitar for around $800 that will give me very defined , bright , screaming sounds like if you were F'd up on LSD and the notes were gracefully swirling around your head !!!!!!!! j/k

somebody throw me a bone ! is the epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom Plus Bullseye w/ EMG 81/85's the way i should go ?

I'm a broke P.O.S. so I need to make sure i get the right guitar, because i wont have $$$ again anytime soon if i make the wrong decision. Recording quality is the most important thing to me , i'm not concerned with looks or how the guitar feels when i hold it

thank you for your time ! any 2 cents or seasoned suggestions are severely appreciated !
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hear you. You're not a POS for being broke BTW.
Thing is this and feel free to disagree: But don't buy a signature guitar. Thye are often overpriced and not any better than standard models. Besides the Zakk model may be set up to shred (never played one) which does not seem to suit your tastes. All of this is moot if you insist on the look of the ZW model, which IMO is dopey. Be your own person. Don't get caught up too much in look, but rather the sound. A used Gibson LP studio may do the trick as well.
But I would buy an Epi LP Standard. Rip out the pickups as the stockers are never great at that price and put in some real Gibson pickups or DiMarzios depending on how hot you want them and you'll be around your price maybe less. I know a guy who did this and damned if I can tell the difference in a blind folded test with a $2000 Gibby. He also put in a cancelling pot to swich the bridge pickup to a single coil, by cancelling the top part of the pickup for a unique lead sound. Kind of like a single coil in a mahogany LP- VERY interesting sound.
I've never been an active pickup guy and most humbuckers are not noisy at all and don't require additional power. Just sit further away from your additional gear. PLUS feedback can be a very musical friend if you can keep it from getting out of hand.
Just try out different guitars. Don't drive yourself nuts by thinking it will be your last one as most decent guitars do not depreciate and you can always sell it. This being the case: I have found signature models do depreciate quite a bit more.
Let us know how you make out.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Check out Agile guitars from Rondo music.. not the lower line SX/Douglas. Agile are Korean made - and every bit as nice as an equivalent ESP/Schecter/Ibanez/Epi.. and WAY cheaper. They also have all kinds of crazy extended range stuff - long scale, 7/8/9 string, fan-frets, etc.

Check the 'baritone guitars' thread for a picture of my two baritones from Agile.

A guitar that's every bit as nice as the Epi you're looking at will be 3-400 from Agile.. cheaper if you hang around the agile guitar forum and pick up a used one.

Scroll to the bottom of this thread - these two guitars were both <$425
https://gearspace.com/board/instrume...e-guitars.html
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Head

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Gotta agree. I prefer agile and tradition guitars over epiphones lp style guitars!

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
i would go for an ec 1000 for sure
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I picked up a used Epi les paul custom for $500 recently. It just had the "right" feel and sound.
Stock pickups even, I have no desire to change them. The guitar sounds amazing.

I did have my tech tweak it out otherwise, though.
New bridge, bone nut, good wiring and new switch etc.
I also had him take all the potentiometers out of the circuit.
The wiring simply goes pickups -> switch -> jack.
That might sound crazy, but I do hear a difference. More harmonics, more air, more "life" in the sound.
Not night and day difference, but worth it to me since I always play with everything up full anyway.
(I'm starting to believe that these types of upgrades are far more important than replacing pickups.
IE: playability, purity of tone that the instrument is actually producing acoustically,
quality of internal wiring etc. Pickups are last on my list these days, unless
they just sound "wrong")

I have been in heaven playing this guitar lately. It just sings/screams/crushes...
Fills the room with huge clear sound.

So glad I bought it!

don't count Epiphones out, it really just comes down to the individual guitar.
I played about 6 different used Epi Les Pauls in the store on the day I bought mine.
None of the others were even close. Just find one you like, put some cash into a couple upgrades and
you will be rolling with a great guitar!

don't worry too much about brand names one way or another.
Although, speaking of brand names, I've owned probably 3 or 4 different cheap
Les Pauls over the years. The finest stock example by far was a Samick Greg Bennet model.
Really nice guitar. Still prefer my new Epi custom, but that Samick was
a great "cheap" les paul.

EDIT: I've never played an Agile or Tradition guitar, but they do look really nice!
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Zakk Wylde Signature

Actually, the Gibson Custom Shop Zakk Wylde Signature is the one to buy. It's a seriously kick ass guitar, but at $4500 or so it's a little out of your price range....

If you want EMG's, I would agree with dimag 333 that the ESP Ltd. EC-1000 is worth looking into. It's assembled in Korea, but the build quality is surprisingly good. We've got the translucent blue one with EMG's (gotta watch out, some of the colors use different pickup configurations) and it plays really nicely. Buyer beware though, we tried several in the store and the playability was all over the map, so you need to try a few to get one with a good feel.

Dave/Suspect Studios

.: Suspect Studios :.
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Got another potential candidate for you - the Fender Jim Root (Slipknot) Signature Telecaster. It's going to be hard to beat the crisp, bright tones of EMG's loaded into a Tele body. It's a little out of your price range (lists at $1,499 I think), but you could do used or maybe get lucky at your local dealer. We found one about a year ago at our local guitar dealer tagged at $1,299, but some serious arm twisting with the store manager got it out the door at $899, tax included, but that may be more a function of dealer markup of Fender products than our negotiating skills. Not sure it's still in production at Fender, but definitely worth checking out...

Dave/Suspect Studios

.: Suspect Studios :.
πŸ“ Reply