Quantcast
Best guitar compressor pedal? - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best guitar compressor pedal?
Old 30th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Why does hair grow everywhere but on your head???
Old 15th June 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just got the Diamond Compressor after going through;

EHX BlackFinger (Amazing, but too big for my board. A favourite for direct bass though)
MXR Dynacomp (One trick pony, and a trick I don't use much)
Analogman CompRossor (Just didn't work for me. Kinda the same trick as the Dynacomp, but more hifi)

The Diamond is everything I needed. Sprakling, focused cleans all day long. There's no need for a blend knob due to the smooth and transparent character of the opto-compression. And the tone shaping you can do with the tilt EQ gives you that jangly 60's sound when you boost highs.

There's alot of praise for this thing, and I gotta say it's well deserved.
Old 16th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A lot of nice compressors out there these days. I still dislike the old classics as too overt and not transparent. The Wampler is very transparent to the natural sound of the guitar and the blend offers just that much more option to its use.
Personally you could not give me Dyna or a Ross or anything that is a close mod of them. I stopped using compressors for ages because of how they killed the dynamics of the signal. The Wampler made me realize how useful they can be to thicken and boost the sound but in a very natural sounding manner. If you can hear the compressor working, it is not a very good one.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➑️
THE ultimate 80s compressed guitar sound is Jamie West-Oram on The Fixx's "Reach the Beach" album. He would use either a dynacomp or valley dynamite. Chorus was the yellow stereo MXR pedal, split to two Marshall 50w combos for stereo.
He's using a Marshall ED-1 compressor these days. Yes the cheap ED-1.
Still using the yellow MXR.

That man sounds so great.
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just realized how funny Dyna Ross is.
I really do not care who uses what, I see the best often make terrible choices in pedals, let's face it few of these cats are members of Mensa. More than a majority are really dense potato brains that we should not be copying and rather trying a little inventiveness. I would wager a good 99% of who uses what and their opinions are quite useless. I can't say at this point of my rather copious pedal and effect collection I use a single thing because some "name" uses it. I judge and pick pedals and units based upon how they do for me. I am not going to stick a $40 pedal on a 10K rig.
If I experiment and used a bunch of pedals over time and just dislike the hell out of what so and so uses, I should use it anyway?
Most of these guys do not have a clue and rely on their techs to handle everything. When is the last time you had a talk with a musician and walked away thinking man this guy has it figured out?
Anyone is welcome to use what they like, be my guest and may hordes of lemmings copy your every move.
I think I am going to give up talking about pedals as it is pointless. Some are just going to be content and happy using crap. And they have a right to do so.
As they say you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make them float on their back.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
diamonds are forever meaning I leave it own most of the time! Now I need one for my bass.
Old 17th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
There are probably no bad ones out there as someone can find a use for the worst technically working compressor and love it.
There are numerous ones worthy of a better player who can adjust it and can appreciate the transparent more natural tone.
Best thing to do is try some out, run it through the paces on your rig with your guitars. Takes a little time to really dial in a compressor if it has the controls.
I knew first chord out of my Wampler I had the pedal, took me a little time to understand the control interaction and get it where it was more natural to my dynamics. There's a lot of good ones out there just depends on which ones you get lucky enough to try. As far the old classic Dyna Ross ones and copies, country guys tend to love that overt compressive squeeze as it is what helps their technique. I use mine differently as I do not play that style.
Old 22nd August 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi, I'm also looking out for a decent compressor pedal for guitar, I see the Dyna Comp and Keeley are the most popular here, has anyone ever tried a DV Mark DVM Compressore? It's a tube compressor pedal for guitar, but I can't find any sound reviews...
Old 23rd August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonfire ➑️
Hi, I'm also looking out for a decent compressor pedal for guitar, I see the Dyna Comp and Keeley are the most popular here, has anyone ever tried a DV Mark DVM Compressore? It's a tube compressor pedal for guitar, but I can't find any sound reviews...
Depends on how much you want to spend. There are some superior units.
Some of the best pedal ones are the Wampler, Keeley and the Diamond.
For a guitar I feel the less is more approach is best for a compressor, it is really easy to over do it on a guitar. For me I have to have a blend control, and attack, release on the compression. I use a low blend on my Wampler and it usually sounds so enhancing to the sound it stays on most of the time and does not get too much even when switching to high gain tones. Since high gain is naturally compressive I sometimes have to shut it off or get feedback squeals, which may be something you want at some time.
The Cali76 and Sliderig are considered very top end. Also run around $425. My Wampler was $200 and that is well good enough for my needs.

http://www.origineffects.com/Cali76.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGHPVkVdyy4
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/gu...-cali76-567798
Old 23rd August 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I've owned few good ones including Keeley. I found the Barber Tone Press to be the best. Subtle if you want it or max comp
Old 24th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yeah, forgot that one, add up Barber on my list of recommends.
Be hard for anything to beat that Cali76 pretty amazing unit, for $425 it should be. Guy asked for the best, I'd have to say the Cali76.
Old 25th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Barber Tone Press or Keeley 4 knob? I wanna get one or the other.
Old 26th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle ➑️
the keeley is great.
x1000

The Keely 4 button is an absolutely magic box! Although I did keep my Maxon CP-9+ for live use with my acoustic guitar. \m/
Old 27th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Wampler, Keeley and Barber are the best in that price range.
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Took the plunge on the Barber. Should be here in a couple of days. Looking forward to it.
Old 28th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny M ➑️
Have had most of them - Keeley, Bicomp, Boss, etc. Somehow the Dyna Comp I bought new in 77' keeps bumping all the others off the board and has done so for 30+ years now. .
Amen, to that, got mine in 1979 love the sound, especially through my 1980 Musicman 210 75 RP. Friends have Keelys and they are indeed a bit more sophisticated than my Dynacomp but I have very few pedals and the Dynacomp fits the bill.
It has been trouble free and seems to get better with age.
I have tried a newer model recently and the sound was as nice as my older one.
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old 28th August 2014
Another vote for Wampler. Love the tone. Has a nice snap and sparkle. Like a nice rack comp in a pedal.
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd love to try out the higher end Cali76 with the transformer. Might have to sell something first tho :(
Old 31st August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil ➑️
Marvelous pro unit but at $425 a richer players menu. Might be better if you were also doing some more studio stuff as well.
For the $200 range, for me it is the Wampler. I simply have to have some control over the compression and the all important blend control. The one knob classic deals made me stop using a compressor for a number of years. Too overt and killing of dynamics for me. When I tried the Wampler I was amazed how it had such a transparent quality to it but thickened and enhanced the overall tone even when set with a low blend level.
Short of a lottery win I do not think the big three can be beat for versatility and control over the compression.
Old 5th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Tone press arrived today. Amazing sound. Vol at 2, blend at halfway and sustain at 7 with my Ric and the tone is fantastic. Very impressed. Thought it would be less noticeable but it's a big improvement.
Old 6th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Whoa both of those look nice. I'd love to try them.

I'm using the Keeley 4 knob on bass and I like it, but the controls confuse me a bit. The sustain knob doesn't seem to control release the way I expected. If I crank it to the right the release sounds too slow, but cranking it to the left seems to compress the signal harder (as if the threshold were raised, not like fast release- but maybe I'm mistaken?) Sounds good where I have it now but I want to understand it better. Also I haven't had any problems with the makeup gain. Did they improve the design? Mine seems to have enough to destroy my amp. (my bass is active though)
Old 6th September 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
+ another one on the Diamond compressor. I own one (in surf green) and love it. Others are right when they point out that it doesn't do that overly squashed thing that some others do like the keeley, but it will get you a good ways there if you want that sound. Basically it is very transparent and many use it as a sort of tone sweetener.

Heard nothing but good things about the barber as well.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse ➑️
Marvelous pro unit but at $425 a richer players menu. Might be better if you were also doing some more studio stuff as well.
Ahh, well, you have to try it to believe it. I got the Sliderig. It's unlike any other compression pedal. Couldn't love it more.
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➑️
Anyone try the FEA line of pedals? They offer a few optical compressors, including a dual band and one with built in side chain EQ. I've seen a lot of talk about them in the bass guitar community. Reasonably priced in the $250 range.

That's a new one for me. I am a guitarist myself but for Bass a more overt hard compression is more desired.
There does not seem to be a means to blend the straight and compressed signal which I find the ball game for me. Merely turning down the compression level is not the same as it is processing the whole signal through the circuit. The smaller pedals with a blend/mix are more useful for me. The Cali is an outright studio quality recording level unit but more bang than I need on my board. I find the $200 Wampler after you learn to tweak and adjust it to be a marvelous, transparent unit, I often cannot tell if it is on without checking the light as it sounds so natural to the dynamics and feel of the guitar.
Some like overt compression for country and such, it can do that as well but for me it is the ability to use compression but have the unaltered straight signal more upfront in the mix and a lighter thickening sustain quality in there as well.
Old 10th September 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Anyone tried the Maxon CP101? had one of these on my pedalboard for a few years before I bought the Keeley.. the CP101 is very smooth, quiet and is very natural sounding.
Old 10th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka ➑️
Ahh, well, you have to try it to believe it. I got the Sliderig. It's unlike any other compression pedal. Couldn't love it more.
Have to agree. The only 'shortcoming' is it isn't exactly compact or pedal-board friendly. But the sound is a step beyond most other options (and definitely not only for slide, as the name suggests!).
Old 10th September 2014 | Show parent
Wow did Origin Effects post a cat video on youtube or something? There didn't seem to be much use or interest in these a few months ago when this post began... now it looks like everyone wants one or has one! I'll +1 one them again as I do love mine. Both of them
Old 10th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have to add another vote for the DynaComp. It definitely does its own thing... But its a thing I really like. I'd also add a CS-2 to the list for Strat's & Telecasters it's fantastic.

Cheers,
Lex
Old 11th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coniglius ➑️
Wow did Origin Effects post a cat video on youtube or something? There didn't seem to be much use or interest in these a few months ago when this post began... now it looks like everyone wants one or has one! I'll +1 one them again as I do love mine. Both of them
I've had mine a month and a half shy of two years.
πŸ“ Reply