TELECASTER!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TELECASTER!!
Old 9th February 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Wink TELECASTER!!

Hi guys and girls!!

I'm about to spend about Β£700 on a Fender Telecaster. Any recomendations regarding make and model?
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"American Made" version
Old 9th February 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Some models come with the big square humbucker in the neck position.
I really don't like those.
I think they are stupid hot and overpower the bridge pickup.
I would recommend american made with the standard pickups.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you're only going to have one variety, then yes--standard pickup config. and go for american made obviously... you have the budget... 700 is plenty to get a nice one in good shape.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Regarding new models, the American Deluxe impressed me as good quality, good value, and reasonably true to the Telecaster Mission wrt sound.

John-
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love the title!

I bought myself a Telecaster a few months ago. A good guitarist told me to get
- American made
- with standard pickups (no humbuckers)
- rosewood fretboard (as oposite to mable which are light-colored)

I did and I am totally happy with it

Good luck

Kalli
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by john caldwell
Regarding new models, the American Deluxe impressed me as good quality, good value, and reasonably true to the Telecaster Mission wrt sound.

John-
ditto, got one, love it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You may wanna consider installing Alnico replacement pickups:

I have some very sweet higher output p/u's in my Jap tele. they're made by Harmonic Design in California. Very reasonably priced and very musical. Not mushy, over-wound etc... Just fat!
Gear Guru
I got a Muddy waters Artist model from Sam Ass for $500. Made in Ensenada BC, the quality is as good or better than the American Standard models. Ash body, rosewood figerboard, same pickups and hardware as used in American models.

For me it was a simple question:

Do I want my Tele to be made by Mexicans in Ensenada Mexico or do I want my Tele to me made by Mexicans in Corona CA?

It holds up in quality to my 69 rosewood model (George Harrison type used in Let it Be), my 60's tele custom sunburst, the 69 thinline mahogony and my custom made birds-eye maple tele twelve string.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9
You may wanna consider installing Alnico replacement pickups:

I have some very sweet higher output p/u's in my Jap tele. they're made by Harmonic Design in California. Very reasonably priced and very musical. Not mushy, over-wound etc... Just fat!
if you are going to put different pickups in, by all means get Lindy Fralins. This guy makes pickups that have the tele magic.
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi
I played a lot of Fender Teles last year before buying a Fernandes Tele.
I hope this isn't hijacking but I just couldn't find the right Fender.
I was in Rudy's in New York and this thing was sitting there and it was and still is a beauty.
Much cheaper.
Much nicer sound.
YMMV
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LINDY FRALINS

LINDY FRALINS

Yeah, I've heard good stuff bout those as well as the Aussie noiseless wonders Kinman. The broadcaster ones are particularly fine so I hear. Apparently, tonally they both leave the Fender noiseless ones in the dust. Tempted by both: pocket resisting though!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
G&L
used = < 700

get a damn G+L

one more time
G&L
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yep... Damn fine! As are Fernandez!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think you should go for the traditional 3 way saddles equipped one (yes the one with the cheap sheet metal thingy). The traditional bridge gives the right snap and tone you'd associate with the Tele sound on many records. These days, you can find a few different companies that offer replacement saddles with compensated angles for perfect intonation, so you don't have to worry about tuning problems.

Other than that, you'd never know which one you would end up liking, so play as many as you can get your hands on. Good luck!
Gear Guru
Part of the tele lure is the sonics from the original pickups. Changing them is like replacing the capsule on a capacitor mic with one from another maker. Not the same mic anymore.

I use all original pickups in my tele's. No replacements have the bandwidth and pop that the original pickups have. Most replacements are adding turns of wire or heavier magnetic loads in order to increase output. My Teles all have active circuit preamps so level is not an issue with these nor is loading from volume pots, tone controls, guitar cables, etc. I've overcome noise issues by completely shielding the coils and innards. That took care of hf buzz and string grounding issues. I can take my hands off the instument and it's quiet. Pickups are mounted with latex tubing to damp resonances, all metal springs are removed. This way I can crank up the Basson 120 head to full without any squeals or feedback until I release a string.

For hum issues I designed a circuit that is fed from a dummy coil I mount between the 2 pickups. It uses phase cancellation to tune the hum harmonics out electronically. My sunburst tele custom measures -80 db noise on the Audio Precision analyzer. It's dead quiet, less noise than many humbuckers cause I can tune it out precisely via trimpot.

I have original tone, output levels that can melt amps, and no noise.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9
LINDY FRALINS

Yeah, I've heard good stuff bout those as well as the Aussie noiseless wonders Kinman. The broadcaster ones are particularly fine so I hear. Apparently, tonally they both leave the Fender noiseless ones in the dust. Tempted by both: pocket resisting though!
My telecaster is a Kinman Blueprint.
It is an an astonishingly good guitar, but I have Seymour Duncans in it.
It has been my main guitar since 1992.

Chris Kinman's pickups are great though- and he is a great guy.
Old 9th February 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Id quit guitar before I bought a tele
very bad sounding guitar. Then again
all fenders sound kinda quirky
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
For hum issues I designed a circuit that is fed from a dummy coil I mount between the 2 pickups. It uses phase cancellation to tune the hum harmonics out electronically. My sunburst tele custom measures -80 db noise on the Audio Precision analyzer. It's dead quiet, less noise than many humbuckers cause I can tune it out precisely via trimpot.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim, do you sell this stuff? I suppose this only works with the active circuit you designed?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah.... Very clever, Jim! I'd also like to know a bit more please! What's a gearslut got to pay for something like that?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
reply # 1) G + L!! great value. solid guitar.

reply #2) i know this is out of the price range by a LOT but i just have to share these pics from the site of the guy who made my 2 great guitars. warning, he is a little "different" than your average guitar maker. this may be the most kick ass tele ever tho. i kind of wish it was mine.

http://www.zacharyguitars.com/130106pics.htm
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I sat at a friend's house last Sunday night after the SuperBowl and played his two Teles.
One is a 100% stock '53 and the other is a 100% stock, but expertly re-fined '54.
The difference in these two GTRs is remarkable since they were made within a year of each other.
Still, no Tele I have ever played made before the CBS take over in the early '60s is even in the same universe.

The customshop re-issues get close and I have played a well worn '68 (with a rosewood neck) that was good, too.
The biggest difference is is combination of the wood and the nitro cellulose paint that the originals have. It doesn't seem like the paint would make a huge difference, BUT IT DOES.

I own one of almost every style electric there is EXCEPT for a Tele.
The reason I don't own one is because there is not a Tele that I want to sink money into that is close to the real deal.

If it were me in your shoes I would find a stock original and hold it in my lap and play it to get an idea of what a REAL Tele sounds like. Once you know this information I would try to find the GTR that gets closest to that feel.

The difference between ANY currently manufactured Tele or Tele copy and an original is in my opinion the widest difference in any guitar. The shape is the same, but that is about it. I wish this wasn't true because I'd like to own a nice Tele! Just not enough to spend the kind of money neccesary to get what I want!

Danny Brown
Old 11th February 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
stike B*U*M*P for Jimm Williams! stike
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit
Nice looking guitar! But you should tell the guy to post more pictures.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Hahahahaha!

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll

Scroll

..............................ad nausem.

Nic picks tho
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
LUK model T

boutique tele

http://luk-guitars.de/

this guitar is amazing....the most direct sounding guitar i have ever had the pleasure of playing... the bridge pickup can crunch with the best of them and the neck pu delivers that typically blissful tele neck sound.

i have had it for about 2 years now and am still blown away by it.

if you are going to go the fender route then i'd say go to as many guitar shops as you can and play play play.... until you find bliss.

cheers, warner
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pettit
Some models come with the big square humbucker in the neck position.
Those would be called the "Telecaster Custom"... which is my favorite version of the animal. I prefer them with rosewood fret boards but Keith Richards seems to like them with maple fretboards [and lord knows he's had more sucess with his than I've had with mine].

The Gibson version of this guitar is called the "Marauder" which was released for a very few years in the middle 70's and usually available on eBay for like $400 USD [+/- 3db]... they were the only guitar Gibson ever made [of which I'm aware] that had an epoxy potted Humbucker [in the neck position] and single coil [in the bridge position]... they were fukking awsome instruments I don't know why they never caught on... I'm just glad they didn't so I can still buy them inexpensively.

Peace.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
he is proud of his work alright....hehehe!

his guitars sound fantastic.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedohr
I love the title!

I bought myself a Telecaster a few months ago. A good guitarist told me to get
- American made
- with standard pickups (no humbuckers)
- rosewood fretboard (as oposite to mable which are light-colored)
My wife bought me a sunburst Tele with maple neck. Up until now I've always had rosewood fingerboards.... but I love this guitar heh
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Part of the tele lure is the sonics from the original pickups. Changing them is like replacing the capsule on a capacitor mic with one from another maker. Not the same mic anymore.

I use all original pickups in my tele's. No replacements have the bandwidth and pop that the original pickups have. Most replacements are adding turns of wire or heavier magnetic loads in order to increase output. My Teles all have active circuit preamps so level is not an issue with these nor is loading from volume pots, tone controls, guitar cables, etc. I've overcome noise issues by completely shielding the coils and innards. That took care of hf buzz and string grounding issues. I can take my hands off the instument and it's quiet. Pickups are mounted with latex tubing to damp resonances, all metal springs are removed. This way I can crank up the Basson 120 head to full without any squeals or feedback until I release a string.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
respectifully your wrong about Lindy Fralin, his pickups are about tone rather than hot and he is a vintage fender kind of guy. His pickups sound like the nicest old tele pickup you've ever heard. I'm not a fan of the duncan fender replacements at all.
Which to me me don't sound right, all of the not hot pickups are just too thin.
πŸ“ Reply