The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar Tuner?
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Guitar Tuner?

Im looking for a good guitar tuner.

I usually use my PodXT to tune my guitar, but i think theres something wrong as when i tune according to what it says, when i play, it sounds WAY out of tune.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on a good guitar tuner for not a whole lot of $$?

Not that it matters, but i mainly play in Drop D.

-Sin
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you ever plan on playing out you should probably buy the Boss pedal tuner used or new...it works well and they are indestructible. Find one used if you can...
Old 24th February 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Your tuner is fine.

Intonation and Set up on the guitar are the problem.
Old 24th February 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by candidate ➑️
Your tuner is fine.

Intonation and Set up on the guitar are the problem.
yeah? hmmm...

how would i go about fixing those issues?

forgive me, as i am not a "true" guitarist and only play it when i feel like playing.

i also just put new strings on about a month ago (skinny top, heavy bottom)

-Sin
Old 24th February 2012
Lives for gear

Well if you out a different size set of strings on then were on there it prob messed up your intonation. You should take your guitar to a guitar shop and ask them to do a setup.

As for another tuner, some of my fav's are TC Polytune and Peterson strobostomp.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepipe ➑️
Well if you out a different size set of strings on then were on there it prob messed up your intonation. You should take your guitar to a guitar shop and ask them to do a setup.

As for another tuner, some of my fav's are TC Polytune and Peterson strobostomp.
that's completely ridiculous, your intonation goes out from either the neck bending slightly either with relief or outward. Usually in the winter you get relief [flat] and in the summer the neck tends to move outward [sharp].NOT FROM CHANGING STRINGS.
To the OP If your guitar has not been properly set up you odds are the intonation is off. A quick way to test is to play a harmonic on the 12th fret of each string, then fret at the 12th fret. If they are not the same, your intonation is off. The other possibility is you are misfretting, but get the guitar checked out
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➑️
that's completely ridiculous, your intonation goes out from either the neck bending slightly either with relief or outward. Usually in the winter you get relief [flat] and in the summer the neck tends to move outward [sharp].NOT FROM CHANGING STRINGS.
To the OP If your guitar has not been properly set up you odds are the intonation is off. A quick way to test is to play a harmonic on the 12th fret of each string, then fret at the 12th fret. If they are not the same, your intonation is off. The other possibility is you are misfretting, but get the guitar checked out
ok cool. like i said, im no guitar expert. i can only play in Drop D and only play when i feel like rocking out.

i shot over an quick email to Ted Brown Music Company here in Washington to see if they do anything with guitars, so hopefully ill hear back from them.

i dunno who else to turn to if they dont, cause i doubt Guitar Center would do that sort of thing......or would they?

-Sin
Old 26th February 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft13 ➑️
ok cool. like i said, im no guitar expert. i can only play in Drop D and only play when i feel like rocking out.

i shot over an quick email to Ted Brown Music Company here in Washington to see if they do anything with guitars, so hopefully ill hear back from them.

i dunno who else to turn to if they dont, cause i doubt Guitar Center would do that sort of thing......or would they?

-Sin
some do, some don't. really depends on the store and if they've hired anyone with that kinda knowledge.

I'd definitely get it taken somewhere so that it can be set-up and intonated properly. make sure you tell them that you mainly play in drop-d and what size strings you use so they set it up properly.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Musiclab;7602624]that's completely ridiculous, your intonation goes out from either the neck bending slightly either with relief or outward. Usually in the winter you get relief [flat] and in the summer the neck tends to move outward [sharp].NOT FROM CHANGING STRINGS. End qoute

And what is it you think happens when you change gauge of strings on a guitar? Your neck moves!! It requires a set up. Sheesh before insulting an experienced player think a second about what I was saying. the poster said they put on light top heavy bottom strings. That's not stock on any production guitar. Meaning there is increased tension.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Highly recommended Peterson Strobosoft Deluxe

Plug in through your interface or direct into your computer and it's right there on your display.

For set up and intonation and for general tuning, I've found nothing better.

If you click the small back dot between the arrows to right of the round
strobe screen, it opens a resizable strobe display that you can drag to full screen.

Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I tried almost everything and I still come back to my Boss TU-12H. NOT the pedal version but the 'vintage' standalone with the needle.

I find it so much easier to use than any pedal tuner I've tried and for some reason ALL pedal tuners were messing with the sound when bypassed on my pedalboard.

I use the Boss tuner through the Tuner Out of either a Ernie Ball or Boss volume pedal and I will keep it that way. It's also convenient to have the tuner always on just for speed's sake and periodic checks even during song performance.

BTW It seems that this tuner is discontinued now? Doesn't make sense to me but luckily I own two of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Guitar Tuner?-tu_12h_main.jpg  
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Cleartune iPhone App is the ****!
Old 27th February 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

[QUOTE=litepipe;7607473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➑️
that's completely ridiculous, your intonation goes out from either the neck bending slightly either with relief or outward. Usually in the winter you get relief [flat] and in the summer the neck tends to move outward [sharp].NOT FROM CHANGING STRINGS. End qoute

And what is it you think happens when you change gauge of strings on a guitar? Your neck moves!! It requires a set up. Sheesh before insulting an experienced player think a second about what I was saying. the poster said they put on light top heavy bottom strings. That's not stock on any production guitar. Meaning there is increased tension.
did you read his posts, he didn't go from say 009 to 011, he just put a skinny bottom heavy top set on. The weather would have more to do with his neck moving. Sure if you go to up a gauge or two you will have to adjusts the truss rod. BTW I didn't insult you sorry you took it that way, as far as experience goes, I been playing for over 45 years
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

I know you've been playing a long time. I've read a lot of your posts. ;-)

I find it depends on the guitar sometimes. I have one strat in particular that is very sensitive to gauge change. Don't know why. But it doesn't take much for the neck to shift.
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Guru

Well I have one guitar, an Ibanez PL 2550 that the neck is so figity that I don't even bother putting the truss cover on. Weather is usually the biggest factor
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not being funny, but if you have the multitool (or a screwdriver) for your guitar, you can do it yourself and a setup is actually quite easy to do after a couple of goes.

There are some really good video tutorials on youtube that got me going on it. Now I save myself e50 when my guitar needs a setup. Its not hard to do if you are patient and careful...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Gearslutz App
Old 28th February 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
With my hearing difficulties I must be able to trust a tuner, especially
when setting up intonation.

The sampling, needle tuners like the TU-12 make it very difficult for me
to determine if the tuning is on or not when the note is already decaying
before I can lock it in on pitch.

Even dead on center with the needle, I still find myself re-tuning to the
harmonics.

The Strobosoft tuner gets the intontion right and then tuning accurately
is a breeze.

If your intonation is off, it's mighty tough to tune accurately with any tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker ➑️
I tried almost everything and I still come back to my Boss TU-12H. NOT the pedal version but the 'vintage' standalone with the needle.

I find it so much easier to use than any pedal tuner I've tried and for some reason ALL pedal tuners were messing with the sound when bypassed on my pedalboard.

I use the Boss tuner through the Tuner Out of either a Ernie Ball or Boss volume pedal and I will keep it that way. It's also convenient to have the tuner always on just for speed's sake and periodic checks even during song performance.

BTW It seems that this tuner is discontinued now? Doesn't make sense to me but luckily I own two of these.
Old 29th February 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=Musiclab;7611717]
Quote:
Originally Posted by litepipe ➑️
did you read his posts, he didn't go from say 009 to 011, he just put a skinny bottom heavy top set on. The weather would have more to do with his neck moving. Sure if you go to up a gauge or two you will have to adjusts the truss rod. BTW I didn't insult you sorry you took it that way, as far as experience goes, I been playing for over 45 years
Yeah, like i said, im using Ernie Ball "Skinny Top Heavy Bottom" strings.

Ill do some searching around to see if anyone does guitar setups around here. Hopefully ill be lucky...

-Sin
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the iStrobosoft tuner for the iPhone is a great deal at $9.99 and works well. For stage, i have an old Boss TU-2 tuner that is OK not great; the ability to use it as a mute helps.

Will be looking to upgrade in the next 9 months.
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My favorite pedal tuner is by far the Korg Pitch Black tuner.

Easy to see and I felt it was more accurate than my Boss pedal tuner.
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
i am 100% happy with my korg pitchblack. I would replace it ASAP if ever lost or broken.
πŸ“ Reply