Best guitar compressor pedal? - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best guitar compressor pedal?
Old 22nd February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse ➡️
After I got the Wampler Compressor in couple weeks it became my favorite pedal and the "if could only have one pedal" choice as it is so versatile from a cleaner boost to its compression quality which is very transparent to the true tone of the guitar. Anyone is welcome to what they like. But a compressor pedal can be a really nice thing providing it has the controls to use it less overtly. Turning a 2 knob down is just not the same.
The Xotic SP is a 2 knob compressor...knobs are Volume and Blend. There is a high/med/lo compression switch. Attack, Release, Hi Cut and Threshold level are adjustable internally via DIP switches. I like this because once the internal DIP switches are set, I only need to adjust volume and blend depending on the guitar I'm using. I keep compression switch on low. Just less knobs to worry about when hastily setting up at a gig. Plus the Xotic is about half the size.

I did really like the Wampler, but exchanged it for a second SP due to simplicity and size, as well as the fact it was $70 cheaper. Plus the SP has about twice the gain as the Wampler, so you can turn the blend all the way down and use it as a boost pedal.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimplaysguitar ➡️
I used to use the Keeley for electric but it's just too in-your-face. .
agree!! I was so disappointed with the keeley and I do not understand the hype. It's amazing how many great compressors are out within the last 4 years! Still loving my diamond, but its not all that versatile. I still use it ton but I wish it had blend control. The EQ isn't very useful. I tend to leave it at around 1 o clock for a little high end boost. I would swap it out for a blend knob in a second. Overall it's still very musical kind of like an LA2A for guitar.
Old 22nd February 2014
If you want the studio compressor sound live, then the Origin Effects Cali76 is the way to go. I'm not gonna hype it up, but really it's like being able to carry your 1176 around with you. Tied for second place would be the Effectrode PC-2A and the original '70s Dyna Comp (the new custom shop scripts are close enough in my opinion). The 1176, LA-2A, and original '70s Dyna Comp really are THE three classic guitar compression sounds and every other of the 100's of pedals out there are just trying to emulate or "improve" them. Until someone comes up with a Vari-Mu pedal, those three are the only pedals worth considering in my opinion. That being said, I do like the electro harmonix Black Finger (tube version), but really it's sort of its own thing, set it to "squash" and it has a really cool sort of dirty sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus77 ➡️
Love my Keeley. Get the four-button model if you can. Best of luck.
or 2 knob WITH the mod!!!
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a Keeley and sold it pretty quick. Biggest reason is it lacks makeup gain. With higher gain pickups, kicking it on will reduce your volume when picking heavily, even with level full. That said, turn up the attack and it can remain pretty punchy, and does work well with single coils.

Still, I much prefer a compressor with a blend control. 50/50 setting is perfect for what I want out of a compressor. Brings up the quieter parts, but doesn't kill the dynamics when you dig in.
Old 23rd February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Menatone JAC
Old 25th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
There are lots of good ones out there. I'm really digging my Rothwell Love Squeeze now. Now so much for heavy squish, but for always-on polish. It just makes everything sound more "finished, " if you will.
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➡️
I had a Keeley and sold it pretty quick. Biggest reason is it lacks makeup gain. With higher gain pickups, kicking it on will reduce your volume when picking heavily, even with level full. That said, turn up the attack and it can remain pretty punchy, and does work well with single coils.

Still, I much prefer a compressor with a blend control. 50/50 setting is perfect for what I want out of a compressor. Brings up the quieter parts, but doesn't kill the dynamics when you dig in.
Too true.
I actually run more of a 9:00 blend but the Wampler has so much volume db you can use it as a clean boost. Marvelous pedal. Thickens and adds a boost to the tone which I seldom turn off. Volume is like 10:00 and I am always turning it down as it can easily get too above unity. I never thought I would ever use another compressor as all the "classic" ones made me pull them years ago. In about a week in a great surprise to me that pedal became my fav and my most likely choice if I could have only one pedal. You can use it as a clean boost OD as well as low blend compression.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 Origin Effects Cali76 or SlideRig.
Old 1st March 2014
I recently gave away my new version, MXR Dyna Comp... the initial pick sound was way too percussive.
The Keeley sounds like a good one but, for $245 it better give a happy ending! :o)
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I keep coming back to the T-Rex CompNova.

I've never had a chance to try the FMR ARC pedal. Anybody used it?
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Rivera Sustain Shaman Best compressor pedal?

Hi Gear lover's,
I don't wanna to impose or spam but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of our compressor pedal called the Sustain Shaman. It's one of the quietest ones out there. It has two channels with seperate Attack and Sustain knobs so you can set one for Rhythm and one for Lead. Some are setting using it to set one for strat and one for les paul. The lead channel also has a super sustain switch to give you clean sustain for days! And yes, of course we have the blend knob too.
Here's a video with session legend Dean Parks and Joshua Ray (Gtr player for Shania Twain)
[quote]Rivera Sustain Shaman Compressor Demo - YouTube

Thanks for reading!
Paul Rivera Jr
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=Paul Rivera Jr;9931497]Hi Gear lover's,
I don't wanna to impose or spam but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of our compressor pedal called the Sustain Shaman. It's one of the quietest ones out there. It has two channels with seperate Attack and Sustain knobs so you can set one for Rhythm and one for Lead. Some are setting using it to set one for strat and one for les paul. The lead channel also has a super sustain switch to give you clean sustain for days! And yes, of course we have the blend knob too.
Here's a video with session legend Dean Parks and Joshua Ray (Gtr player for Shania Twain)
Quote:
Rivera Sustain Shaman Compressor Demo - YouTube

Thanks for reading!
Paul Rivera Jr
Just wanna say that I got a Jazz Suprema 55 112 recently...... love it!
Will give your pedals a look in....
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=deng;9931586]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Rivera Jr ➡️
Hi Gear lover's,

Just wanna say that I got a Jazz Suprema 55 112 recently...... love it!
Will give your pedals a look in....
Right on! Thank you!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertonekid ➡️
+1 mxr dynacomp

I don't know if these 2 have been mentioned before but effectrode makes a tube compressor that has that "glassy" warm sound.

Also if you can find one

Quote:
Originally Posted by coniglius ➡️
If you want the studio compressor sound live, then the Origin Effects Cali76 is the way to go. I'm not gonna hype it up, but really it's like being able to carry your 1176 around with you. Tied for second place would be the Effectrode PC-2A and the original '70s Dyna Comp (the new custom shop scripts are close enough in my opinion). The 1176, LA-2A, and original '70s Dyna Comp really are THE three classic guitar compression sounds
Hi guys, can you please tell more about the effectrode compressor?

coniglius, would you compare it with the cali76? Especially noisewise. Thanks a lot
Old 9th April 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoardo ➡️
Hi guys, can you please tell more about the effectrode compressor?

coniglius, would you compare it with the cali76? Especially noisewise. Thanks a lot
They're hard to compare. They both have different sounds. I've only tried the transformer-loaded Cali76s so that's what I base everything I say on. The Cali76 is capable of making more noise than the Effectrode is depending on how you set it. By "noise" I mean the general "hiss" you get from a compressor when it brings up the normally inaudible background noise on the release. The Cali76 has both an input level and output level. If you crank them and really squash your sound and boost it, then it will bring some noise back up with it. While it's compressing it doesn't have any noticeable noise, but it will come back with a wash once it releases. The Effectrode is relatively quiet even if you crank the output though it does have some of the usual noise associated with compression. It's not capable of the "aggressive" sounding compression you can get with the Cali76. If you're looking for something really clean then I'd go with the Effectrode over the Cali76. Personally, I prefer the Cali76. One thing I did not like about the Effectrode is that when you switch it it creates an audible high-pitched "ping!" sound. I was told by Phil that it's "normal" because of the tube. Personally this is not an effect that I'm switching back and forth on during a song so it was not an issue for me. Overall, I would say that if you tried to get the sounds of the two as close as possible as far as compression effect, they would have a similar amount of noise. Another thing I will say about the Effectrode is that I do not like the power supplies the Effectrode stuff comes with. They are the switched type and not transformer isolated and they *always* hum. I've owned 3 different Effectrode pedals and they all create unpredictable levels of hum in different situations with the stock power supplies. I was unable to use them live because of this until I just went ahead and bought a standard large tx-isolated "wall wart" to use with them and that eliminated it. The Cali76s are also a step above in build quality.
Old 9th April 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_asakawa ➡️
+1 Origin Effects Cali76 or SlideRig.
It was a toss-up for me between two Cali76s or a Cali76 and a SlideRig. After some back and forth emails with Origin Effects it turns out I could basically make a more versatile SlideRig with the two Cali76s so I had the best of both worlds. Though with all that control running the two Cali76s in serial, things can get out of hand quickly!
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
+1 for the Wampler Ego Compressor.
Old 11th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➡️
The Xotic SP is a 2 knob compressor...knobs are Volume and Blend. There is a high/med/lo compression switch. Attack, Release, Hi Cut and Threshold level are adjustable internally via DIP switches. I like this because once the internal DIP switches are set, I only need to adjust volume and blend depending on the guitar I'm using. I keep compression switch on low. Just less knobs to worry about when hastily setting up at a gig. Plus the Xotic is about half the size.

I did really like the Wampler, but exchanged it for a second SP due to simplicity and size, as well as the fact it was $70 cheaper. Plus the SP has about twice the gain as the Wampler, so you can turn the blend all the way down and use it as a boost pedal.
Xotic is a good line I like them a lot. My Wampler is like 9:00 unity and is so loud I have to watch the level on it all the time to keep it down, have no issues as more a clean boost as I use little compression. Small pedals are interesting. I do like the Xotic minis they all seem to be very good. I was just considering getting a BB Plus as that pedal is an impressive drive/dist. I like the EP and SL drive and considered both of them over the BB+ but that pedal has some great features and tonal magic.

If I had no compressor I would for sure consider the small Xotic for the money and the tone, plus it does have the all important blend control. Very cool smaller unit. But drop my Wampler for it, naaa, that pedal is just too good and versatile for me. Like my Ecstasy(Euphoria) drive, I have like 6 drives and nothing really can push that one off the board just too versatile. The thing about Wampler and Xotic as they are very transparent sounding pedals. If one has a money crunch then I say Xotic is fine or zZounds 4 payments on the Wampler and go for the win.
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=Paul Rivera Jr;9931497]Hi Gear lover's,
Quote:
Rivera Sustain Shaman Compressor Demo - YouTube

Thanks for reading!
Paul Rivera Jr
I have not seen this one. I tried the Blues Shaman but it was not the right drive for me, very power amp dist sounding, which is not a bad thing was probably the rig I had at the time. This sounds like an interesting compressor I plus I love dual pedals. So do you gate the noise in the pedal as compressors just seem to magnify what they hear, noise gets magnified because it is low level on anything the compressor sees. I like the tone control on the Wampler as well.

Your amps burn by the way!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It was a toss-up for me between two Cali76s or a Cali76 and a SlideRig. After some back and forth emails with Origin Effects it turns out I could basically make a more versatile SlideRig with the two Cali76s so I had the best of both worlds. Though with all that control running the two Cali76s in serial, things can get out of hand quickly!
Curious what your opinion is with two. I have one but considering they are also supposedly useful for general processing of tracks I've debated getting a second. Overkill or bliss? Currently have an embarrassment of guitar-useful compressors (Mike-E, DocDerr, Cali76, MXR Dynacomp) and wondering if I've got that ground conquered yet.
Old 14th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They're hard to compare. They both have different sounds. I've only tried the transformer-loaded Cali76s so that's what I base everything I say on. The Cali76 is capable of making more noise than the Effectrode is depending on how you set it. By "noise" I mean the general "hiss" you get from a compressor when it brings up the normally inaudible background noise on the release. The Cali76 has both an input level and output level. If you crank them and really squash your sound and boost it, then it will bring some noise back up with it. While it's compressing it doesn't have any noticeable noise, but it will come back with a wash once it releases. The Effectrode is relatively quiet even if you crank the output though it does have some of the usual noise associated with compression. It's not capable of the "aggressive" sounding compression you can get with the Cali76. If you're looking for something really clean then I'd go with the Effectrode over the Cali76. Personally, I prefer the Cali76. One thing I did not like about the Effectrode is that when you switch it it creates an audible high-pitched "ping!" sound. I was told by Phil that it's "normal" because of the tube. Personally this is not an effect that I'm switching back and forth on during a song so it was not an issue for me. Overall, I would say that if you tried to get the sounds of the two as close as possible as far as compression effect, they would have a similar amount of noise. Another thing I will say about the Effectrode is that I do not like the power supplies the Effectrode stuff comes with. They are the switched type and not transformer isolated and they *always* hum. I've owned 3 different Effectrode pedals and they all create unpredictable levels of hum in different situations with the stock power supplies. I was unable to use them live because of this until I just went ahead and bought a standard large tx-isolated "wall wart" to use with them and that eliminated it. The Cali76s are also a step above in build quality.

Thanks a a lot man. Cheers!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The Suhr Koji is VERY good - many tonal options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash ➡️
Curious what your opinion is with two. I have one but considering they are also supposedly useful for general processing of tracks I've debated getting a second. Overkill or bliss? Currently have an embarrassment of guitar-useful compressors (Mike-E, DocDerr, Cali76, MXR Dynacomp) and wondering if I've got that ground conquered yet.
I use them a lot and I have a lot of locations in which I do stuff. So it's nice to have one that I can leave "installed" and another one I can transport, etc. As far as getting two for the purpose of running them in serial... Probly not everyone's cup of tea. While I do love just sitting down and experimenting with them together, it's not enough to justify the cost in and of itself. Depends on your setup really. When I want the chained 1176 sound I usually just run the tx DI from one Cali76 directly into my actual 1176 rather than run the two Cali76s serially. If you're looking for the "Sliderig" sound, two of them will give it to you and then some. But keep in mind also that these pedals are big and expensive so you'll not want to lug them around on a pedalboard all the time.
Old 15th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Nice review of the Cali in Premier Guitar or Guitar Player this last issue. Pretty sure it is on line. For my 2cents, depending on your use and rig, a little compression effect goes a long way. One reason I cannot use anything without a "blend" control. Wampler runs $200, Keeley close to $250 and the Cali units something like $350 I think. The Wampler for my money speaking as a wide ranging guitarist is the best buy for me. Despite the Cali and SideRig are probably the best I cannot see dumping the Wampler and spending that much more for an effect I prefer to be more subtle. Seems like the first thing we guitarist complain of in getting into various gains and overdrives is too much compression is not a good thing. Now Bass players of course is different animal. But for a guitarist too much compression is too much of a good thing. Recording of course is a whole different magic forest when it comes to using compression.

What I enjoy about the Wampler Comp is that it is s very transparent to the natural feel and tone of the guitar while thickening and boosting the over all quality of the signal. I used to hate the various "classical" popular compressors and what they did to my signal much less have to shut it off on higher gains and such at times. I listen to a lot of stuff using the Wampler and it impressed me how it thickened and made the overall tone better. Plus blend it down and it remains more subtle but still there.
As always do what rings your cow bell or can be squeezed from your budget.
+10 on the Wampler for the bucks and as a guitarist.
Old 15th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a DOD FX84 Milkbox...Now discontinued (few on ebay)
Love this box, its the later 2000 model and not the cow print one.
Apparently it also does a great job on bass.
Incidentally here is a site with loads of compressors… reviewed on bass
Compressor Reviews
Old 16th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan ➡️
All of the compressor pedals that I have and have tried are cool in different ways. The TC Electronic is my favorite for that Bill Frisell clean sound. The old blue Boss one is cool for over the top compression.

Try them as an insert in a mix too. The orange DOD pedal works good this way.
It's hard to quantify the best... But I agree my fav compression pedal is awesome for that real bright "bite"...

I'll deff have to try the T.C. Pedal you mentioned as I also adore Bill Frisell. Would you be so kind as to share the model name if you have occasion... I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Alexa
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This one
Attached Thumbnails
Best guitar compressor pedal?-image_8088.jpg  
Old 29th April 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPro ➡️
This one