The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New bass amp for 60's 70's 80's band?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New bass amp for 60's 70's 80's band?

Hi all,

I recently joined a function band playing bass guitar. I have been playing bass as well as lead guitar for years, but I don't have an amp at the moment.

I'm after that really smooth, warm, compressed tone, from a combo amp that I can fit in the boot of my car (Ford Puma!) It needs to be capable of gig volumes if poss, but I can DI or mic into the PA if it's not quite loud enough. The band is a 3 piece so volume levels are fairly tame.

Any suggestions people? I'm currently playing a Bass Collection 4-string, but that may change in the future.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 14th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Budget? I'd probably go with an Eden combo if you're after something really clean and deep. Excellent amps but not exactly cheap.
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
js1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mesa Walkabout would fit the bill - has that smooth, warm, compressed tone (without a compressor) that you're looking for. 300W combo (12" or 15"), tube front end, built in DI. Don't know what U.K. pricing would be like, though.

js
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I borrowed a Peavey TNT150 for the first gig, along with my friend's MIJ Jazz bass.
I set the eq pretty flat on the amp, selected the neck pickup and rolled the tone right off.

And there it was - the sound!

Volume was ok, even in a large pub. Could have miked it up for a little more volume, but it really was ok.

So what am I missing here? TNT's are cheap secondhand, fit in the back of my little car, sound ok and aint too heavy! Why shouldn't I just get one of these?

Cheers,

Jim

Last edited by jimcroisdale; 21st November 2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Spelung....
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have an Aguilar AG500 that's very versatle. It's got a warm tone, but has more solid state punch than something really gooey like an SVT.

They're around $1200 new, but I bet you could get a deal on a used one. If you got a small head like this, you could also get a small cab, say a 2x12. That way you could have the ability to just upgrade to a bigger cab later if you wanted.

🎧 10 years
A colleague who regularly tours uses Eden and has experienced some pretty horrific reliability issues, which I have seen first hand.

I still have an 'old' Trace Elliot combo (early 90s?) that has done hundreds of gigs and works perfectly, other than replacing the odd crackly pot over the years.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I've had two friend who've had their Eden amps die on them. I don't know what the deal is, but they're not exactly like an old, trusty all-tube amp that's easy to fix. Both of my friends went through tough times getting their Edens back up and running.

I know it's kind of an old school choice considering today's range of bass amps, but I've always liked Gallien Krueger 800RBs. They're used by so many studios (both recording and rehearsal) because they're pretty much bullet proof. Maybe an option.
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Check out the ampeg B200r. I would also recommend Gallien-krueger amps.
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If I was in the UK I'd be looking for an old Trace Elliot tube combo amp. But really, if you already found the sound you like with a TNT there's no reason to get anything else. I use a pignose tube amp, the one they made a few years ago as their take on the Ampeg B15 sound, I like it quite a bit but there's a ton of choices out there. There's a nice Mesa Boogie in the classifieds right now but I imagine shipping on a 200lb amp to the UK from the states would be bad. Go to talkbass.com and see what's there in the classifieds.
πŸ“ Reply