The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what type of cable for an acoustic/electric guitar??
Old 9th December 2009
  #1
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
what type of cable for an acoustic/electric guitar??

I bought my son a Yamaha FGX720SCA today, I've searched and for some reason cannot find what type of cable that is needed to plug into the amp from the guitar. The 1/4 I tried wouldn't fit, am I missing something? help?
Old 11th December 2009
  #2
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
Nobody has a freakin acoustic/electric?
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Yamaha cable

Hey - I can't imagine that the guitar jack requires anything other than a 1/4" TS regular guitar cable. IF the guitar as a stereo output, you may need a special cable ... but I checked on-line specs and don't see that as a feature. I have found that sometimes new jacks are rather stiff. Some acoustic/electrics now feature an unbalanced XLR jack, but usually have a 1/4" output as well.

Is there any way to post a close up photo of the jack? I can't find a manual for that guitar on line, so your best bet is to call Yamaha directly. They have always been amazingly helpful and patient when I have called them about anything.

Good luck!
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusEsq ➑️
Hey - I can't imagine that the guitar jack requires anything other than a 1/4" TS regular guitar cable. IF the guitar as a stereo output, you may need a special cable ... but I checked on-line specs and don't see that as a feature. I have found that sometimes new jacks are rather stiff. Some acoustic/electrics now feature an unbalanced XLR jack, but usually have a 1/4" output as well.

Is there any way to post a close up photo of the jack? I can't find a manual for that guitar on line, so your best bet is to call Yamaha directly. They have always been amazingly helpful and patient when I have called them about anything.

Good luck!
Thank you greatly for trying to help me. I also cannot imagine it needing something other than a 1/4 which is why I was baffled when it didnt fit. Unless I didnt try hard enough, never had a cable problem in my life. I dont have the guitar in my possession my son has it, he lives apart from me, but I put in a voicemail, and will go back to the store tomorrow to investigate further. Strange. Thanks again.
Old 11th December 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
BLUElightCory's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin James ➑️
I bought my son a Yamaha FGX720SCA today, I've searched and for some reason cannot find what type of cable that is needed to plug into the amp from the guitar. The 1/4 I tried wouldn't fit, am I missing something? help?
It's just a normal 1/4" cord; maybe try a different cable? Can't imagine why it wouldn't work for you.
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
If your son has a Monster brand cable, that could be the issue. Monster's plugs have a tendency to be over-sized a bit and IMO are really bad for the inserts on your equipment. The workaround would be to try a hosa, radio shack, belkin, pro co...etc.
Old 16th December 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
uptheoctave's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Could you have a broken jack tip in the socket?
Old 18th December 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
A bit off-topic, but do the Monster cables that tout themselves as being especially for especially for acoustic guitars really make a difference? Does anyone have experience using them? They cost about double the price of the normal monster cables, and I have some friends that "swear" by them but I don't really buy into the hype. Anyone have experience with this cables?
Old 18th December 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
BLUElightCory's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJustin ➑️
A bit off-topic, but do the Monster cables that tout themselves as being especially for especially for acoustic guitars really make a difference? Does anyone have experience using them? They cost about double the price of the normal monster cables, and I have some friends that "swear" by them but I don't really buy into the hype. Anyone have experience with this cables?
They do sound a bit different but probably nothing someone would notice if you swapped it out while they weren't looking.

On a semi-related note, I recently tracked a bass player that brought in the really expensive Monster cables with the stiff braided nylon outer wrap. They sounded noticeably HORRIBLE when compared to the normal Livewire cables we had been using up to that point. I spent over an hour trying to figure out why the bass sounded so muddy all of the sudden and we eventually traced the problem back to the Monster cables. Tossed them aside, hooked the Livewires back up, and everything sounded good again. Crazy.
Old 19th December 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
Thank you very much guys. Really appreciate the effort to offer solutions. My son tells me he was able to get the 1/4 cable to work.

Fail moment for dad. I've been hooking up gear for many years too ack.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump