Best guitar compressor pedal? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best guitar compressor pedal?
Old 27th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
recently heard (and immediatly bought) the Cocacomp by Okka:
OKKO CocaComp Compressor + Boost

very impressive, indeed different to all other stompbox compressors I have tried, feels more like an LA2a for guitar - seriously!
Old 28th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Wampler Ego Compressor, extraordinary pedal. Tone, attack, and blend to mix w the straight signal. I had not used a compressor for many years, sort of hated the "classics", heard some demos on this one and thought I could make use of it, Thickens, sustains and enhances the tone while remaining invisible without any sense of hearing or feeling the compressor come on or release, incredibly smooth and transparent.
Became my fav pedal in like a week. I wrote a review on it in the review section.
Old 31st March 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
+1 mxr dynacomp

I don't know if these 2 have been mentioned before but effectrode makes a tube compressor that has that "glassy" warm sound.

Also if you can find one. I like the pigtronix attack sustain. Its essentially the asdr on a keyboard plus a really nice compressor with a harmonics knob to dial in grit...
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
TC Electronics - very smooth, great sound, loved it except, when you really crank the compression on, the make up gain wasn't enough. Sold it, though I wish I had kept it.

MXR - I have a bunch of these. I even had a script one, but it has died now. I need to dig it up an fix it one of these days. MXR are kind of nasty but in a good way. Adds a little edge and a real obvious compression. Absolutely love it for country with a tele. The Ross and all the later clones are this circuit.

CS2 - somewhere in between. Also a very good pedal. The cs3 - not.

I recently built one of those Build Your Own 2 knob compressors. Right now, it is my fav, like the old MXR but just a touch smoother, in a good way. I used the "can" chip. Easy build, great, great pedal.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A compressor without a "blend" mix control, an "attack release" control, much less a "tone" control, is just not that great as one cannot control the compressor effect.
I would rather have a unit that has a range of so transparent to overt that one has all options. There are only maybe 2-3 pedals I see as having this ability. The various "classic" models people talk so much about are the very ones and the reasons why I stopped using compressors for many years.

Why anyone would want a compressor to add dirt into the signal is another mystery for me. There is more to the sound of a good compressor to the tone that is much more than the chicken-pickin clamp of the dynacomp's. It adds a thickness, a natural sustain and being able to blend the straight signal makes for a sonic enhancement that has to be heard to apparently realize the difference in a cheese pedal.

Everyone is welcome to their own views, as a very long term player of heavy fusion ranging from blues to heavy rock/metal, you could not take the Wampler Compressor from me at gun point.
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I like my Diamond compressor.
Old 9th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
+1 on the Carl Martin Compressor / Limiter
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm being tempted by the prospect of really cheap recording compressors, used for guitars. A really cheap recording compressor will be miles ahead of any guitar compressor in design, and I doubt that it would be more expensive than a boutique stompbox.

For the most part this is what I do, except for the Orange Squeezer I use on stage because it's so portable.

I'm not mentioning any model numbers because of all the @#$%&s that watch these pages and try to corner the market on a particular piece.
Old 31st July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the yellow Diamond. It stays on all the time. Very nice.
Old 31st July 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Keeley 4-knob
Old 31st July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Pigtronix Philosophers Tone is great, as is the Analogman BiCompressor
Old 1st August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by probos ➑️
I like my Diamond compressor.
best compressor I have used/owned.... very low to no noise, great sound, doesn't over squish, doubles as a boost, simple layout, useful EQ, solid build/audiophile components.

Can't go wrong with the diamond.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Boss CS-3 (Monteallums Opto Plus Mod)
A great sounding modded compressor that lets the true character of the signal come through preserving all the frequencies of the original signal
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really like my new Strymon OB1

its my first comp pedal so nothing to compare it to but my les paul heading thru it and my green Rhino OD pedal into my 65 amps london pro is mind blowing for me and that chimey old school vox sound
Old 7th October 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I think the Empress Compressor is hard to beat.
One of the few that let's you set attack and release times, plus a blend function.

Compared it to the Earthquaker Warden in the shop. I went with the Empress in the end, mainly for its gain reduction display. The best two comp pedals I've tried so far.
Old 8th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I cannot imagine anyone dialing in the Wampler Compressor and not loving that thing. I hated compressors for ages, that puppy became one of my fav all time pedals once I learned to use it properly. The "blend" control makes all the difference. If there is a better one than the Wampler I am not sure I could deal with it.
Old 12th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
These are supposed to be quite good:
Origin Effects :: Products
I haven't played one just in case I actually think its worth the money.
Old 25th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly ➑️
These are supposed to be quite good:
Origin Effects :: Products
I haven't played one just in case I actually think its worth the money.
Actually, I totally forgot to put one of the Origins on my list. Trying to decide between the SlideRig and the Cali76. Thinking the SlideRig might be more fun.
Old 25th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoGF ➑️
Keeley 4-knob
I prefer the two knob, just because clipping and attack I just set once and forget, so it simplifies setting up at gigs having only two knobs.

It's a great sounding compressor, unfortunately it has very little makeup gain. It won't really go much past unity. For my particular rig, I need the compressor to boost, so I had to move on. Now using an Xotic SP. Sounds almost identical, plus it has the blend control, and about 15db of boost.
Old 26th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Can't see a compressor being that useful without a "blend" control or ability to adjust the release and attack. Might be good for country but tends to take over the tone and change ones attack dynamic. The blend allows the straight guitar to hold with the compression attributes lighter in the mix.
If there is a better one than the Wampler Compressor I am not sure I could handle it. Once you find the settings that work for your tones mine hardly ever goes off or needs adjusted, regardless of cleans or gains.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
This might be a silly question but has anyone tried the Line 6 tone core compressor? It has it's own noise gate built in and it's under $100! Might be a good option if you are on a budget? I'd love to know if anyone has given it a chance?

Sent from my SGH-I747M
Old 27th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sloth ➑️
This might be a silly question but has anyone tried the Line 6 tone core compressor? It has it's own noise gate built in and it's under $100! Might be a good option if you are on a budget? I'd love to know if anyone has given it a chance?

Sent from my SGH-I747M
Not sure which I dislike more Line 6 or their noise gate because their digital stuff is a hiss fest. Maybe they have a good pedal I got so burned out on Line 6 I cannot even think of one.
Old 27th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sloth ➑️

Sent from my SGH-I747M
Despite its pedigree (and its name, FWIW), the Line 6 'Constrictor' is actually a pretty decent sounding compressor. Not necessarily the best for all occasions, but surprisingly usable all the same.
Old 27th October 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogBrain ➑️
Any recommendations for a decent guitar compressor pedal?

I never used one live before, but love what comps do to my sound in the studio.

Thanks guys!
-Neil
Wampler Ego Compressor. Awesome.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you like the sound of the one in your studio and you're not playing live, then use the one in your studio

I DI my guitar into a tube preamp, from there to a compressor, an XLR cable from there to a Radial ProRMP and short guitar cable to the amp. Then you don't need a guitar compressor and you don't need a clean boost (just crank the compressor output or the preamp output). If you have an eq in there you don't need a guitar eq either. You do need another channel input to record it though
Old 21st February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just bought and have been obsessively using an Empress Compressor. It has parameters that you could find on any studio compressor and the tone to match it - it also has 3 ratios to choose from or alternate between. So awesome.

I also have an MXR Dynacomp, I LOVE how much it fattens my tone and how much sustain it gives me. Best of luck!
Old 21st February 2014 | Show parent
Deleted User
exotic SP... small versatile as transparent or a squished as you want ..pretty quiet .. not so bad
Old 21st February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Got the Sliderig a few months ago. It's like nothing else on the planet. Incredibly gorgeous sound. Doesn't change your tone.
Old 21st February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I like the Aphex Punch Factory for electric and the Keeley 2-knob for acoustic.

I used to use the Keeley for electric but it's just too in-your-face. The Aphex is really transparent. So, depends on your taste.

The MXR Custom Comp is nice too but I don't own one.
Old 22nd February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

35 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A compressor pedal is a marvelous pedal to be used badly.
I stopped using them for the overt effect they had screwing up the natural dynamics of the guitar like a bad noise gate. With the onset of better guitar compressors with more control on the sustain and release of the compression as well as the all important and key issue a "blend" control which allows the compressor signal to be mixed with the straight signal allowing a nice compressed signal but not letting it be dominant. Any compressor pedal with adjustment controls for the compression ratio and the release and the all important "blend" or "mix" is just heads above a simple 2 knob compressor pedal that one may be keeping on a low setting.
After I got the Wampler Compressor in couple weeks it became my favorite pedal and the "if could only have one pedal" choice as it is so versatile from a cleaner boost to its compression quality which is very transparent to the true tone of the guitar. Anyone is welcome to what they like. But a compressor pedal can be a really nice thing providing it has the controls to use it less overtly. Turning a 2 knob down is just not the same.
πŸ“ Reply